The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, jyu said:

Pearson? He was already under contract. Besides, Pears serves a different role to Toffoli.

And Holtby sucked and that was a waste of cap space. Even worse, we bought him out. For your argument to stand, Holtby had to be at least a roster player making a positive contribution. 

Schmidt didn’t replace Tanev. Tanev handled tough minutes, especially instrumental on our PK. Schmidt doesn’t suck but to try to replace Tanev with Schmidt is like trying to replace Malholtra with Vrbata. 

You actually just made my argument for me. JB replaced Marky with Holtby, who was washed up. He replaced Tanev with Schmidt, a lefty and a player that plays a completely different role to Tanev. 

“Let’s replace our best shot blocker and shoot suppressor and perfect partner to nurture our best defense prospect in Hughes with a puck move who plays all over the ice!”

“Holtby, a cup winning goalie is on the UFA? Oh screw Marky, let’s ignore Holtby’s performance for the last few years and bring him here for 4.5 mill. That should more than replace Marky!”

You can’t pluck a guy outside of the organization, bring him in to be a leader. Respect is gained over the years of playing together and seeing each other making sacrifices to win. Marky and Tanev have earned that respect from his teammates. Doesn’t matter How many cups you won, you can’t own the dressing room as a new guy. Just ask Messier. 

Tanev is the player we needed to play Green’s system. If you can’t understand the roles played by different players under different system, I don’t know what to tell ya. 

It is. 

Lol and he brought in OEL who was signed for six more seasons?  This contract term argument is just laughable. 

UMMM YEA I'm aware Pearson was under contract but his term at 3.25 is the same as Toffoli's term at 4.25. Pearson also is a much better 2way player than Toffoli.

Holtby was a TWO YEAR TERM. Markstrom is a SIX YEAR TERM. Markstrom failed to make playoffs with your boy Tanev in 2020-21. Sucked ultimate a$$ in the playoffs and Tanev was crippled and played 8 games in the playoffs and returned badly injured to try and help win a series that there was no hope with Markstrom in net.

"I just suck at hockey right now," Markstrom told reporters after the Flames outshot the Canadiens 46-19 -- and still lost.

At least we could buy Holtby out. LMFAO and you wanted to invest 6x6 into that!?!??!? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Dude Holtby was signed for 2 years... He was ONLY HERE to provide experience and a veteran pressence for Demko as they were transitioning him into the starter. Holtby brought every bit of experience you want to surround your up and coming goalie with. Stanley cup CHECK. Vezina CHECK, also had Calder cup winning experience as well. So Holtby has been through many winning journies in his career, he also went through struggles. This is invaluable. You need to have some sort of support for Demko when sh*t is going south. He doesnt have that this year and ironically his struggles haven't gone away. He was improving, before the injury, but it has taken awhile. 

We never brought Holtby in to be "the man" He was literally here for to ease Demko into the net. If you cant figure that out by the 2 year term, idk what to tell ya and buying him out to bring in Halak was just to save cap. The cap was frozen and we cut bait and went with another very experienced goalie. Regardless we werent contenders, we were building an environment for youth to succeed or have a chance to succeed.

Wheres your foresight for Demko's upcoming deal? EP and Hughes upcoming contracts in for that '21 season?????? Yea lets invest that 6mil in Marky, and try and figure out what to do with Demko who would be approaching free agency. Its brilliant. Long term investment in Marky whos prime is passing by and lets let Demko take his prime years elsewhere. Trade him or whatever. Then we're stuck with Markstrom and no one to takeover. 

Schmidt did replace Tanev, we lost a dman, we acquired a new one. Wether or not they played the same roles, is not necessarily what has to happen. Its the fact we found a legit dman who showed better stats in all areas and was younger. Schmidt was more of a well rounded dman, Tanev is great for shot suppression. Do I wish we had Tanev today? ABSOLUTELY. But ultimately we had to move on strictly due to the flat cap. I would have loved to have kept Tanev but I understand we had to start making tough decisions in order to look out for the future. We resigned Demko, Hughes and Pettersson in 2021. Some times you just have to let it go. CGY just let JG walk for f***ing nothing. 

LOL Messier?? Really???? You are comparing this to Messier??? put the glue down bud. Messier wore Wayne Maki's retired #11 and took the C off Lindens chest. That is a character issue, he gave no respect. You CAN own a dressing room if you you are the only Veteran in their who has been through it all and can share your experience with the youth during hard times. Doesnt mean you have to be a complete POS like Messier. You speak from experience and it resonates in the room. Regardless if you're the newest face, if you have experience that goes much further in the room than guys with no experience talking about stuff they know nothing about or have never been through. 

Lol the cap will be rising and that 7.25mil isnt going to be like a 5mil contract in todays current market. OEL earned that contract and is nowhere near as bad as you and so many others try to make it out to be. You make my point when you speak about how Schmidt doesnt replace Tanev based on being different players and playing different roles. OEL was the guy in ARZ. Now he's behind QH and taking on a different role and different duties. No more PP1, no more primary offensive zone deployment. Its all about defense for him. So thank you for making my point about OEL ::D

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Schmidt plays for Jets, who has better record and is playing great defensively under their new head coach. 

Comparing raw goals against to make your point while ignoring the context in which those goals are scored, makes you look desperate. Alright, you can have this one. Schmidt for the Norris. 

Oh I didnt know that Sutter didnt coach an extremely defensive sacrifice your body do everything it takes and won 2 cups doing so style of hockey.

Comparing records is being desperate. I'm defending players on sh*t teams and pointing out stats vs players on good teams who are defensively worse. Or comparing our primary offensive deployed dpairs vs our defensively deployed players and showing goals against are the same, yet one pair starts 2 zones away 2/3 of the time. I'm taking the "losing" argument and proving points. You take the side of the rest of the ignorant fans and you cant even provide facts and stats as to why OEL and Myers "suck" 

Okay so here hows this sound for ya. The 5th place 2021-22 Flames vs the 19th place 2021-22 Jets

Tanev oiGA 78 - 37.5% of all goals scored against (208)

Schmidt oiGA 68 - 26.4% of all goals scored against (257)

Or is that not fair? CGY had the 3rd lowest goals against.... WPG had the 13th highest GA LOOOOOOOOOOOL

PSSST….different coach last year for Schmidt. 

You're lookin dumb on this one.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ahhh good ol’ Drance… Sure is unimaginable. I mean it’s not like you could look south and see the raiders (yes I know different sport) and see what happens when you hire a terrible coach (Yeo/JMD) and field a terrible defence. NVM the oilers since they drafted McDavid :P

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

11 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He who writes the longest essay wins! 

Then we eventually wake up! 

The most relevant gif is the shortest distance between A and Z. ;)

my essay: 

Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh 

thank you 

• Haha 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

my essay: 

Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh Stillman Myers Eriksson Eeeeergh 

thank you 

gioated-family-guy.gif

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Snake Doctor said:

I actually thought we would win this game. Now we are going to get crushed in Tampa. Can we finally please make some moves for a chance at Bedard. 

Ya I wish. Then you hear how they are trying to resign Kuzmenko. I really think this management group thinks we are close. They are just ignoring all the losing and again we are stuck with management who have big egos and will  fight what they know needs to happen. As much as I love Kuzmenko, he just does not fit the age range this team needs to go. It's going to be another albatross contract that can't be moved. It's like they just don't care how many of those bad contracts they already have and will just keep adding more. We could be screwed for years. They have a great opportunity to start thinking about the future. It's time people.

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya I wish. Then you hear how they are trying to resign Kuzmenko. I really think this management group thinks we are close. They are just ignoring all the losing and again we are stuck with management who have big egos and will  fight what they know needs to happen. As much as I love Kuzmenko, he just does not fit the age range this team needs to go. It's going to be another albatross contract that can't be moved. It's like they just don't care how many of those bad contracts they already have and will just keep adding more. We could be screwed for years. They have a great opportunity to start thinking about the future. It's time people.

Well said.

23 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Game after game after game, I watch the opposition pressuring our players all over the ice, to the point where they don't have time and space to generate offence, and give up high danger scoring chances repeatedly. It looks like a coaching problem to me, because why the hell else would the entire team just stand around in a box waving their sticks while the other team passes it around at will? Does any player really WANT to play like that? Maybe it's simply a sheer lack of talent, but I'm starting to feel more like coaching is a big problem this year. 

Biggest difference there is Yeo & Cull. What the f*** Does King do?

I have zero confidence in any of them.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not a surprise when we've spent 14M on wingers in the off-season and have 1 decent NHL defenceman in Hughes, and have made 3 trades for other team's 7th defencemen and elevated them to our lineup (Schenn, Bear and Stillman) and have them playing alongside overpaid ageing veterans who are slowing down drastically (OEL and Myers). Not a surprise at all. Combine that with 2 AHL goalies, it should be expected.

If we traded for a decent top 4 defenceman or two and had Demko in net none of this would be happening but here we are.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not a surprise when we've spent 14M on wingers in the off-season and have 1 decent NHL defenceman in Hughes, and have made 3 trades for other team's 7th defencemen and elevated them to our lineup (Schenn, Bear and Stillman) and have them playing alongside overpaid ageing veterans who are slowing down drastically (OEL and Myers). Not a surprise at all. Combine that with 2 AHL goalies, it should be expected.

If we traded for a decent top 4 defenceman or two and had Demko in net none of this would be happening but here we are.

I totally agree with all your points. I was first stunned when I heard we were trying to re-sign kuz. And then I realized management must think we're close if we are actually trying to keep him rather than trade him. 

So what is required to turn this around? 

At least 2 quality level top 4 d man. 

Each of those guys would make 5-6m

Re-signing Kuz is basically taking Brock's money. (so there's the first trade) 

Now where do we find the 10-12m for the 2 D men?  We already have 3 guys on D making 6m+ (Hughes, OEL, Myers) 

OEL is untradeable. 

Looks like Myers is will be gone. 

That frees up the first 6m

Now where do we get the second 6m?

Would have been nice if that was Miller's 8m.... But looks more and more like it'll be Horvat 5m and another player (Garland, Pearson) 

We missed the Marino opportunity 

Im guessing the move is to use Horvat for the 1st RD + assets

2nd move would be UFA?

Next year Hogz and Podz will be with the big club again to fill Horvat and another forwards spot. 

Miller will move to C... 

This is a scary thought 

Petey and Millsy as the 1-2 punch on C. 

Who's our 3rd and 4th C? 

I have no idea what the TDL will look like but I'm hoping I find out on TDL that the canucks are big winners.on deadline day

I mean we have a massive front office. Surely they're working feverishly behind the scenes running multiple scenarios right? 

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe.  The fact that he won't even block a shot tells me his body is not into it anymore, but I could be wrong...

OEL is a smart guy. Why would he risk an injury blocking a shot when he knows Myers, Miller Boeser Garland Dermott or whoever will turn it over next play anyway and we let in a goal. 

Maybe it's justy inner hope but once we make the needed changes, I am betting OEL picks up his play

I wish someone would do a video of all on ice goals against for OEL. 

I bet it's not as bad as it looks for him. He does his job most of the time. 

I think it's a true blessing that Myers' stats aren't that bad and.he.looks to be tradeable

Most of the goals against I've seen are on him. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

OEL is a smart guy. Why would he risk an injury blocking a shot when he knows Myers, Miller Boeser Garland Dermott or whoever will turn it over next play anyway and we let in a goal. 

Maybe it's justy inner hope but once we make the needed changes, I am betting OEL picks up his play

I wish someone would do a video of all on ice goals against for OEL. 

I bet it's not as bad as it looks for him. He does his job most of the time. 

I think it's a true blessing that Myers' stats aren't that bad and.he.looks to be tradeable

Most of the goals against I've seen are on him. 

Why would OEL risk an injury to block a shot?  Maybe because it’s his job and he’s getting paid $7.2 million to do it?  

Even Miller went down to block a shot to win a game this year and almost broke his ankle. If OEL doesn’t want to block shots or play defence then maybe he should agree to terminate his contract so we can find a replacement who will gladly block shots and play defence. Ryan Graves would be the guy I would go after in free agency. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would OEL risk an injury to block a shot?  Maybe because it’s his job and he’s getting paid $7.2 million to do it?  

Even Miller went down to block a shot to win a game this year and almost broke his ankle. If OEL doesn’t want to block shots or play defence then maybe he should agree to terminate his contract so we can find a replacement who will gladly block shots and play defence. Ryan Graves would be the guy I would go after in free agency. 

Fair enough. Regardless of whether this team is hopeless or not, OEL needs to bro g his best game. 

What I find funny is that even when he's not bringing his best, he's still quite a bit better than the rest of the defence

I looked at the past 5 games of all the goals against. 

OEL is getting a lot of undeserved criticism. 

If you look at the Islanders game for example you'll see how bad the defence looked once OEL left the game. 

Hughes partnered with Myers was a disaster. 

Look at all the goals against in the past 5 games

I would say the biggest culprits were Myers, Dermott and Bear 

OEL was the least of the canucks problems on defense. 

If he picked up his shot blocking and was better at breaking up 2 on 1s, I really wouldn't have any complaints about him. 

8 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

UMMM YEA I'm aware Pearson was under contract but his term at 3.25 is the same as Toffoli's term at 4.25. Pearson also is a much better 2way player than Toffoli.

Holtby was a TWO YEAR TERM. Markstrom is a SIX YEAR TERM. Markstrom failed to make playoffs with your boy Tanev in 2020-21. Sucked ultimate a$$ in the playoffs and Tanev was crippled and played 8 games in the playoffs and returned badly injured to try and help win a series that there was no hope with Markstrom in net.

"I just suck at hockey right now," Markstrom told reporters after the Flames outshot the Canadiens 46-19 -- and still lost.

At least we could buy Holtby out. LMFAO and you wanted to invest 6x6 into that!?!??!? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Dude Holtby was signed for 2 years... He was ONLY HERE to provide experience and a veteran pressence for Demko as they were transitioning him into the starter. Holtby brought every bit of experience you want to surround your up and coming goalie with. Stanley cup CHECK. Vezina CHECK, also had Calder cup winning experience as well. So Holtby has been through many winning journies in his career, he also went through struggles. This is invaluable. You need to have some sort of support for Demko when sh*t is going south. He doesnt have that this year and ironically his struggles haven't gone away. He was improving, before the injury, but it has taken awhile. 

We never brought Holtby in to be "the man" He was literally here for to ease Demko into the net. If you cant figure that out by the 2 year term, idk what to tell ya and buying him out to bring in Halak was just to save cap. The cap was frozen and we cut bait and went with another very experienced goalie. Regardless we werent contenders, we were building an environment for youth to succeed or have a chance to succeed.

Wheres your foresight for Demko's upcoming deal? EP and Hughes upcoming contracts in for that '21 season?????? Yea lets invest that 6mil in Marky, and try and figure out what to do with Demko who would be approaching free agency. Its brilliant. Long term investment in Marky whos prime is passing by and lets let Demko take his prime years elsewhere. Trade him or whatever. Then we're stuck with Markstrom and no one to takeover. 

Schmidt did replace Tanev, we lost a dman, we acquired a new one. Wether or not they played the same roles, is not necessarily what has to happen. Its the fact we found a legit dman who showed better stats in all areas and was younger. Schmidt was more of a well rounded dman, Tanev is great for shot suppression. Do I wish we had Tanev today? ABSOLUTELY. But ultimately we had to move on strictly due to the flat cap. I would have loved to have kept Tanev but I understand we had to start making tough decisions in order to look out for the future. We resigned Demko, Hughes and Pettersson in 2021. Some times you just have to let it go. CGY just let JG walk for f***ing nothing. 

LOL Messier?? Really???? You are comparing this to Messier??? put the glue down bud. Messier wore Wayne Maki's retired #11 and took the C off Lindens chest. That is a character issue, he gave no respect. You CAN own a dressing room if you you are the only Veteran in their who has been through it all and can share your experience with the youth during hard times. Doesnt mean you have to be a complete POS like Messier. You speak from experience and it resonates in the room. Regardless if you're the newest face, if you have experience that goes much further in the room than guys with no experience talking about stuff they know nothing about or have never been through. 

Lol the cap will be rising and that 7.25mil isnt going to be like a 5mil contract in todays current market. OEL earned that contract and is nowhere near as bad as you and so many others try to make it out to be. You make my point when you speak about how Schmidt doesnt replace Tanev based on being different players and playing different roles. OEL was the guy in ARZ. Now he's behind QH and taking on a different role and different duties. No more PP1, no more primary offensive zone deployment. Its all about defense for him. So thank you for making my point about OEL ::D

Tldr