The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No one in their right mind looks at the BS Rutherford is pulling and considers him fit for continued employment.  If he is actually allowed to continue destroying the franchise, I'm out.  Time to hit Aquaman in the wallet if he lets this worthless sack of **** continue to waste Vancouver's oxygen.

You’re a fan, just like us all.  Your love of our team is evident in the tone of your responses here.  Who knows King?  Maybe that corrupt Betman does a deal with our corrupt owner so that we win the draft lottery and get Bedard? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

I just have this feeling with all the heat and terrible luck this franchise is having maybe an amazing surprise is coming 

World Juniors Goal GIF by International Ice Hockey Federation

That would sure get almost ALL Canuck fans excited...we might just have to wait for Bedard to get to UFA status unless Alvin pulls a Brian Burke and make a major trade to acquire 1st overall, not impossible but it would cost us a lot!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Imagine how much extra revenue the league will generate with Bedard here as opposed to Arizona or another US city.  We would like

y pump 100+ million into the league.  Those US cities would be a fraction of that, and some non at all.  Be assured Betman will do all he can to see Bedard is a Canuck.  Just like he’s going to make sure Auston (pants down) Matthews will soon be a Coyote.  

And there’s where it falls apart though Alf…Bettman wants Matthews in Arizona …with Bedard.

or worse, he feels bad that things went down the way it did with the old boys club in Chicago, and realizing how valuable the market and history is to the NHL, he will ensure Bedard goes there as a consolation prize. Why? Because he’s a slimy bastard like that.

Bettman’s focus is the US and building and selling stars to the fanbase over the border. He isn’t concerned one bit with the Canadian market, until recession and dollar value truly show their impacts. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

Just now, RWJC said:

And there’s where it falls apart though Alf…Bettman wants Matthews in Arizona …with Bedard.

or worse, he feels bad that things went down the way it did with the old boys club in Chicago, and realizing how valuable the market and history is to the NHL, he will ensure Bedard goes there as a consolation prize. Why? Because he’s a slimy bastard like that.

Bettman’s focus is the US and building and selling stars to the fanbase over the border. He isn’t concerned one bit with the Canadian market, until recession and dollar value truly show their impacts. 

All true, but Betman did like McDavid’s money revenue in Edmonton and Matthew’s generating 100’s of million extra in TO.  Bedard here would do the same.  The league makes more money, and by a lot, with Bedard here than in any US city. 

Alf sees Bedard signed as a Canuck soon after we pick him 1OA in the 2023 draft.

image.jpeg.b0806d2287e549680814e5e08b5db5a8.jpeg

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I just have this feeling with all the heat and terrible luck this franchise is having maybe an amazing surprise is coming 

World Juniors Goal GIF by International Ice Hockey Federation

I admire your optimism but stuff like that just doesn’t seem to happen to this club. He’ll end up in Arizona or Chicago or Edmonton somehow, despite none of those teams deserving it.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true, but Betman did like McDavid’s money revenue in Edmonton and Matthew’s generating 100’s of million extra in TO.  Bedard here would do the same.  The league makes more money, and by a lot, with Bedard here than in any US city. 

Alf sees Bedard signed as a Canuck soon after we pick him 1OA in the 2023 draft.

You better be right because I’m atheist and even I’ve been praying for this to happen every damn day for the last couple years!

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Even at age 73 Rutherford could probably beat up the pencil neck dweebs in the Vancouver media.

Im sure he’s not intimidated by them.

JR vs Squire Barnes!!?

Why not!?  People are paying to watch YouTubers box these days!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Not really sure what to make of his presser as he kinda contradicted himself throughout 

The Goldbergs What GIF by ABC Network

most concerning thing he said was he isn’t really looking for picks but actions speak louder than words so we’ll see

the whole retool vs rebuild thing is a very open ended statement because define “retool” when you say you need “major surgery”….?

in his defense, using the word retool now makes more sense vs when benning said it back in 2014 because he was dead wrong at the time and we’ve suffered for of it

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't understand JR's fetish with taking 'young NHL'ers' from other teams over developing his own through draft picks? 

Is he just a fan of sloppy seconds? 

Development time. How many years of Petey and Hughes do you want to waste waiting on hopes and dreams? We're not in as abd of shape as when Benning took over because there's a better age range of players worth keeping. But still, other than top 3 -5 picks, drafted players can take years to be NHL ready and further years to actually be good. 

I could care less if our players are drafted, traded for, or signed as free agents. I just want to see good hockey.

• There it is 1

I’m not sure I get why he keeps blaming saddled with “contracts” when he earmarked 20-something % of the cap on 3 wingers this offseason. 

On the other hand, a strong retool makes a lot of sense with a young/prime core.  A lot more than retooling around 30-something Sedins and broke down Burrows/Kesler/Bieksa/Hamhuis.  

I honestly don’t care what the guy says - he could sing showtunes for 15 minutes for all I care.  He’ll be judged on what he does.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hmmmmmm, Bettman does like his big US cities though.  Me thinks it will be Chicago.

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m not sure I get why he keeps blaming saddled with “contracts” when he earmarked 20-something % of the cap on 3 wingers this offseason. 

On the other hand, a strong retool makes a lot of sense with a young/prime core.  A lot more than retooling around 30-something Sedins and broke down Burrows/Kesler/Bieksa/Hamhuis.  

I honestly don’t care what the guy says - he could sing showtunes for 15 minutes for all I care.  He’ll be judged on what he does.

Exactly how I feel.

Comparing a retool now to Bennings retool around the Sedins is apples and oranges.

This deadline could very well shape the future of this franchise. I’ll be rooting for JR to get the job done.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That would be short lived........no way a team will be able to afford AM and CB for longer than bedards elc

• Cheers 1

So what I've learned today is that my efforts to look daily for an exciting trade is all for not and that, aside from perhaps a Bo deal at the deadline, this ship will sail on with few changes......meaning same results.  Feeling like I'll check out until the TDL and then what's becoming my favourite time of the NHL year.....the offseason.  Sigh....thinking I may come back to this board again in the summer.  How else can this club change without the fans taking a little leave for a short bit?

• Cheers 1