The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Need major surgery but won't rebuild...we are so screwed.  Expect the push for mediocrity to continue for another decade.  We will waste all of Pettersson and Hughes and then they will tell us they owe them a shot at the playoffs when asked if we will rebuild again.

Just now, Plaguez said:

Need major surgery but won't rebuild...we are so screwed.  Expect the push for mediocrity to continue for another decade.  We will waste all of Pettersson and Hughes and then they will tell us they owe them a shot at the playoffs when asked if we will rebuild again.

A rebuild to be me will be trading EP and QH.  

• Cheers 1

If JR keeps Miller and loses Bo, he deserves to GO.

If he can't make room via other trades, then he has to move JT while he still can.

That presser was so depressing; cover up in the medlab; giving up signing Bo; still hanging Bruce out to dry; just shut up JR until you've got something good to say.

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

43 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol we have given our best offer to horvat for fair market based on what he have accomplished prior to this season.. so basically he's saying i don't care if horvat scores 50 or 60 goals he's a 30 goal 55 point guy in my mind no matter what. i dont care what he have done this season? sub 7mil take it or leave it. so why wasn't miller's contract based on what he has done prior to last season but based on his 1 off 99 point?

It was. The rate is generally $1M per 10 pts. Miller was paid as an 80 pt player.

16 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Been saying it for months; Bo needs to take a haircut if he wants to stay; Kuz too.

Why should he? Miller didn't.  Why would Kuz?  He can go anywhere he wants and other teams will pay.  Canucks have no leverage, what are you going to tell both?  Take less and we will be the same damn team with some tweaks to our bottom 6 and 7th& 8th dman?

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

Jim Rutherford: "We’re not moving toward a rebuild, I prefer the term retool"

OH NO !

(Where have we heard this before?)

image.jpeg.a01060182de11ca08e1d9940f60ec89a.jpeg + image.jpeg.a83a3f0d8bf6efc1a264b52473576e16.jpeg + image.jpeg.cb4c5d06043aa61bb4ba9332710fcd20.jpeg =

image.jpeg.c3436aed7bb645a8c8379defd35292bc.jpeg

He can call it what he wants but it’s a rebuild if he’s doing “major surgery” on the roster.

I think he thinks calling it a rebuild means you’re burning it down completely, which obviously won’t happen. Rebuilding around a core that they’ve identified is what they’ll need to do. It’s all just semantics, actions are all that matters.

Like I think we’ll be getting rid of 2/3 of our D core, probably rebuilding the entire bottom 6, trading 1/3 of our top 9 and finding a new backup.  If that’s not a rebuild I don’t know what is.

I think where he sees it differently is with the draft picks. He’s not looking to build the team out through draft picks 7 or 8 years from now. He wants players who are early to mid 20’s that can make an impact say 2 or 3 years from now.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Plaguez said:

Why should he? Miller didn't.  Why would Kuz?  He can go anywhere he wants and other teams will pay.  Canucks have no leverage, what are you going to tell both?  Take less and we will be the same damn team with some tweaks to our bottom 6 and 7th& 8th dman?

If they want to stay.

I guess you missed that part.

18 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Statement #1: Jim Rutherford says when he arrived, he believed the team would need minor surgery (in terms of changes to the roster). He now says he believes they need major surgery.  

Statement #2: The changes we need to make are not with the core players, but with the other players on the team

Which is it Jim ?

(P.S. : I Think we all know the answer)

I initially read this as "Which Jim is it?". Frankly it could have been either of them.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

If JR keeps Miller and loses Bo, he deserves to GO.

If he can't make room via other trades, then he has to move JT while he still can.

That presser was so depressing; cover up in the medlab; giving up signing Bo; still hanging Bruce out to dry; just shut up JR until you've got something good to say.

Depends what he gets for Bo. If Bo walks, then that's a huge miss. 

I don't see a cover-up with medical issue. It's pretty standard.  Surgical complications can happen, and it's not always due to incompetence or negligence.   You can choose to believe what you want. 

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's also suggested he's willing to destroy the future of the franchise with buyouts. That's grounds in itself for immediate termination of employment.

You do realize any manager we have (including JR) is following the owner's guidelines, right?  JR said the club will build around the existing core.  IMHAO that's the five of Bo, Petey, Miller, Hughes, and Demko.  The rest JR is trying to both upgrade while making them cost (collectively) less on the cap.  

There is no change in direction from when the owner bought the team.  JR is a good ol' boy and that's what our owner wants.  JR will always defend the owner position.

Not saying I like JR (I actually believe Benning to be the nicer person) but JR and Benning were the same in how they will follow the owner's direction, while saying the owner isn't meddling.  That's one of the key reasons (even more so than success) these guys keep getting jobs. 

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Here's what JR failed to do in a short period of time.

Refused to trade Miller and re-signed him when he SHOULD have been traded.

Did nothing in the first TDL. Overspent the cap during FA, which included re-signing Miller

No plan to fail, also no cap space to improve

That's a LOT of failures in a very truncated period of time.

JR has admitted that he has failed to do as much as he wanted so far.   But its been only a year.  Its amusing to see you of all posters be this impatient with a GM.  :lol:

This hysteria surrounding Miller and his contract is ridiculous.  Does he need to work on his defensive game? Yes, I hope he takes all that on board. I think he will work on that more.  But he's a dynamic forward who has done nothing but produce points for us. Is he a little over paid, and over extended? Sure, join the club with a lot of other players around the league. Miller's contract is hardly an albatross.  At least not yet, talk to me in 3 or 4 seasons.  The cap is going up, and we need players like Miller in our top six.  Totally agree with JR here. This media driven narrative of how it was a huge mistake to not have traded Miller, and the sheep fans that nod along is silly.  There were advantages in trading him....if the return was good enough....but there are also advantages in keeping him as part of the core during the next few years.

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 2

19 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Statement #1: Jim Rutherford says when he arrived, he believed the team would need minor surgery (in terms of changes to the roster). He now says he believes they need major surgery.  

Statement #2: The changes we need to make are not with the core players, but with the other players on the team

Which is it Jim ?

(P.S. : I Think we all know the answer)

Agreed, not super clear...and maybe that is the way he wants it...who knows. Perhaps his core is only three guys (EP, QH, TD) so technically what he is saying might be accurate haha

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He can call it what he wants but it’s a rebuild if he’s doing “major surgery” on the roster.

I think he thinks calling it a rebuild means you’re burning it down completely, which obviously won’t happen. Rebuilding around a core that they’ve identified is what they’ll need to do. It’s all just semantics, actions are all that matters.

Like I think we’ll be getting rid of 2/3 of our D core, probably rebuilding the entire bottom 6, trading 1/3 of our top 9 and finding a new backup.  If that’s not a rebuild I don’t know what is.

I think where he sees it differently is with the draft picks. He’s not looking to build the team out through draft picks 7 or 8 years from now. He wants players who are early to mid 20’s that can make an impact say 2 or 3 years from now.

Exactly.  Rebulld to me is to trade EP, QH, and Demko. Clean house. Everything else is retool with varying degrees. 

• Cheers 1