The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

The truth is ,  Horvat sucked and sucks..   Management did well to pump his stats for the best return possible , without losing a deal like they had with Lamorella.

Horvat isn’t worth more than 6.5 x6.

The return of Beau, Raty , and Hronek,  and keeping a 1. ppg player for the past 4-5 seasons in Miller ,  is one of the most positive returns we’ve had since acquiring Miller.

Our recent NCAA signings and showings are creating more assets that might allow us to trade up at the draft,  while still thickening the talent pool.

Although trading Linden may have been the best trade in franchise history,.

For this generation of the league,

trading Horvat ranks up there in a positive light.

All those reasons you have for F bombing those other teams, are players that bring you Cups,.   
it’s historic in nature,  .. and the generation/s you weren’t born,  are the type of hockey those players represent.

Nice players,  do not win Cups.

Nice Teams, do not win Cups.

The “nasty” you hold for your listed disliked players,  is the nasty this team needs to bring.

Horvat was NOT that.

He may even have been a huge part of the mediocracy this team played by.…. if a team Captain is mediocre in his nature,.   a team wont respond past that effort.

His skating was no better than many in the NHL ,  all skaters are now great in the NHL,.  They have to be.

He is plainly ,  a far overpaid 2C.. with a small tool box.

He doesn’t suck, you just don’t like him. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Is he struggling?

The Isles hold the last Wild Card in the East.  A position they did not hold when he arrived. They win by defense, have eleven goals against past 6 games. 

To a degree his drop in scoring (50%) is circumstance.  Barzal, the expected play-maker / puck handler on his line is out, no longer does he have Petey or Miller. Nor the + Kuz & Huggy on his PP. Even when his goals exploded this year? He had learned to drop in to seams, bump off defenders to open up for a quick shot in the slot, tip point shots & slap passes. This was credible, he learned to score in small spaces. Dino Ciccarelli, Dave Andreychuck type goals. Trade pucks in tight. They still require other guys to lug and protect the puck, distribute it. If they expected him to drive play, handle the biscuit, it was never him. 

Horvats job is threefold. Win face off's & board battles; tick. Use his 216 lb frame & credible, not spectacular, skating to stay between his man & the net defensively; tick. Get in scoring position; well he's there?  Cough, he's playing with Lee & Palmieri so he has to fight for position in front of the net with them. They score the same way; its not like Anders Lee is going to backspin, reverse direction twice behind the net > feed him the backhand sauce to knock in like Kuzmenko. But Horvat's line buries it in deep, does not come out.  At least the other team does not score?

They are making do till Barzal, and any extra / unforseen puck wizardry arrives.

Yup. Bo does the “little things” well. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Bo does the “little things” well. 

He does.

As mentioned, also by others including @.Naslund.  Little things are not the high skill puck handling and passing. But they do can win games.

I was happy, but surprised by the Islanders making the deal seeing him as a solution.  As well as the crush of media hype suggesting he would make the difference for the Islanders; who needed goals.  What they really needed was puck handling.  Barzal, to a lesser extent Brock Nelson are not enough.  Nor do they have a Hughes puck wizard on D.  Pulock & Dobson can shoot?  It's not the same.  I watched analyst after analyst expound on Horvat as the top trade target. Seduced by his goals this year saying he would help them score?  They are not, but are still doing ok.

It let us get a good return. I wish it had been Miller, but we were going to have three 80 point centre's.  At least we traded one, and did so from strength. 

Reality is many, in fact most, hockey players who win games win them Horvat style.  There are only so many Draisaitl's, Johnny Gaudreau's, Erik Karlsson's, never mind McDavid.  The same analysts had been taught since they were in Pee Wee to get it in deep.  Get on the D, punish & tire them, cause mistakes. Play well positionally, win battles. Score on opportunity. Even when Lamoriello had Niedermayer, that was how they won.

We as the Canucks, have the skill players we need IMO. Could come out very well if we can source a few lunch pail / glue guys.  Are kinda hurt by guys like OEL taking up salary & being asked to be one. He clearly fails even though he tries. We don't have room for him to be the primary puck rusher, PP point guy. Look how Karlsson is now doing better again with Burns gone? Washington won a cup when they realized they did not need Shattenkirk & Carlson. Could use an Adam Pelech, Ryan Graves, Adam Larsson; Horvat style defenseman who get the puck out even with M. Tkachuk bearing down on them, big enough to win battles.

Maybe Brisbois can do it; was just waiting for someone to notice it was important? 

Especially on D, but also forwards who can PK, block shots. Not all big, some who can get quickly to the point, or corner. I miss Motte!  He is UFA again this summer? Wherever there is a puck to steal or pressure. Size also helps, if they can skate. Knock the occasional defenseman out of the game. Mikheyev the closest, then, cough Miller. A big hit or fight!  I like Sedin's as development guys, I honestly do. We have some prospects with the athleticism to be those guys! I wish we had Hansen teaching Podkolzin & Hoglander how to PK & forecheck, Raffi Torres or Pat Maroon teaching Dakota Joshua how hit to stay in the NHL 15 years!  

Spoiler

I wish we had Hansen teaching Podkolzin & Hoglander how to PK & forecheck, Raffi Torres or Pat Maroon teaching Dakota Joshua how hit to stay in the NHL 15 years!  

Spoiler

I wish we had Hansen teaching Podkolzin & Hoglander how to PK & forecheck, Raffi Torres or Pat Maroon teaching Dakota Joshua how hit to stay in the NHL 15 years!  

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Be great if we also had Burrows or Bieksa, Kesler to talk smack; don't give a F' attitude. Come over the boards every shift flying!

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Bo doesn't suck. That's a bit harsh. But he's not producing anywhere near what he was here, and personally, I always wanted him to play more aggressive, considering his size. Plus the fact, he's actually a pretty good scrapper when push comes to shove. 

And as I keep pointing out, these players in their contract years, somehow, miraculously kick it into overdrive. Let's face it, he did well for himself financially. 

I still wish Bo the best, but I'm glad we're not tied to that anchor of a contract.  

Facts. I’m gonna miss Bo, but another 8x8 would’ve crippled us and management did well getting a pretty solid haul for him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, .Naslund said:

Horvat didn’t have good linemates because he never was a prime offensive player. He never had the skill level to play with high skill players for extended periods nor be pencilled into a top line role. He’s not a play driver, he’s a decent finisher. Nothing else. Why should he be gifted better wingers than EP40 or the Sedins? What offensive playmaking prowess did Horvat ever show?

He produced with washed up players or little to no talent around him.

Never had the skill to play with high end players yet he finds himself open, gets the shot off and buries most opportunities. That is a skill, that IS offense. Being able to finish the play. Who said he had to be gifted anything? His role was a 2C and our most reliable C period. Why else does he take the most faceoffs in the league? Or at least top 5. His game is more than just “offensive prowess”
Riddle me this, how easy is it to score if you lose every draw? Hard to score without the puck. Bo drove possession by winning draws consistently.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Never had the skill to play with high end players yet he finds himself open, gets the shot off and buries most opportunities. That is a skill, that IS offense. Being able to finish the play. Who said he had to be gifted anything? His role was a 2C and our most reliable C period. Why else does he take the most faceoffs in the league? Or at least top 5. His game is more than just “offensive prowess”
Riddle me this, how easy is it to score if you lose every draw? Hard to score without the puck. Bo drove possession by winning draws consistently.

Ultimately I don’t like Bo. Never really have to be honest. Probably one of our most overrated players of all time and in my opinion one of our worst captains ever when considering hockey talent. Nothing you or anyone else says will convince me that he is worth anything more than 7 million a year. If we had given him 7 million though I’d probably still cringe. I’d even argue that at this point Kuzmenko is more of a valuable asset than Horvat when you consider it being his first year, his production and his contract. 

I’m beyond ECSTATIC that a perennial 50-60 point player who signed for EIGHT POINT FIVE MILLION DOLLARS (at or more than Stamkos, Heiskanen, Draisaitl, Zibanejad, Roope Hintz, Jack Hughes, Quinn Hughes, Brady Tkachuk etc…) returned us a top 4 RHD, a legit C prospect and a top 6 winger.  Any true Canucks fan knows we got an incredible return for him.

The reason us Horvat haters come out still is because there’s a portion of the fan base who still seem to insist we made a mistake not resigning Bo to the ridiculous contract he signed. Emotional decisions get you no where in life. Get over Bo and see him for what he really is.  Vincent Trocheck provides similar impact for 5.6 mill a year. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He doesn’t suck, you just don’t like him. 

He’s not a “special” hockey player,  I’d say he’s average..

I say he sucks because he was gifted everything to be above average , and never became that.

Take the “C” of him ( which he did not deserve) and he blends in with everything wrong with the Canucks since 2014.

8 1/2 seasons with us and only 1 season above 60 points.

I like Horvat,  I wish him well,.  He is just not as good as many Canuck fans think he is or was.

• Wat 2

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He’s not a “special” hockey player,  I’d say he’s average..

I say he sucks because he was gifted everything to be above average , and never became that.

Take the “C” of him ( which he did not deserve) and he blends in with everything wrong with the Canucks since 2014.

8 1/2 seasons with us and only 1 season above 60 points.

I like Horvat,  I wish him well,.  He is just not as good as many Canuck fans think he is or was.

Saying he sucks is a weird way of showing you like him. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

He can is not moving the needle or lighting it up in NY,.    Falling on the crutch of an excuse about his FO % is like saying Loui Eriksson was great defensively. 

The Islanders haven’t gotten into a playoff position with him,.  His presence hasn’t changed a thing.

If I was LL ,  I’d be trying to move Horvat to Arizona if possible.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Horvat is not the C on his new team, and not on the first line. They dont expect anything of him but watch what happens in the playoffs. Thats the whole problem, Canucks saw him in playoffs only one season. He deserves his contract, Millar did not.

They both earned and deserve their contracts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He can is not moving the needle or lighting it up in NY,.    Falling on the crutch of an excuse about his FO % is like saying Loui Eriksson was great defensively. 

The Islanders haven’t gotten into a playoff position with him,.  His presence hasn’t changed a thing.

If I was LL ,  I’d be trying to move Horvat to Arizona if possible.

you cant compare Loui Eriksson to anyone except maybe OEL.

And, yeah, the Iles have a wildcard spot. so maybe you dont know what youre talking about?

• Wat 1

47 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

Ultimately I don’t like Bo. Never really have to be honest. Probably one of our most overrated players of all time and in my opinion one of our worst captains ever when considering hockey talent. Nothing you or anyone else says will convince me that he is worth anything more than 7 million a year. If we had given him 7 million though I’d probably still cringe. I’d even argue that at this point Kuzmenko is more of a valuable asset than Horvat when you consider it being his first year, his production and his contract. 

I’m beyond ECSTATIC that a perennial 50-60 point player who signed for EIGHT POINT FIVE MILLION DOLLARS (at or more than Stamkos, Heiskanen, Draisaitl, Zibanejad, Roope Hintz, Jack Hughes, Quinn Hughes, Brady Tkachuk etc…) returned us a top 4 RHD, a legit C prospect and a top 6 winger.  Any true Canucks fan knows we got an incredible return for him.

The reason us Horvat haters come out still is because there’s a portion of the fan base who still seem to insist we made a mistake not resigning Bo to the ridiculous contract he signed. Emotional decisions get you no where in life. Get over Bo and see him for what he really is.  Vincent Trocheck provides similar impact for 5.6 mill a year. 

What? I haven't seen anyone saying we should have signed Horvat to 8.5M. People are upset with management for botching to early negotiations when he likely would have signed for around 6.5M. I'm pretty sure everyone has acknowledged that 8.5 is an overpayment. Ultimately it seems we got a great return for Bo and management may have saved their asses, but that doesn't mean they didn't also botch the early negotiations. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

What? I haven't seen anyone saying we should have signed Horvat to 8.5M. People are upset with management for botching to early negotiations when he likely would have signed for around 6.5M. I'm pretty sure everyone has acknowledged that 8.5 is an overpayment. Ultimately it seems we got a great return for Bo and management may have saved their asses, but that doesn't mean they didn't also botch the early negotiations. 

Correct. the Millar contract was the problem. If Millar was around the same as Boeser we would have kept everyone. and could bump everyone up as the Cap increased, they should do these contracts at 3 or 4 years max, they should have learned from the Luongo contract and consequences

7 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

you cant compare Loui Eriksson to anyone except maybe OEL.

And, yeah, the Iles have a wildcard spot. so maybe you dont know what youre talking about?

The islanders aren’t in any better position with Horvat vs “before” Horvat ,  he hasn’t changed any thing ,.  And his production is back to his “pre pumped” numbers with us .

In 27 games with the isles , Horvat has 7 g and 6 assists,.  Less than .5 ppg .

give your head a shake.

Eriksson didn’t hit or fight either.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Horvat is not the C on his new team, and not on the first line. They dont expect anything of him but watch what happens in the playoffs. Thats the whole problem, Canucks saw him in playoffs only one season. He deserves his contract, Millar did not.

Tom Hanks Space GIF by TV4

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The islanders aren’t in any better position with Horvat vs “before” Horvat ,  he hasn’t changed any thing ,.  And his production is back to his “pre pumped” numbers with us .

In 27 games with the isles , Horvat has 7 g and 6 assists,.  Less than .5 ppg .

give your head a shake.

Eriksson didn’t hit or fight either.

the first round pick trade was conditional on NYI finishing higher than 12th pick..... which is where canucks are now roughly. and NYI now in a playoff position, I think you have been shaking your head too often. Bo will open the sh@t up when they are in the first round. Why would he grab attention now? He is in STEALTH MODE