The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Sam Malinski

How could Malinski not want to come here simply for the opportunity? 

And how is it that this franchise has such a horrific time getting young RHD prospects to come here either by choosing not to draft them, or NCAA free prospects not wanting to come here. Willing to bet that we're going to strike out on Livingstone as well? 

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It's one of our biggest weaknesses, you are aware of that.

I'd say before the Hronek acquisition, it was. But acquiring Hronek has helped shore that up a little bit. Still lots of work to be done in terms of having quality young RHD in the system. We don't have enough of that, that's for sure. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And? It's a weakness of 10-15 other teams as well at any given time. 

That's probably fair thing to say. But maybe the 10-15 other teams has more RHD high end prospects, because we literally don't have any. Does Jett Woo count? 

35 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's probably fair thing to say. But maybe the 10-15 other teams has more RHD high end prospects, because we literally don't have any. Does Jett Woo count? 

People seem high on that Fillip Johansson from Sweden we signed awhile ago. He’s probably ahead of Woo at this point.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

People seem high on that Fillip Johansson from Sweden we signed awhile ago. He’s probably ahead of Woo at this point.

Why is Filip Johnasson considered ahead of Woo at this stage? 

New kid on the block, shiny new toy? 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Why is Filip Johnasson considered ahead of Woo at this stage? 

New kid on the block, shiny new toy? 

He was scouted this year as a middle pair NHL D in an article by Bukala.  Not sure what weight that should carry, but it sounds promising

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

He was scouted this year as a middle pair NHL D in an article by Bukala.  Not sure what weight that should carry, but it sounds promising

Guess we'll see soon enough if he's capable. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Guess we'll see soon enough if he's capable. 

Sounds like Swedish Tanev…does everything well, skates, passes, decent point shot

Filip Johansson (Defenceman)
Team: Frolunda HC (SHL – Sweden)
Drafted 24th overall in 2018 (by Minnesota)
6-foot-1 / 176 lbs / Shoots: R

The Canucks did well by signing Johansson, a former first-round pick, this past summer as a free agent. I have always appreciated this player. He moves very well and can transport the puck on his own or outlet and join as an extra layer. His offensive production is on the rise this season. He has registered three goals and 10 assists through the first 23 games. What I’m really excited about is the amount of ice time he is being trusted with in the SHL. Johansson is skating over 20:00 per night and being deployed in all situations. Overall, he’s tracking very positively. I envision Johansson pushing for a job on the Canucks roster in 2023-24.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-progress-report-on-jets-and-canucks-prospects-in-ncaa-and-europe/#

SCOUTING REPORT

Defends his position very well, both because of an active stick and a fairly projectable frame. Owns a hard shot from the point. Can log big minutes along the blueline, including important ice time in all game situations. Will need to add more bulk and strength in order to maximize his shutdown ability at the highest level. While he is mobile and polished, he is not an elite offensive rearguard (and must play within his own limitations).

Long Range Potential:Quality, reliable and all-round defenseman with good upside.

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/27098/Filip_Johansson

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

This recent article by Faber isn’t as positive - questioning his defensive abilities. :picard:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/inside-filip-johanssons-promising-shl-season-canucks-ca-prospect-rankings-8

Good thing that defensive acumen can improve and grow with experience and can also be taught with sound position and stick work. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Good thing that defensive acumen can improve and grow with experience and can also be taught with sound position and stick work. 

It's almost like all this experience with Woo in the AHL doesn't mean anything. Woo is most definitely ahead of Johansson.

19 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

This recent article by Faber isn’t as positive - questioning his defensive abilities. :picard:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/inside-filip-johanssons-promising-shl-season-canucks-ca-prospect-rankings-8

Faber thinks he needs significant AHL time prior to any NHL shot. 

Seems like another Rathbone-type, same weight but a little taller and RH. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Faber thinks he needs significant AHL time prior to any NHL shot. 

Seems like another Rathbone-type, same weight but a little taller and RH. 

Yeah, that article definitely paints him more as an offensive D

4 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, that article definitely paints him more as an offensive D

If we clear cap I would probably look for a short term stop gap. Myers is that if we keep him and Schenn would be if we re-sign. 

I hear we are into Garikov apparently but he’s a lefty but a solid one at that. Graves is a LH that can play both sides and Soucy is one too. Both big guys too. Soucy more of a quality 3rd pair D compared to Graves who is 2nd pair. 

RH D market is bare. Will be an interesting off-season. Might be best to ride the year with Myers since not a whole lot of options. 

Most of our prospect D need a bit more time. 

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we clear cap I would probably look for a short term stop gap. Myers is that if we keep him and Schenn would be if we re-sign. 

I hear we are into Garikov apparently but he’s a lefty but a solid one at that. Graves is a LH that can play both sides and Soucy is one too. Both big guys too. Soucy more of a quality 3rd pair D compared to Graves who is 2nd pair. 

RH D market is bare. Will be an interesting off-season. Might be best to ride the year with Myers since not a whole lot of options. 

Most of our prospect D need a bit more time. 

That's what I would do this offseason; focus on getting a longterm 2/3rd pair LHD on a reasonable contract in FA. The 3 names you provided would be excellent.

Then, resign Schenn and Bear for 23/24; look for a longterm 2nd pair RHD option after Myers is traded at TDL or contract expires. 

For 2023 cap room, look to jettison a couple fwds. Unlike some, I like Garland's play under RT; he can really drive offence when pair with bigger less skilled players (Joshua). In addition, Beauvillier has looked the part since being traded here. Maybe try to resign him at a Pearson price point after next year (~3mish). Given that, PA should focus on dumping Boeser and Pearson this summer. Use the cap $ to acquire said LHD and a vet defensive 3C to bump between the 3rd and 4th line.