The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Sam Malinski

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Elite skill in NCAA hockey is there for the freshman and maybe junior years. Those guys come out early (like in basketball) to play in the NHL. The four year guys tend to be complimentary players.  Hard working and good players but not going to be game breakers. 

That's good perspective, thanks Alf.  I guess Chris Tanev is the the best case scenario?

21 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Would love to see us land somewhere like:

Hughes - Korczak

Gavrikov - Hronek

Bahl - Livingstone/Malinski 

That’s a good mix of size and mobility

Draft Reinbacher hopefully

Sign Gavrikov 

Pray to God OEL has a Karlsson type resurgent season 

Hughes Reinbacher

Oel Hronek 

Gavrikov  Wolanin/Brisboise/Burroughs/Juulsen  

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

Draft Reinbacher hopefully

Sign Gavrikov 

Pray to God OEL has a Karlsson type resurgent season 

Hughes Reinbacher

Oel Hronek 

Gavrikov  Wolanin/Brisboise/Burroughs/Juulsen  

If we draft 8-12, would love to get Reinbacher. Do you think he’d jump straight into the NHL though?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I could see a team reaching before our pick for sure.

Some lists show a drop off after Smith and Benson, so perhaps a team takes him at 7-8.

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/big_board

Depends what teams are looking at.Every draft lately we have seen a team or two pick someone outside the numbers. 

I think 5-7 he will go. 

Maybe not and hope we get him.If we don't a player could fall and we get a great pick.Either way we should get a really good player if we stay around 10 th.

• Cheers 1

Just now, cripplereh said:

Depends what teams are looking at.Every draft lately we have seen a team or two pick someone outside the numbers. 

I think 5-7 he will go. 

Maybe not and hope we get him.If we don't a player could fall and we get a great pick.Either way we should get a really good player if we stay around 10 th.

Agreed..the more I read about the top 20 or so prospects, the less concerned I am about where we draft.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

If we draft 8-12, would love to get Reinbacher. Do you think he’d jump straight into the NHL though?

Many seem to believe his size and his ability to think the game are already at an NHL level. I think he starts in the AHL and gets called up in the new year. Until then, we have enough depth defenseman to slot it until he's ready. I honestly think he is the only defenseman in this draft that could jump into the league in D+1

17 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I think like other drafts you will see him gone in the top 5 picks.

I think highest he will go is 7. 

Bedard

Carlsson

Fantili

Michkov

Benson

Smith

I dont think he goes before any of those players. After those 6, the 7-15 pick could play out in a number of different ways and the Canucks have several options in the top 12. Although, I do believe Canucks finally get some lotto luck and draft 2/3 OA. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I could see a team reaching before our pick for sure.

Some lists show a drop off after Smith and Benson, so perhaps a team takes him at 7-8.

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/big_board

Benson has been measured at 5’9” and plays mostly on the wing. I’ve seen him outside the top 10 on some boards. Reinbacher I think goes between 6-9. He won’t make it outside of the top 10. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benson has been measured at 5’9” and plays mostly on the wing. I’ve seen him outside the top 10 on some boards. Reinbacher I think goes between 6-9. He won’t make it outside of the top 10. 

What boards?  Pretty much every board has him solidly at #5, occassionally at #6

• Like 1

Just a reminder that Malinski and Cornell play today versus Boston University in their NCAA regional final. Winner punches their ticket to the Frozen Four.

Game time 4pm ET, so 1pm local in Vancouver. 

The game should be available on TSN+ and the TSN app (likely with a stream of the ESPN broadcast).

TSN+ will have the entire tournament:

For anyone watching the game, check out #18 Jay O’Brien for BU. You’ll remember him from the 2018 draft (19th overall). Good chance he hits free agency this year. It’s been rumoured Philly won’t sign him and will take the 2nd round compensation pick.

O’Brien maybe hasn’t quite developed as well as hoped for such a high pick, but he’s still a solid player. He’s been dominant today on faceoffs and owns a solid overall FO%. Excellent skater with plenty of speed to burn. Not an elite offensive producer, but still solid, just a little under a point per game as an upperclassman. And he’s now 6’0”, 190 lbs, so decent size. RH shot centreman who might prove to be a good 3C at the NHL level. 

He might be worth a look on August 15th, if indeed he goes unsigned by the Flyers and hits free agency.

• Like 1

Cornell to the power play. They’ll need a goal here. Halfway through the 3rd and down two goals.

On a separate note, I’ve liked Jack Malone’s game today (Canucks 2019 6th rounder). Plays direct and with a lot of pressure. Strong on pucks. He also looks closer to 6’2”, 200+ to me, so maybe he’s even a little bigger than listed. I don’t think he’s done enough with his college career to earn an NHL ELC, but maybe an Abby deal?