The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Muzzin out for the season and playoffs

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This is comical.

Dubass was universally lauded for blowing his wad on O'Rielly, when he should've, imo, been ridiculed for NOT addressing their defence.  When they acquired O'Rielly, they absolutely had to have had some idea that Muzzin's season was in jeopardy, yet they reinforced a position (forward) that really wasn't a priority.  Now even if they make it through the 1st round, I don't think anyone likes their odds against the Eastern powerhouse teams. 

I stand by the opinion that they should've gone all-in on Chychrun.  

Nylander would've been the main piece before his M-NTC kicks in next year.  

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, PlanB said:

I stand by the opinion that they should've gone all-in on Chychrun.  

Nylander would've been the main piece before his M-NTC kicks in next year.  

Should have never re-signed that lazy floater after he demanded his abomination of a contract.  I hate to think what kind of sweetener would need to be added to get Arizona to agree to take Double Flamingo as a cap dump.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Should have never re-signed that lazy floater after he demanded his abomination of a contract.  I hate to think what kind of sweetener would need to be added to get Arizona to agree to take Double Flamingo as a cap dump.

Nylander has been one of their better players the last few playoff series. Not sure why an error he made in his first or second season is the standard you think of him. 30 pts in 39 playoff games no shortage of teams wanting a player like that. Hell I’d move Garland and Boeser to make room for him here especially if the Leafs were dumb enough to add a sweetener. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nylander has been one of their better players the last few playoff series. Not sure why an error he made in his first or second season is the standard you think of him. 30 pts in 39 playoff games no shortage of teams wanting a player like that. Hell I’d move Garland and Boeser to make room for him here especially if the Leafs were dumb enough to add a sweetener. 

He may put up points, but his refusal to backcheck negates any benefit.  He's proven that he doesn't care about winning throughout his career.

14 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is comical.

Dubass was universally lauded for blowing his wad on O'Rielly, when he should've, imo, been ridiculed for NOT addressing their defence.  When they acquired O'Rielly, they absolutely had to have had some idea that Muzzin's season was in jeopardy, yet they reinforced a position (forward) that really wasn't a priority.  Now even if they make it through the 1st round, I don't think anyone likes their odds against the Eastern powerhouse teams. 

O'Reilly is one of the top two way forwards so while he's not a D-Man, he will will (or should) be a important part of the team's overall defense. 

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe in the regular season, but he has consistently been their star playoff performer since he's been in the league. The others become invisible, and he starts shining in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Maybe in the regular season, but he has consistently been their star playoff performer since he's been in the league. The others become invisible, and he starts shining in the playoffs. 

He hasn't broken a sweat once in thw playoffs.  He's somehow even lazier then.

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He hasn't broken a sweat once in thw playoffs.  He's somehow even lazier then.

We must be watching different teams. It's well documented that Nylander is their top playoff performer in the playoffs (most consistent the last 3 years), and he's done it averaging 17 minutes. Matthews and Marner are some of the streakiest playoff performers I've ever witnessed, and they do it averaging 21 minutes each, playing with favorable matchups.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We must be watching different teams. It's well documented that Nylander is their top playoff performer in the playoffs (most consistent the last 3 years), and he's done it averaging 17 minutes. Matthews and Marner are some of the streakiest playoff performers I've ever witnessed, and they do it averaging 21 minutes each, playing with favorable matchups.

Just because he's putting up points due to cherry picking does not mean he is putting in an acceptable effort.  You can't win when you create a culture where you tolerance the way this gutless floater plays.

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Just because he's putting up points due to cherry picking does not mean he is putting in an acceptable effort.  You can't win when you create a culture where you tolerance the way this gutless floater plays.

He's 57% on faceoffs (roughly 150 faceoffs), + in TA/GA, 11 Relative Corsi, 18.9% relative fenwick. Just fyi, these are ELITE stats. His reputation is that he floats until the playoffs come, and then he's an entirely different player, oftentimes the best Leafs player on a team that has Tavares, Matthews and Marner. The guy is elite (exclusively in the playoffs).

Clearly you don't like the player, but the puck don't lie.  Go look at O'Reilly's playoff stats when he won the cup in 2019. The perennial Selke nominee Conn Smythe winner's defensive stats were pathetic when you compare them to Nylander's defensive stats in the playoffs. Would you call prime O'Reilly a floater? Didn't think so. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He's 57% on faceoffs (roughly 150 faceoffs), + in TA/GA, 11 Relative Corsi, 18.9% relative fenwick. Just fyi, these are ELITE stats. His reputation is that he floats until the playoffs come, and then he's an entirely different player, oftentimes the best Leafs player on a team that has Tavares, Matthews and Marner. The guy is elite (exclusively in the playoffs).

Clearly you don't like the player, but the puck don't lie.  

This is just proof that analytics should not be taken seriously for player evaluation. If you watch the game instead of trusting some dweeb who spent ten minutes trying to open a puck, it's clear that Double Flamingo needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.

• Wat 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

This is just proof that analytics should not be taken seriously for player evaluation. If you watch the game instead of trusting some dweeb who spent ten minutes trying to open a puck, it's clear that Double Flamingo needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.

I watch the games and it's incredibly well documented that Nylander is the best Leafs player every single playoffs. Analytics aren't perfect, but when the stats are that clear cut black on white, you can't ignore them. Your eye test is failing you, and if that's the kind of player you don't want on the Canucks come playoff time, let's just say I'm glad you're not our GM.

I will agree that he is terribly inconsistent with his effort in the regular season. There's no argument against that. Clearly though, you are very biased and dislike the player beyond all reason. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I watch the games and it's incredibly well documented that Nylander is the best Leafs player every single playoffs. Analytics aren't perfect, but when the stats are that clear cut black on white, you can't ignore them. Your eye test is failing you, and if that's the kind of player you don't want on the Canucks come playoff time, let's just say I'm glad you're not our GM.

I will agree that he is terribly inconsistent with his effort in the regular season. There's no argument against that. Clearly though, you are very biased and dislike the player beyond all reason. 

You can absolutely ignore those stats when they're worse than useless in the first place. You don't want any player who is that lazy to be allowed in the dressing room at all; most franchises would have suspended him for his outright refusal to even try to put in an acceptable effort.  The eye test is as clear as day that he only cares about his paycheck; winning is simply not a priority.

I'll trust my own eyes, not numbers pulled out of thin air by some unrelated geek who doesn't understand the sport.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

You can absolutely ignore those stats when they're worse than useless in the first place. You don't want any player who is that lazy to be allowed in the dressing room at all; most franchises would have suspended him for his outright refusal to even try to put in an acceptable effort.  The eye test is as clear as day that he only cares about his paycheck; winning is simply not a priority.

I'll trust my own eyes, not numbers pulled out of thin air by some unrelated geek who doesn't understand the sport.

I'd recommend seeing an eye doctor if you don't think Nylander has consistently been the Leafs best playoff performer throughout the years. You can try and insult me (by the way, you can come up with better than the bolded part) all you want, but to disagree with everything I've said is to disagree with a significant (almost all of them) portion of analysts that get paid to analyze the game that most of them played at a high level in. 

Leafs fans, analysts, colour commentators and all, are worried about if Matthews Tavares and Marner will show up. They've never had to question Nylander's involvment in the playoffs. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/will-nylander-be-an-x-factor-for-maple-leafs-in-the-playoffs-jeff-marek-show/

Gord Stellick joins the Jeff Marek Show with host Matt Marchese to discuss Toronto Maple Leafs forward William Nylander’s season and whether he could be an X-factor in this season’s playoffs, given his consistent performance.

https://theleafsnation.com/news/william-nylander-is-truly-perfect-for-the-toronto-market

The Leafs are (somewhat rightly) crucified for their recent lack of playoff success, but outside a few flashes from Matthews and some surprise showings from players like Kerfoot and Spezza in the last few years, it’s tough to argue against Nylander being their best playoff performer.

Here you go, from professionals and from their fanbase, both in agreement. 

• Cheers 1