The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 25, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

All players and teams can win if they play sound strategic hockey.  Something we couldn't do for the life of us in the first part of the year. 

Look how much we have improved by just removing OEL. We should sit Myers and Stillman for a couple games and just play literally anyone else just to see if things can half fix themselves by the simple addition by subtraction 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

40 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Look how much we have improved by just removing OEL. We should sit Myers and Stillman for a couple games and just play literally anyone else just to see if things can half fix themselves by the simple addition by subtraction 

We MUST buyout OEL this summer. Myers we can (fingers crossed) trade to a team trying to get to the cap floor after his bonus is paid. I’m thinking though it’s more likely we can’t move him out until the 2024 TDL. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

To me this was the key quote from Tocchet after the game. Colliton has done a great job in Abby.

1. Hogs, Aman, Podz, Klim and others have really improved their game at both ends of the ice. 

2. Wolanin and Brisebois were able to step in an play a solid system game. Nothing fancy but,frankly, more reliable than OEL or Stillman or Myers or Dermott.

3. Silovs also make a lot of progress. Most of that is probably due to the goalie coaches. but Colliton has coached an overall system game that reduces pressure on the goalies.

4. For a while Abby looked like they might have a shot at the Calder Cup. But JR and Allvin are making it tough on Abby by taking away their best forward (Pederson -- who was then lost waivers), taking away their best D (Wolanin), reclaiming some of the young guys who were playing well and, most importantly, taking away Silovs without a solid goalie to take over in Abby (although Martin played well tonight).

Compared to the pathetic "development" efforts in Utica and then in Abby during the Benning regime this is a great turnaround.

A small gesture by Tocchet, that can have a great affect as an organization.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We MUST buyout OEL this summer. Myers we can (fingers crossed) trade to a team trying to get to the cap floor after his bonus is paid. I’m thinking though it’s more likely we can’t move him out until the 2024 TDL. 

Would rather the Canucks trade him and retain the maximum, which should drop his cap to 3.6 Million for four more years vs four plus in a buyout.  Surely, at that price he is tradeable and he will not have to get re acquainted with Tocchet.  Wathcing him play uninspiring hockey is not endearing himself with the fanbased and his season ending injury conveniently occurred, right after Tocchet was hired.  Preferably, they trade him for something and get this overly paid slacker off the team or we can watch if the OEL and Tocchet saga can be re ignited in Vancouver.  Would be interesting since Tocchet brought along two D men, that has alot of name recognition. 

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Would rather the Canucks trade him and retain the maximum, which should drop his cap to 3.6 Million for four more years vs four plus in a buyout.  Surely, at that price he is tradeable and he will not have to get re acquainted with Tocchet.  Wathcing him play uninspiring hockey is not endearing himself with the fanbased and his season ending injury conveniently occurred, right after Tocchet was hired.  Preferably, they trade him for something and get this overly paid slacker off the team or we can watch if the OEL and Tocchet saga can be re ignited in Vancouver.  Would be interesting since Tocchet brought along two D men, that has alot of name recognition. 

OEL has a full No Move, doesn’t he? Weren’t the Bruins the only other team he would waive for when Benning made the deal? I can’t see them wanting OEL. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

OEL has a full No Move, doesn’t he? Weren’t the Bruins the only other team he would waive for when Benning made the deal? I can’t see them wanting OEL. 

(1) The FO knew about the friction between him & Tocchet in Arizona and they still hired Tocchet (lucky for him Tocchet brought along two former NHL D men, with name recognition).  (2) His season ending injury conveniently occured, right after Tocchet was hired.  (3) He has reverted back to same uninspired player, that Arizona wanted to move on from.  

Three reasons I can speculate, he will take any ticket out of town and waive his NMC cause it seems he has no desire playing for Tocchet.  The team needs a culture change and he should be a top priority for a BUS ticket out of town.

OR they stick OEL in LTIR and the FO learns to weaponize the Cap: OEL, Pearson and Poolman will equate to almost 14 million of LTIR room.  Francesco and his bright ideas will only cost him in the long run - well deserved.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Plaguez said:

No. I'm 100% team tank but we don't call for injuries to our best players. That's too far. 

I didn't call for an injury to Petey, just stating its between him and top 3... without him, they wouldn't win many games. 
But he is too good for us to sink to the bottom. We are going to meet a lot of teams that really suck between now and the seasons end, and there is no chance that we, with the form Petey is in are going to lose most of those...

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

What team would want a 3rd pairing guy for 3.6 million?  Maybe if Jim Benning gets hired by another NHL to be their GM

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

20 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

What team would want a 3rd pairing guy for 3.6 million?  Maybe if Jim Benning gets hired by another NHL to be their GM

Up to Allvin to make it work, unless he has given up and he uncreative, as you.  Wasn’t he able to trade, a very polarizing Hammer for something ?  

Worst case, OEL finds a way to stay away from Tocchet, by getting put in the LTIR for the duration of Tocchets' deal and the FO learns to weaponize the cap.  There are options and a creative GM that is intending of getting rid of that contract, will find a way.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

I didn't call for an injury to Petey, just stating its between him and top 3... without him, they wouldn't win many games. 
But he is too good for us to sink to the bottom. We are going to meet a lot of teams that really suck between now and the seasons end, and there is no chance that we, with the form Petey is in are going to lose most of those...

I understand what you are getting at.  You don't wish for an injury.  Only pointing out that IF Petey was out of the lineup......maybe even for personal family reasons....we'd have a way better shot at Bedard.

Sometimes injuries are a blessing.  Tampa Bay made use of $18 million injury circumvention to win a Cup.

I'm not advocating for injury either, but only to point out that some kind of non-major injury, where a player is still 100% healthy for training camp this Fall, to any of our top players, Miller, Hughes, or Petey, or a greater delay in returning Demko, would have an impact on us having a good draft, maybe even an exceptional one.

And actually, its a much more honourable way to tank if you just don't have the talent left on the team to compete on an even scale with other teams.  As opposed to losing continually with all our top core players healthy. It also doesn't give a lot of hope for next season if we don't have any injury excuses for this season. Demko's injuries early on probably made a huge difference already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I understand what you are getting at.  You don't wish for an injury.  Only pointing out that IF Petey was out of the lineup......maybe even for personal family reasons....we'd have a way better shot at Bedard.

Sometimes injuries are a blessing.  Tampa Bay made use of $18 million injury circumvention to win a Cup.

I'm not advocating for injury either, but only to point out that some kind of non-major injury, where a player is still 100% healthy for training camp this Fall, to any of our top players, Miller, Hughes, or Petey, or a greater delay in returning Demko, would have an impact on us having a good draft, maybe even an exceptional one.

And actually, its a much more honourable way to tank if you just don't have the talent left on the team to compete on an even scale with other teams.  As opposed to losing continually with all our top core players healthy. It also doesn't give a lot of hope for next season if we don't have any injury excuses for this season. Demko's injuries early on probably made a huge difference already.

Bingo. Exactly.... 

• There it is 1