The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Yet, Yzerman sees that writing on the wall and sells high on Hronek as well as Bertuzzi. Why can he see the writing but we cannot?

Detroit can do this because of all those years of drafting in the second round.

This is the pain being felt of having so many misses in the draft and giving away second round picks. We’re spending future seconds to make up for lost seconds. It’s a brutal cycle that we need to break.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Later, as in a year or two later, after drafting high and well this year and next. If this expedited plan doesn't work out, what is our prospect pool going to look like once we realize again that we should rebuild? 

The owner pays the bills ..he wants a retool not a rebuild ..that's obvious..a couple more decent d men ..the top six is almost set in stone. Goaltending with Demko will be decent..tweek the 3rd 4th lines a bit and they should be ok .it won't happen a yr or 2 later drafting .

Just now, DeNiro said:

This is the pain being felt of having so many misses in the draft and giving away second round picks. We’re spending future seconds to make up for lost seconds. It’s a brutal cycle that we need to break.

Agree. It's all shortcuts to try and build a playoff team for revenue, but the irony of this is we're not building a true playoff contending team and will lose more money in the long run. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Agree completely. With the accelerated retool, it’s hard to picture us hanging onto them in the near future.

• There it is 1

Just now, Rackdawg said:

The owner pays the bills ..he wants a retool not a rebuild ..that's obvious..a couple more decent d men ..the top six is almost set in stone. Goaltending with Demko will be decent..tweek the 3rd 4th lines a bit and they should be ok .it won't happen a yr or 2 later drafting .

And maybe they get there and can contend for a year or two, but I'd rather see us contend for a decade like the elite teams, or like our Sedin era team.

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Yet, Yzerman sees that writing on the wall and sells high on Hronek as well as Bertuzzi. Why can he see the writing but we cannot?

Bertuzzi is a pending UFA who was definitely not sold high.  He would have returned more if he was traded last TDL when he had 62pts in 68games.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

And maybe they get there and can contend for a year or two, but I'd rather see us contend for a decade like the elite teams, or like our Sedin era team.

I hear ya..I would go that way myself..but like I say we don't shell out the million dollar contacts...we just gotta sit back and enjoy the misery this team provides us lol

Edited by Rackdawg
I

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

Bertuzzi is a pending UFA who was definitely not sold high.  He would have returned more if he was traded last TDL when he had 62pts in 68games.

The point is Yzerman knows they're not close to contending, so he sold when he should have rather than trying to re-sign Bert. Somehow, we still think we're close to contending? 

From Reddit:

This is where we stand with 1st & 2nd round picks in the next three years compared to our closest rivals in the standings:

• Arizona - 13 picks

• Anaheim - 9 picks

• San Jose - 8 picks

• Montreal - 8 picks

• Vancouver - 4 picks

3 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Yes, he is an offensive defenseman but his ideal partner should also have some offensive acumen. If Hughes is in the offensive zone his partner will be as well and I can see the argument that the partner should have some complementary offensive skills (eg. a good shot). 

I'm finding the power play possibilities exciting. Hughes can get the puck from anywhere to anyone. I'm already picturing him and Hronek switching sides, dancing along the blue line, QH having a nasty one-timer option in FH to the left and a sneak tip magician with Kuzmenko by the net. Throw Petey in there with his own one-timer as a solid option, and wow does that PP look potent, even from the perimeter.

22 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

The ideal complement to Hughes doesn't necessarily have to be a player that is diametrically opposed to him in terms of skillset or type. 

Hughes - Hronek could definitely work, but it would be really nice to have a proper shutdown pair behind them.

(Maybe we go after Mayfield in free agency and run an OEL - Mayfield shutdown pair)

2 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

painful listening to Drance today - all he has done is whine whine whine. 

Really wish people would talk more about Hronek and what he may be able to do for us over the next 8 years....

He is talking about what he'll do for us: keep us in the cycle of mediocrity while kicking the rebuild can down the road a little more.

2 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

painful listening to Drance today - all he has done is whine whine whine. 

Really wish people would talk more about Hronek and what he may be able to do for us over the next 8 years....

That will never happen.  Only on 650 with Satiar Shah and Dan Riccio.  The rest of the parasites will be doom and gloom for the next 3 years until they run JR out of town...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

THIS.  I can't believe some people still fall for the bs that the parasites in the media spew out on a daily basis.  Button is an actual hockey insider, a former GM who actually knows what the f*ck he is talking about.  He said the trade was an A+, not even an A.  Meanwhile, you have the cheerleaders in the media who know nothing about how to run a hockey team saying it's the worst trade ever.  

Drance can spew out anything hew wants to get his clicks, I will never take him or any of his colleagues seriously.  Imagine if you were a Canucks fan and all you did every day was listen to Drance and Sekeras and Price.  You probably would become suicidal...

your right Drance is a goof.

• There it is 1