The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Bottom line is this, we were the only team with zero chance of making the playoffs who were major buyers at the deadline. Every other crap team either stayed put or sold off assets for picks and prospects.

If there's a plan I don't see it and management has yet to explain it.

We are buying for the future. We have pieces in place to compete. It’s been a tough year but no doubt we have a good chance to be much better next year. Obviously we’re gonna move Myers in the offseason and there’s still seemingly a chance of a Boeser or Garland move. But the group looks stronger now. Let’s say hypothetically we move Brock by tomorrow or in the summer and we move Myers too. 

Kuz-Petey-Beau

Mikheyev-Miller-Garland

Podz-Raty-Kravtsov 

Joshua-Lazar-Aman

Others in  or out possibly include Pearson, Hoglander, Dries, Studnicka, maybe Klimovich gets a look. Obviously there’s potential for free agency signings and other trades but on paper that looks like it has a lot of potential. I’d argue that Garland and Miller have been our most improved players since Tocchet took over compared to where they were earlier in the year. Beau is playing the best hockey of his career since coming to Vancouver. Our offense gives me a high sense of optimism. 

Hughes-Hronek 

OEL-Bear

Dermott-Burroughs (not really sure if he’s back or again if another move happens). 
Other possibilities: Poolman (if ever healthy again), Wolanin, Briesbois (he’s looked good since the recent call up), Rathbone, Johansson.

I don’t think the defense is incredible but I don’t think it’s bad either. I still would love to make another move or two to feel better about the potential there. 

Demko

Delia? 
Silovs?

A healthy Demko will hopefully bring us back up and make us good again. 

I guess the point is that right now our roster potential for next year feels better than it did. I have to think the young guys like Raty and Podz will really continue to grow. Maybe Kravtsov finds his game here. Hronek is a nice edition. And lots of things can still happen. I think with our core in place, management trying to be buyers for next year is a logical step. Even if everyone wants the tank, keep in mind, despite the slow start to the season, around the 30 game mark we were just barely outside of a playoff spot. Injuries and other stuff made us fall apart. But no doubt this team has shown a lot of promise. Not to mention we’ve played most of the year without Demko too. 

1 minute ago, CanuckleHorse said:

So let’s get this straight if we suck real bad for say a few years we are guaranteed a cup :bigblush:

No no no. You're guaranteed a cup if you're average for 12.

Next year is our year. 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think it's possible, and smarter, to still build around Petey and Hughes if we kept our picks this year, punted next year, drafted high again, and then start to contend. Or, be patient with our picks and use them as capital down the road, along with the cap space we would've had. Now we have no capital and cap space, yet again.

picks this year aren't relevant for 5 years. petey and hughes will be long gone before those players make an impact if you don't surround them with guys who can compete now. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Bottom line is this, we were the only team with zero chance of making the playoffs who were major buyers at the deadline. Every other crap team either stayed put or sold off assets for picks and prospects.

We can simply not agree with it but they are actually doing what they explained. Swapping out older guys for ready now players. 

I hate it too but we have no choice but to deal with it for 3 or 4 years till it either works or we get the big earthquake finally and won't have to worry about the Canucks anyways for years to come after that :P

3 minutes ago, tas said:

picks this year aren't relevant for 5 years. petey and hughes will be long gone before those players make an impact if you don't surround them with guys who can compete now. 

Are you on the side that we're ready to contend over the next few years?

• Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Question : If he's all that, why did Yzerman (who's not exactly a dummy) deem him expendable when his team is nearly playoff bound?

because different organizations have different needs, priorities, timelines and mindsets. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You seem to be thinking typical deadline/playoff push buyer. Those are typically rentals on expiring contracts. This was a standard hockey trade to address a team need. We traded for a 25 yr old top 4 RH d-man signed for another year and RFA after that. Were he 30+ you might have a point. But Hronek could be part of the core for the next 8 years. This isn't a "win now" move. It's a "build around our best players now" move. I have no problem with that.  

Again, we're 27th in the league in win percentage and we traded away a 1st and 2nd in one of the deepest drafts in decades. This is not a move that a team in our position should make. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Are you on the side that we're ready to contend over the next few years?

I'm on the side that if you aren't prepared to try, you have to trade pettersson and hughes. I'm also on the side that knows how to listen when the organization has been clearly stating that this is their sole intention since the new regime took over. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Baggins said:

You seem to be thinking typical deadline/playoff push buyer. Those are typically rentals on expiring contracts. This was a standard hockey trade to address a team need. We traded for a 25 yr old top 4 RH d-man signed for another year and RFA after that. Were he 30+ you might have a point. But Hronek could be part of the core for the next 8 years. This isn't a "win now" move. It's a "build around our best players now" move. I have no problem with that.  

Well said. 

If we can compliment Hughes and Hronek with (2) big physical shutdown types (eg. Livingstone, Bahl, Korczak), we will be in good shape. Trade Myers, and decrease OEL’s minutes as he finishes his contract. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Is Hronek really a top-10 RHD? If true I'd be ecstatic but based on Detroit fans comments about his defenisve issues, it seems like a stretch

Hronek is the following for RIGHT shooting defencemen (obvious there are other lefties that play right side like Dahlin):

#10 in points

#13 in even strength points

#25 in +/-

#25 in total ice time

I would say Hronek is top 15 right shooting defenceman in this league at the age for 25 with room to grow (For some reason people think he has peaked).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Question : If he's all that, why did Yzerman (who's not exactly a dummy) deem him expendable when his team is nearly playoff bound?

Yzerman is killing it.

It's obvious Detroit can't match up with the Eastern arms race, so he is selling high on Rhonek and kicking the can down the road.

Maybe one day we can beg Linden to come back, and just maybe he can follow in Stevie Y's footsteps. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

I'm on the side that if you aren't prepared to try, you have to trade pettersson and hughes. I'm also on the side that knows how to listen when the organization has been clearly stating that this is their sole intention since the new regime took over. 

I'm on both these sides as well, as I think our core will age out before we win anything and should probably think hard about going full rebuild, and I also accept the fact that this management team/owner has decided to go that route. I just disagree with their decision. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's not like we were "buyers" trading for a guy that walks at the end of the season... :lol:

14 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

who in history has been right about everything?  I have heard Drance say lots of dumbass crap over the years (he loved the DIckinson trade...) but I still value his opinion on players.

I don't really care for Craig Button one way or another, but he strikes me as a pretty knowledgable guy who is not afraid to call it as he sees it... he certainly comes across to me as more knowledgable than basically every other TSN insider over the last 10 years.

People inherently have selective hearing/memory and will gravitate to the opinions that match their own... I'm guilty of this myself no doubt.

I don't begrudge any fan who is sick of this team and has had enough already.... I have been on the record as being as such.  I just don't understand how you can be a professional journalist paid to cover this team and have this trade go down and not be able to come up with any more insightful than what they have come up with.  I read Drance's article on the Athletic and he hardly even discusses Hronek.... Image that!  One of the biggest young pieces we have acquired in awhile and he barely discusses him.

My experience with Button is that he's usually a cheerleader for Canadian teams. Calgary especially....

20 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Stop speaking logic and drink Frankie’s Koolaid Ooooooh yaaaaaah!

*The contrarian argument is*
But if we don’t try and make the playoffs next year, Petey won’t want to sign here long term if we want to rebuild… my argument with that is, Petey is a fantastic player. Likewise with Hughes and Demko. That said the previous management and now current management f**ked up the competitive timeline with the Miller trade, OEL trade, Miller/Boeser resigning and now this trade when we don’t have enough horses in the stable. We don’t have the depth to be a contender. So at this point I want Petey and Hughes to go elsewhere because we aren’t winning anytime soon and we are literally wasting their prime years here. We refuse to accept to tare it down because we are afraid of losing our star player? Well wither fans want to accept it or not, we are going to lose Petey because JB and JR (FA mostly) f**ked up our competitive window.

Listening to the morning show today they had a funny segment of what next years slogan should be. It was said that it should be “READY OR NOT HERE WE COME” 

• There it is 1