The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Judging by the other moves by Detroit today, it looks like they are in a pick accumulation phase again. They traded more players and then signed Alex Chassion. Which indicates to me that Yzerman wasn't just flipping Hronick because of concussion problems 

they look like they are re-rebuilding, I do not get it, especially Hronek, that was a core piece they moved...

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ballard & Gudbranson both looked and played  top 4 minutes being dealt to us.

What's your point? I said don't judge the new guy till he at least plays some games here. Frik, it's like this board is filled with kids that sneak out at midnight to open there Xmas presents, no patience. Oops, hope I didn't ruin the Santa thing for those folks. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

What's your point? I said don't judge the new guy till he at least plays some games here. Frik, it's like this board is filled with kids that sneak out at midnight to open there Xmas presents, no patience. Oops, hope I didn't ruin the Santa thing for those folks. 

eh?  Where did I judge Hronek?  Before you accuse others of things, try not to put words in my mouth that I didn't say. 

Physician heal thyself.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

eh?  Where did I judge Hronek?  Before you accuse others of things, try not to put words in my mouth that I didn't say. 

Physician heal thyself.

I don't understand your original point?

Just now, rekker said:

I don't understand your original point?

You called those two players busts & thus not a comparable.  There were only busts *after the fact*.  Both those players looked ok in top 4 minutes much like Hronek.  Whether the outcome ends up the same remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You called those two players busts & thus not a comparable.  There were only busts *after the fact*.  Both those players looked ok in top 4 minutes much like Hronek.  Whether the outcome ends up the same remains to be seen.

My original point was for fans to be patient, wait and see what we got. Sounds like you and I are on the same page. All good. Guess I'm a little grumpy. 

Edited by rekker

Just now, rekker said:

My original point was for fans to be patient, wait and see what we got. Sounds like you and I are on the same page. All good. Guess I'm a little grumpy. 

Hey, look on the bright side, it's Friday.

Unless you gotta work weekends; then you got a good reason to be grumpy.:)

Peace!:metal:

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think the trade of Bertuzzi tells us that Yzerman doesn't see his core as one that can be anything more than a bubble team, so he re-signed his one untouchable and then put up the "Yard Sale" sign....

Wasn't Bertuzzi drafted a decade ago though?  To me this was Larkin or Bertuzzi not both.   Smart management. We kept Miller (wanted to stay) and traded Horvat for basically Hronek, Raty and Antony B.     Both franchise's started around the same time - for sure they can be judged together as well (their next core - Detoits is all gone now except Larkin and the guys below him). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

they look like they are re-rebuilding, I do not get it, especially Hronek, that was a core piece they moved...

I just read a few pages at the Detroit HF board. Basically the short of it is , they never seemed to draft anything elite in their previous rebuild. No Petterson or Hughs for them. The token cautionary tale about rebuilds. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I just read a few pages at the Detroit HF board. Basically the short of it is , they never seemed to draft anything elite in their previous rebuild. No Petterson or Hughs for them. The token cautionary tale about rebuilds. 

You need players of both types.  Look at the Oilers for example.  Two elite forwards and likely to make the playoffs every year.  Problem is, roster is badly made up & that team is a first round exit candidate many seasons.  We (Canucks) of all people know what it's like surrounding elite players like EP, Hughes, and Miller with dog****.

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yep.  Detroit and Vancouver won more games than anyone (with SJ) from 2000-2014.    Regular season ones anyways.   Holland couldn't do it one more time.   Yzerman i'm sure regrets Zadina. 

• elephant 1

My concern here, is which Hronek are we getting. On Dec 14, he absorbed an enormous (though legal) hit to the head from Reeves:

Here are his stats prior to and after absorbing this hit and not being sat as per protocol.

Before that hit on Dec 14, 2022, he was:

29gp 6g 18a 24pts +11

Since:

31gp 3G 11a 14pts -3

His production fell nearly in half, and his D fell through the floor.

So, why did Stevie Y dump a high value, reasonably young RHD? Is it because he saw a team that doesn’t do their homework coming? Co-incedently: the top rated RHD in the draft is projected to go around #14, Pellikka. That is about where that NYI pick we got for Horvat is sitting right now. 

Hronek is currently out with an “upper body injury”, but how far back do we have to go to find the root of that injury. Hopefully we have not acquired another Baertschi/Ferland/Poolman/Dermott injury - this one at enormous cost.

Have we practiced due diligence on this trade?

I sure hope this is not the second coming of the OEL trade.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hey, look on the bright side, it's Friday.

Unless you gotta work weekends; then you got a good reason to be grumpy.:)

Peace!:metal:

I got a Pils cracked, my kids OUA game on cue, let the good times role!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Hmmm. Reminds us how nice it is to have our core. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

My concern here, is which Hronek are we getting. On Dec 14, he absorbed an enormous (though legal) hit to the head from Reeves:

Here are his stats prior to and after absorbing this hit and not being sat as per protocol.

Before that hit on Dec 14, 2022, he was:

29gp 6g 18a 24pts +11

Since:

31gp 3G 11a 14pts -3

His production fell nearly in half, and his D fell through the floor.

So, why did Stevie Y dump a high value, reasonably young RHD? Is it because he saw a team that doesn’t do their homework coming? Co-incedently: the top rated RHD in the draft is projected to go around #14, Pellikka. That is about where that NYI pick we got for Horvat is sitting right now. 

Hronek is currently out with an “upper body injury”, but how far back do we have to go to find the root of that injury. Hopefully we have not acquired another Baertschi/Ferland/Poolman/Dermott injury - this one at enormous cost.

Have we practiced due diligence on this trade?

I sure hope this is not the second coming of the OEL trade.

Hronek doesn't come was AWFUL cap hit.  HUGE difference imho.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wasn't Bertuzzi drafted a decade ago though?  To me this was Larkin or Bertuzzi not both.   Smart management. We kept Miller (wanted to stay) and traded Horvat for basically Hronek, Raty and Antony B.     Both franchise's started around the same time - for sure they can be judged together as well (their next core - Detoits is all gone now except Larkin and the guys below him). 

Yeah, he's been around for a while, but he's only a year removed from a 30 goal season. Not sure it was an either/or choice for Stevie Y, but he certainly didn't seem to feel that it was worth signing TB to a new deal.....

• Cheers 1