The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, Metal Face Doom said:

People talking about winning a cup like they have a solid plan.  Reality check, you don't.  Your plan is no better with your imaginary scouting reports mixed with your imaginary trade scenarios.  Great thing about sports is it gives people a fairy tale world to live in.  While the FO's around the league are faced with the reality.  Not based off of rumors or conjecture.  How many teams really contend for a cup? Maybe 2-4 out of 32.  LOL.  But fans know better. 

You can hate the moves All you want but the way this FO is maneuvering, it's pretty obvious the direction they're going.  You can either hate it, love it or be impartial.  If you hate it, put your money where your mouth is and stop watching or following.  See if it makes a difference.

You say there is a clear direction. Everyone else says there isn't. You appear to be the only one who thinks you see something that everyone else doesn't see.

5 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

People talking about winning a cup like they have a solid plan.  Reality check, you don't.  Your plan is no better with your imaginary scouting reports mixed with your imaginary trade scenarios.  Great thing about sports is it gives people a fairy tale world to live in.  While the FO's around the league are faced with the reality.  Not based off of rumors or conjecture.  How many teams really contend for a cup? Maybe 2-4 out of 32.  LOL.  But fans know better. 

You can hate the moves All you want but the way this FO is maneuvering, it's pretty obvious the direction they're going.  You can either hate it, love it or be impartial.  If you hate it, put your money where your mouth is and stop watching or following.  See if it makes a difference.

How has the plan of retooling worked for this franchise? Oh ya it hasn't. Their plan of retooling hasn't, most likely won't work because its proven it hasn't. Their is evidence. I am not have a solid plan but I know one they should move away from. Stop the retool. It's been way too many years of trying and I am surprised people are still for it. For them, there hasn't been enough pain, years, and evidence? 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

:lol:

Did you copy/paste that rant in every thread in the Trades forum? :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

How has the plan of retooling worked for this franchise? Oh ya it hasn't. Their plan of retooling hasn't, most likely won't work because its proven it hasn't. Their is evidence. I am not have a solid plan but I know one they should move away from. Stop the retool. It's been way too many years of trying and I am surprised people are still for it. For them, there hasn't been enough pain, years, and evidence? 

We try to be good, We fail.

We try to retool, We fail miserably.

I don't even want to see a FA style rebuild :lol:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

:lol:

Did you copy/paste that rant in every thread in the Trades forum? :lol:

What he wrote isn't wrong.   But it won't stop the comments. That's why we have a forum, way before social media was a thing. 

• Wat 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

What he wrote isn't wrong.   But it won't stop the comments. That's why we have a forum, way before social media was a thing. 

Actually it is. I posted my plan a few pages back.

People are welcome to disagree with it, but it's a plan and I'm more than happy to defend it against whatever criticism anyone wants to make..

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Unless you are not paying attention then all you have to do is listen to Rutherford and Co. from the onset of when they were hired a year ago. Its not some big surprise or confusing state we are in. Its a joke the amount of crap by some posters here and the media acting like this is all so confusing or no direction in sight lol. its comical and disappointing to listen to.

JR and company have no clue about what they are doing.

The first year, they say the Canucks were a few pieces from being a playoff team, with the emphasis that they'd be close if they add the right pieces. This year, we are the bottom of the league with a lot of cap.

That's another thing. They said they'd clear cap. We are in cap trouble, partially because we added 8 million in cap.

Now we've traded away picks as a retool team while every other bottom feeder has collected them. We are dealing like we are a playoff team. That is why this is such a joke.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually it is. I posted my plan a few pages back.

People are welcome to disagree with it, but it's a plan and I'm more than happy to defend it against whatever criticism anyone wants to make..

Then send it to JR and PA ASAP...before it's too late

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

JR and company have no clue about what they are doing.

The first year, they say the Canucks were a few pieces from being a playoff team, with the emphasis that they'd be close if they add the right pieces. This year, we are the bottom of the league with a lot of cap.

That's another thing. They said they'd clear cap. We are in cap trouble, partially because we added 8 million in cap.

Now we've traded away picks as a retool team while every other bottom feeder has collected them. We are dealing like we are a playoff team. That is why this is such a joke.

It's the definition of insanity and expecting different results. I think the organization is filled with insane people.

Here's my prediction for the rest of the deadline....

The Canucks will make no major moves. After it's all over they'll offer some platitudes about how they're comfortable with the moves they made and the group they have moving forward....

My suspicion is that they tried very hard to move Cap (probably Boeser, Garland and Myers) but were being lowballed (or asked to retain) because other teams know they're in a Cap crunch....

BTW: I'd love to be proven wrong on that front.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Here's my prediction for the rest of the deadline....

The Canucks will make no major moves. After it's all over they'll offer some platitudes about how they're comfortable with the moves they made and the group they have moving forward....

My suspicion is that they tried very hard to move Cap (probably Boeser, Garland and Myers) but were being lowballed (or asked to retain) because other teams know they're in a Cap crunch....

BTW: I'd love to be proven wrong on that front.

Lol if history shows the Canucks never get lowballed, they are just adverse to taking picks for some damn reason.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A couple of people have asked for a "plan"....

I can't speak for anyone else, but my plan / hope was that we would continue down the path we started on when we traded Horvat for futures. I was hoping we could unload a couple of other contracts (Boeser, Miller, Myers) for some draft capital and Cap flexibility.

I was hoping we would slide a bit closer to the basement and have a decent chance at Bedard and if not him, then one of the other top few players available.

My plan was to look to address the holes in the off season, hopefully after some of the larger contracts were moved. I was hoping that if we didn't see a valuable defender by the time the Islanders' pick came around, we might have accrued enough draft capital to trade up to a spot where we could get one...If the Isles decided to hang onto that pick, then I would become a big fan of every team playing them next season....

I realize that it takes time for draft picks to develop, but I reject the premise that player drafted this summer can't possibly be making an impact while the current core is still playing at a high level....and besides, if we had some Cap flexibility, we would be able to plug some of those holes in the lineup with placeholders like Schenn....

That was my plan.....I know many of you will disagree with it, but someone was whingeing about people who didn't like the trade criticizing management and demanded an alternative....so there you go...

Seems very one foot in one foot out. Draft & get placeholders while we wait for them, or hope bargain undervalued players come along.

I've said before Pettersson is 24 & entering his true peak/prime. If we look at the draft history (regarding the Islanders pick) you might be able to get a forward step in and play quicker in a secondary offensive role (Tomasino, Hoglander, Jarvis, Wyatt Johnson come to mind) but defenseman generally take longer.

Look at the 2019 class (which was considered a good year for D prospects), outside of Byram who was the #4 pick which of these is an impact player; Broberg, Soderstrom, Cam York, Harley, Thomson, Heinola, Bjornfot, Johnson. Then 2020; Guhle, Schneider, Mukhamadulin, Barron. Some of these guys (Schneider, Guhle) are just beginning to establish themselves this year in their D+3 season. 

I'm not that worried about using that pick to get a youngish player that's really good right now - and 25 mind you, can grow with our group - my concern is whether Hronek is actually that guy. If you had told me before we could move that pick to get a 25 y/o RH puck moving #2 or #3D, I probably would've done it.

I agree about getting as high a pick as possible this year, and I think they've done a decent job moving out some players & icing a less than ideal roster, but I don't think they can tank going forward they need to try to build the team & improve the culture around this organization.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

The direction is pretty clear and transparent.  It just doesn't align with what you want.

Actually, it doesn’t align with what they said: we cant afford to trade high draft picks, you cant be a bottom dweller and be capped strapped, and we need major surgery.

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Actually, it doesn’t align with what they said: we cant afford to trade high draft picks, you cant be a bottom dweller and be capped strapped, and we need major surgery.

they said in plain english they prefer younger players over draft picks and would be retooling not rebuilding. no more selective listening. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1