The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

16 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

And with no pipeline, then we will never have any depth. One injury and you take a massive downgrade at the position.

If we rebuild, it might not work fast, or at all, but it might.

Retooling as they call it, being perpetual buyer, definitely won't work. 

Alvin thinks were going to make the playoffs next year. How? The team isn't really any better.  Lie to us, lie to ownership, but don't lie to yourself.

Exactly, the chances of us making the playoffs next year is roughly 1%. It's a horrendously poor team with negative space. How on earth will we get any better. Allvin has an insanely ardous task ahead. Nearly impossible really. The year after maybe they get some cap relief.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, the chances of us making the playoffs next year is roughly 1%. It's a horrendously poor team with negative space. How on earth will we get any better. Allvin has an insanely ardous task ahead. Nearly impossible really. The year after maybe they get some cap relief.

if Demko stays healthy, they are a bubble team, easily, imo.  That said, it depends on what they have to bleed to get cap compliant this summer

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

AM is a lw

I don't know enough about Livingstone, but he'd supplant eithr Scenn or JUulsen Id imagine

I wasn’t suggesting that both were possible claimants for the team’s defence. 

I was asking as possible acquisitions to the team, particularly with the recent trade of Kalynuk in order to free up another contract spot to, to what appears to be a possible pathway to shoring up the roster for next year by way of the NCAA and European acquisitions, in order to acquire skilled talent in order to bypass the overpayments in Free Agency. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

if Demko stays healthy, they are a bubble team, easily, imo.  That said, it depends on what they have to bleed to get cap compliant this summer

They went 0-7 to start the season with a healthy Demko.

Have we really improved that much?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I wasn’t suggesting that both were possible claimants for the team’s defence. 

I was asking as possible acquisitions to the team, particularly with the recent trade of Kalynuk in order to free up another contract spot to, to what appears to be a possible pathway to shoring up the roster for next year by way of the NCAA and European acquisitions, in order to acquire skilled talent in order to bypass the overpayments in Free Agency. 

I agree that it looks like they're making some spots for a run at some guys.  AM, obviously, and Livingstone would be welcome addition.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Devron said:

No and I mean it’s only been a year. We have a ton of contract space now. I suspect a few college signings soon

Yeah, it would be nice if say Livingston was a player but I'm not holding my breath or counting on it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

that was all coaching.  It was pretty obvious, from training camp, that something was rotten in Denmark........Denmark being the defensive "system" employed.  I don't care who the goalie is, he's going to get ventilated with a team giving up that many high quality chances. 

I can't stand RT, but they are playng a much more structured game and it's showing.  They won't be nearlt as bad next season.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Likelihood of either? In your opinion. 

I think AM, almost for sure.  I think the org (JB as well), made sure to let him know he was wanted and valuable.  They've got plenty of NCAA players and that'll make it a pretty easy decision for him.  

I can't imagine that the Canucks wouldn't be on the top of a BC boys list, especially after playing in Langley.  Seems like a no brainer to me, but certainly no guarantee......for either one of them

• Tanks a lot 1

Just now, stawns said:

I think AM, almost for sure.  I think the org (JB as well), made sure to let him know he was wanted and valuable.  They've got plenty of NCAA players and that'll make it a pretty easy decision for him.  

I can't imagine that the Canucks wouldn't be on the top of a BC boys list, especially after playing in Langley.  Seems like a no brainer to me, but certainly no guarantee......for either one of them

Second question…

Would you consider his acquisition a small bite? 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not so sure. This team has a lot of maturing yet to do. They could be not bad or fall flat on their face again.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would have to agree. This is currently still a poorly constructed and woefully bad defensively hockey team. I'll believe it when I see it.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Demko wasn’t healthy though. He was trying to play through injury. He looks healthy now though, and looks great again. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not so sure. This team has a lot of maturing yet to do. They could be not bad or fall flat on their face again.

I would have to agree. This is currently still a poorly constructed and woefully bad defensively hockey team. I'll believe it when I see it.

They're improving game by game and with Demko, it will make a huge difference.  Johanssen and Hronek will be big adds and will be a big improvement defensively.

I didn't include Myers in there, but there's a good chance he's still around as well.

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wouldn’t surprise me with this ownerships directive.

An 8-10 player will be 5-6 years away if they make it at all. Management has already shown they’re not willing to wait that long.

Which is why it’s baffling they’re allowing Tocchett to play Hughes 28+ minutes a night like they’re in a playoff hunt. It’s absurd. 

They need to sit him down and remind him of the teams long term goals. One of the top 3 centers in this draft will probably ensure he has a job for much longer.

This is true.  And a 13-16 player is also 5-6 years away and has an even less of a chance to even make it.  This is why they made the trade for Hronek, who at 25 can play right away in the top 4 and contribute.  Petey and Hughes don't want to hang around 5-6 more years for a rebuild.  If this trade isn't made, maybe Petey doesn't sign an extension, and Huhges is already buying his house in New Jersey...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The last game showed a major improvement in my opinion.  That is the best that Demko has looked all year.  Guys like Podkolzin, Petey, Joshua, Aman and even Beau and Kravtsov were playing well defensively.  We can't really grade the D because most of them are AHL'ers and won't even be in next year's starting lineup.  But I would say that even Myers had a decent game.  

1 hour ago, awalk said:

"- On Hronek, the weren't actively shopping him. Got an offer they couldnt refuse"

My assumption had been they learned Yzerman was shopping Hronek and felt they had to jump in and make a deal now instead of waiting until the draft. That appears to not have been the case.

So basically Allvin overpaid for their 3rd best defenceman and Yzerman couldn't say no.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  And a 13-16 player is also 5-6 years away and has an even less of a chance to even make it.  This is why they made the trade for Hronek, who at 25 can play right away in the top 4 and contribute.  Petey and Hughes don't want to hang around 5-6 more years for a rebuild.  If this trade isn't made, maybe Petey doesn't sign an extension, and Huhges is already buying his house in New Jersey...

Yep which is why I was saying I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded an 8-10 pick for a young center or D man for the same reason.

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The last game showed a major improvement in my opinion.  That is the best that Demko has looked all year.  Guys like Podkolzin, Petey, Joshua, Aman and even Beau and Kravtsov were playing well defensively.  We can't really grade the D because most of them are AHL'ers and won't even be in next year's starting lineup.  But I would say that even Myers had a decent game.  

Teams are taking us lightly again and Demko is having to shut down numerous grade A chances.

I really don’t see much difference between that and how we played down the stretch last season to be honest.

Demko is just playing like Demko again. It’s not sustainable for him to have to play like that over the course of a season again though.