The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

4 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Wow. There are options man, that dont involve losing Garland and Boeser. And someone has to want both Miller, Myers and why do you think OEL is worth both a Boeser and a Garland? you never mention how OEL gets off your win list.

I don’t think OEL can be moved without a big sweetener and don’t think we should do that.

The other guys you move as many or all of them depending on finding takers.

Boeser and Garland can be replaced for cheaper and there is a decent chance we could move them without having to include a big sweetener.   We would be lucky to lose them at this point.

Teams will be looking for centres, exactly like I mentioned with St. Louis.  Horvat and Larkin are off the market, so not a lot of options.

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I’m not fully convinced we need to break the bank on a partner for Hughes.  At least not as a priority.  A Bear/Schenn bandaid there might be fine and maybe a guy like Livingstone could get a look - but that’s a huge jump.

Id be out looking for a rock solid LD who can anchor the PK more than anything.  To play with Hronek, maybe, as well.

PK guy? oh, we got Myers and OEL and look at the cap, can we sell them? Yes we got the stick man blocker, and the ducking big guy. you want to sell good forwards to get more Defense cap spending?

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think OEL can be moved without a big sweetener and don’t think we should do that.

The other guys you move as many or all of them depending on finding takers.

Boeser and Garland can be replaced for cheaper and there is a decent chance we could move them without having to include a big sweetener.   We would be lucky to lose them at this point.

Teams will be looking for centres, exactly like I mentioned with St. Louis.  Horvat and Larkin are off the market, so not a lot of options.

the sweetener for OEL should have been Horvat or Schenn.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

The world it makes sense to me to keep OEL and qualify BEAR

Is if we sign Jake Livingstone to an ELC.

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE/BEAR

GAVRIKOV-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR/LIVINGSTONE

1. Livingstone is going to want opportunity where he signs. I mean we give him every opportunity to play with Hughes but if he’s not ready for it in it’s entirety it would be nice to have Bear there. We do know Bear can play with Hughes. 

2. Gavrikov-Hronek will be eating meaningful and hard minutes making Hughes even more effective over the course of 60 minutes. This would take some pressure off Livingstones rookie year.

3. OELs best partner all year imo was Bear. Bears puck retrieval and mobility really helped OEL. A healthier OEL-BEAR should be a very effective 3rd pairing.

4. Bear could probably be had for a 1 year deal. As having some opportunity to continue building on his market value here in an improved system and oils set him up to cash in next UFA season. If all goes smooth. 

5. Hronek extension, we still will have an OEL buyout as an ace in our pocket next offseason. But if OEL has a good summer and a decent year we may be able to trade him with retention rather than buy him out. Bear extension would only be 1 year in my Vision of it working so he wouldn’t impact Hronek money / cap issue.

My opinion on how it could shake down. 

Posted that same D group a couple days ago. 3 solid pairs of interchangeable guys.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

The world it makes sense to me to keep OEL and qualify BEAR

Is if we sign Jake Livingstone to an ELC.

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE/BEAR

GAVRIKOV-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR/LIVINGSTONE

1. Livingstone is going to want opportunity where he signs. I mean we give him every opportunity to play with Hughes but if he’s not ready for it in it’s entirety it would be nice to have Bear there. We do know Bear can play with Hughes. 

2. Gavrikov-Hronek will be eating meaningful and hard minutes making Hughes even more effective over the course of 60 minutes. This would take some pressure off Livingstones rookie year.

3. OELs best partner all year imo was Bear. Bears puck retrieval and mobility really helped OEL. A healthier OEL-BEAR should be a very effective 3rd pairing.

4. Bear could probably be had for a 1 year deal. As having some opportunity to continue building on his market value here in an improved system and oils set him up to cash in next UFA season. If all goes smooth. 

5. Hronek extension, we still will have an OEL buyout as an ace in our pocket next offseason. But if OEL has a good summer and a decent year we may be able to trade him with retention rather than buy him out. Bear extension would only be 1 year in my Vision of it working so he wouldn’t impact Hronek money / cap issue.

My opinion on how it could shake down. 

Gavrikov? How did we get him?:huh:

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gavrikov? How did we get him?:huh:

I’ve posted other places all over the boards I’ve drank the rumour koolaid that he’s our UFA target and I. Signing him Myers gots to goes

Just now, R3aL said:

I’ve posted other places all over the boards I’ve drank the rumour koolaid that he’s our UFA target and I. Signing him Myers gots to goes

You make it sound so simple....

Personally, I don't think there's any chance we add a UFA, considering the Cap situation.....but I love the optimism....

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You make it sound so simple....

Personally, I don't think there's any chance we add a UFA, considering the Cap situation.....but I love the optimism....

I ran it on cap friendly it’s possible as long as Myers is gone.

it’s just pure speculation and a possibility

• Thanks 1

Just now, R3aL said:

I ran it on cap friendly it’s possible as long as Myers is gone.

it’s just pure speculation and a possibility

Yeah, I figured....however, that's the part I have trouble seeing come about. Hopefully I'm wrong....

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Didn’t the kings trade a 1st in the deal for Gavrikov?

Why are we signing him all of a sudden? 

Plus we simply don’t have the cap space to be filling top 4 spots on D via UFA.  If we land someone, it’ll likely be like Marcus Pettersson via trade.

Or a bargain bin type. 

Big reason why I think we’ll bring back Bear as long as he doesn’t get greedy.  Or circle back on Schenn depending on if we can land a big freebie fish like Livingstone. 

Burrows and Wolanin are great but they need to be 7-8 or even 9 down the depth chart - they’ll still get to play. 

We got our 1 2 punch in Hughes Hronak and the anchor in OEL.

Besides them we have a bundle of player 5-6 roles and prospects as EP2 and Johansson coming soon.

Hughes - Juulsen/Bear/Burroughs/Poolman

Wolanin/Dermott/Johansson/EP2/Rathbone/Brisebois/And More - Hronek

OEL-Myers/Juulsen/Bear/Burroughs/Poolman

We just need three of those other players to manage NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I figured....however, that's the part I have trouble seeing come about. Hopefully I'm wrong....

The bottom dwelling teams need contracts like his and he’s a big rhd I think it’s gonna happen

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As already mentioned, the Islanders are a defense first team....but the fact remains, he is their leading scorer ATM.

As far as being "WAY overpaid"....contracts are negotiated based on comparables. Guys with similar deals include Tomas Hertl, Mika Zibanejad and Filip Forsberg. Of those three, the only one with better numbers than Bo is MZ....and he plays on a much better offensive team.

Bo Horvat: 0.675 points per game in his career 

MZ: .778 points per game 

FF: 0.829 points per game 

TH: .675 points per game 

Brayden Schenn: .678 points per game 

RNH: .773 points per game 

Bo Horvat is making more money than all of his true comparable (RNH at 5.2, BS at 6.5, TH at 8) 

Cherry on top? Matt Barzal who has played his entire career with that “defense first team” has put up 0.86 points per game. And is being paid only slightly more than Bo 

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

I think post bonus paid he will fit in Anaheim for his final year 

Teams in the playoffs with rentals might take a chance.The sens,Boston might if we sweeten the deal with a forward for Carlo straight across.

Who knows maybe Arizona to trade at the deadline and we grab a puck for 20224.

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Bo Horvat: 0.675 points per game in his career 

MZ: .778 points per game 

FF: 0.829 points per game 

TH: .675 points per game 

Brayden Schenn: .678 points per game 

RNH: .773 points per game 

Bo Horvat is making more money than all of his true comparable (RNH at 5.2, BS at 6.5, TH at 8) 

Cherry on top? Matt Barzal who has played his entire career with that “defense first team” has put up 0.86 points per game. And is being paid only slightly more than Bo 

Watched a lot of Islander games after the Bo trade. He’s back to his regular 50-60 point self. Brock Nelson is a much better player than Bo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

I watched a few and that’s exactly right. 

NYI doesn’t let him cheat in the defensive zone. They also have more than our 3 set plays on the power play, 2 of which involved a Bo Horvat tip or shot from down low. 

Ive been beating this drum forever that Miller is a far more complete player and they made the right call by re-signing him. 

this notion that we can’t win with him is absurd. Dallas has 10 million dollar Seguin (overpaid by 4m easily) vs Millers 8m for a point per game 2C is very fair value.

I don’t see anyone giving Miller credit for taking a deal that reflected his typical performance (point per game) instead of demanding a contract based on his outlier season (99 points). It was a very unselfish decision that he made. He could have held out for a big UFA payday, considering the other contracts that GMs were signing for comparables (see Huberdeau at 10.5m). 

I loved Bo but in the end 6-6.5m is a fair deal for what he is, and I’m glad we kept the player that we did. 

lol comparing to Seguin is not helping you support your claim. If Miller pulls a Seguin in a few years, it doesn't matter if it's 8 mil or 10 mil that he's making, everyone will be wanting him gone. 

I agree with the rest though. Miller is and has been a better player than Horvat in general aside from a few mental lapses that he has been prone to in the past. He has cut down on a lot of those since Tocchet took over and he's looking like a complete player.

Horvat with his deal signed will likely focus on playing within the system as he has done all his career. He's never cheated for offence until this season when he found out what the initial offer was from the Canucks. As he builds chemistry with Barzal, he will still be scoring 30 goals and might be pushing to around 70 points but assists and playmaking were never his strong suit so 30 goals 50-70 point player.