The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And during the Bedard chase, what does management do instead of selling or sitting pat? We tried to do everything we could to win games lol.

What would have been your preferred course of action? Sit Petey, Miller, Hughes, Kuzmenko, Demko, or some combination of the 5? Slash their minutes and give them to depth players? 

The roster was never bad enough to truly tank. They had a horrible first half with porous defense and AHL goaltending. If you think they had any chance of finishing around or lower than Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, Montreal, Philly, San Jose, or Arizona I'd say you're nuts. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

What would have been your preferred course of action? Sit Petey, Miller, Hughes, Kuzmenko, Demko, or some combination of the 5? Slash their minutes and give them to depth players? 

The roster was never bad enough to truly tank. They had a horrible first half with porous defense and AHL goaltending. If you think they had any chance of finishing around or lower than Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, Montreal, Philly, San Jose, or Arizona I'd say you're nuts. 

Silovs was doing pretty good, but there was no sense in putting him to fail. They should've left him there instead of having him play meaningless games. I am not blaming him for helping us. Far from it. The team clearly needed to go through a small rebuild of some kind. Instead, we offloaded the Horvat pick to buy a luxury item instead of being patient.

The team simply needed to float. Bring up some new guys to showcase them in a trade.

We didn't finish that much better than Detroit, so we could've gone to 8 or 9th. If we had kept the second 1st rounder, we could've gotten ASP or someone else. One of these guys could fill the role of Hronek. Do we REALLY need Hronek?

What if Hronek gets injured or busts in the future? Will people still think it's a good trade? It's an incredibly short sighted move to begin with. And if Hronek doesn't perform as expected, this trade will be awful.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Silovs was doing pretty good, but there was no sense in putting him to fail. They should've left him there instead of having him play meaningless games. I am not blaming him for helping us. Far from it. The team clearly needed to go through a small rebuild of some kind. Instead, we offloaded the Horvat pick to buy a luxury item instead of being patient.

The team simply needed to float. Bring up some new guys to showcase them in a trade.

We didn't finish that much better than Detroit, so we could've gone to 8 or 9th. If we had kept the second 1st rounder, we could've gotten ASP or someone else. One of these guys could fill the role of Hronek. Do we REALLY need Hronek?

What if Hronek gets injured or busts in the future? Will people still think it's a good trade? It's an incredibly short sighted move to begin with. And if Hronek doesn't perform as expected, this trade will be awful.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first paragraph. The Canucks ran with a rookie goalie, that's a tank move right there. 

Who do you suggest they bring up? PGD, Brisebois, Juulsen, Hirose, Studnicka, Dries, Wolanin, Kravtsov, McDonough, and McWard all played games down the stretch. In some cases, like Dries and PDG, they played higher up the lineup anybody could've expected them to. 

Moving from 8th to 9th would've changed nothing. 

The bolded sentences are very contradictory. "What if this proven commodity runs into an injury or doesn't fit well with us and he all of a sudden sucks, then I say we should've kept the draft pick and run with the 18 year old who will definitely help us".

11 minutes ago, BavarianCanuck said:

Trade for a 25 year old top4 RHD is a shortsighted move?

Sorry thats stupid

Picks are great but nobody knows how they pan out.

Hronek is young enough to play about 10 years for this club and is helping right now.

To wait for a prospect could be too late to resign Petey or Hughes.

This team needs help now and in the future.

Hronek is a perfect fit for this core.

Just like the picks were good for Detroit as they are farther away than Vancouver.  Trade was good for both teams.

21 minutes ago, BavarianCanuck said:

Trade for a 25 year old top4 RHD is a shortsighted move?

Sorry thats stupid

Picks are great but nobody knows how they pan out.

Hronek is young enough to play about 10 years for this club and is helping right now.

To wait for a prospect could be too late to resign Petey or Hughes.

This team needs help now and in the future.

Hronek is a perfect fit for this core.

This. This. This. 

This trade showed the core that management believes in them. Also, we were never out-tanking those bottom 5, they are pathetic. We were 1 lotto ball away from winning it all. Had we tanked, and lost Bédard to 11th place, what would the fanbase have said then? 

if you’re not tanking for bottom 3, there’s no point. We got our guy, who fits a positional need at 11, and added a top pairing RHD to boot. 

This is a very refreshing management group, they know what they’re doing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This. This. This. 

This trade showed the core that management believes in them. Also, we were never out-tanking those bottom 5, they are pathetic. We were 1 lotto ball away from winning it all. Had we tanked, and lost Bédard to 11th place, what would the fanbase have said then? 

if you’re not tanking for bottom 3, there’s no point. We got our guy, who fits a positional need at 11, and added a top pairing RHD to boot. 

I wouldn't go that far yet... They've been better than the previous regime but that ain't sayin much.  Tomorrow will go a long way towards building a positive outlook on this management team an franchise alike.  Hopefully tomorrow ends up being the 'tsn turning point' this franchise has been lacking for over a decade now.

19 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't actually. This is the problem with people here. They only remember the stuff I criticize about, not the stuff I praised.

Like Benning, this management has had good moves and bad moves.

Good moves:

Loved Hirose

Loved Kuzmenko

Loved Joshua

These are all EFFECTIVE moves that Benning could not for the life of him do, in any given year.

Questionable moves:

Hronek - RFA due for a raise, cost us a mid 1st and a 2nd while we were a nonplayoff team. All other nonplayoff teams have been selling. We have been BUYING.

Context: Detroit had three picks in the 1st round. We only had one. Despite the talent differences (with us being better), Detroit actually finished slightly worse than us, standing wise. They picked before us with the 9th overall, before getting to pick again with the Horvat pick.

We are on the wrong side of the rebuild. This management has failed to recognize that. It's not their only failure. Prior to this season, they had essentially guaranteed us to be a playoff team.

And during the Bedard chase, what does management do instead of selling or sitting pat? We tried to do everything we could to win games lol.

So far, this management has made a couple of good picks. Lekkerimaki, Pettersson (D) are pretty good. I really liked Pettersson. He's going to be a stud. Wallinder is also very good.

So, like I said, I have mixed feelings about this management. They have made good moves. They have also made shockingly poor judgement moves as well in their short tenure.

Then suggested they wanted to move up at the draft, only to stay put because presumably it was too expensive to do so. Would be funny if it weren't so stupid.

As for Hronek, I don't know why people keep emphasizing that he has 2 more years of cost control as if it's going to make his next contract appreciably cheaper. If we sign him to a deal of any appreciable length, we would be buying only 1 RFA year with the rest being UFA years. Allvin also brought up the 2 years of cost control when we traded for him. Unless I'm missing something, I find it quite disingenuous. He effectively has one year of being cost controlled, with his new deal coming into effect the same year the cap is expected to increase significantly.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

We could have not played Hughes close to 30 mins per game, we could have played Demko a few less games and we could have limited Pettersson's and Miller's minutes to below 20. Or we could have just chosen to do only 1 or 2 of those three things. But no, we deployed our players as if we were in a desperate playoff chase. There really was no reason we should have finished above all of Washington, Detroit, or STL.

Edited by dougieL
  • Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

yes slash their minutes.. Hughes doesn't need to play 27-29 mins a night in mean nothing games and demko prolly dont need to play 12/14 games in march.. if they win they win.. there's no need to overplay the top guys like we are chasing a playoff spot

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't actually. This is the problem with people here. They only remember the stuff I criticize about, not the stuff I praised.

Like Benning, this management has had good moves and bad moves.

Good moves:

Loved Hirose

Loved Kuzmenko

Loved Joshua

These are all EFFECTIVE moves that Benning could not for the life of him do, in any given year.

Questionable moves:

Hronek - RFA due for a raise, cost us a mid 1st and a 2nd while we were a nonplayoff team. All other nonplayoff teams have been selling. We have been BUYING.

Context: Detroit had three picks in the 1st round. We only had one. Despite the talent differences (with us being better), Detroit actually finished slightly worse than us, standing wise. They picked before us with the 9th overall, before getting to pick again with the Horvat pick.

We are on the wrong side of the rebuild. This management has failed to recognize that. It's not their only failure. Prior to this season, they had essentially guaranteed us to be a playoff team.

So far, this management has made a couple of good picks. Lekkerimaki, Pettersson (D) are pretty good. I really liked Pettersson. He's going to be a stud. Wallinder is also very good.

So, like I said, I have mixed feelings about this management. They have made good moves. They have also made shockingly poor judgement moves as well in their short tenure.

So when we reach playoffs next year you apologise to PA? Or?

• RoughGame 1

19 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This. This. This. 

Why not? Do you think the first round was a top 3 followed up 29 other players all of whom are equally desirable?

Just now, dougieL said:

Why not? Do you think the first round was a top 3 followed up 29 other players all of whom are equally desirable?

This was one of those drafts actually.

Tier 1:

Bedard

Tier 2:

Carlson, Fantilli, Michkov, Smith

Tier 3: Everybody from 6 to 20

We were never getting a top 5 pick. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This was one of those drafts actually.

Tier 1:

Bedard

Tier 2:

Carlson, Fantilli, Michkov, Smith

Tier 3: Everybody from 6 to 20

We were never getting a top 5 pick. 

Uh...where did you get the Tier 3 information?

And Michkov fell out of the top 5, which means that, according to you, pick #7 was a valuable pick (a far more valuable pick than #8, apparently).

• Cheers 1

On 6/30/2023 at 2:33 PM, coryberg said:

Who let you out of the OEL thread that you've been living in the past year?

Say what you want, but I wasn't the one ridiculing people for suggesting the idea of an OEL buyout (only for said buyout to happen 7 months later), nor was I the one accusing people of moving goalposts due to use of decimals.

Edited by dougieL

22 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So when we reach playoffs next year you apologise to PA? Or?

I'm not going to apologize for anything. He said last year that the team would be a playoff contender (or close to it). Erm?

Just now, Dazzle said:

I'm not going to apologize for anything. He said last year that the team would be a playoff contender (or close to it). Erm?

They couldn’t get rid of BB fast enough.

Do you remember the surprise for JR that BB had one year more.

• RoughGame 1