The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, dougieL said:

I wonder how long before Axel Sandin Pellikka + the 2023 second round pick + Hronek's cap space (whatever it turns out being) will be more desirable than Hronek the player.

:rolleyes: Clearly it couldn’t be soon enough, we’ll have to hear ^ this again and again for at least the next 2 years -_-

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, dougieL said:

I wonder how long before Axel Sandin Pellikka + the 2023 second round pick + Hronek's cap space (whatever it turns out being) will be more desirable than Hronek the player.

They are 2 completely different situations and can not be that easily compared. 

The Canucks are not rebuilding, they are competing for the playoffs. They also needed a young top 4 RHD more than anything.

The Red Wings are biding their time, still building and not in a compete now mode. Their picks won’t pan out for at minimum 2-3 years. They don’t have a Petey, Quinn, Dem or JT on their team. 

2 completely different situations. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

:rolleyes: Clearly it couldn’t be soon enough, we’ll have to hear ^ this again and again for at least the next 2 years -_-

Someone had to say it first, didn't they? :P

Edited by dougieL
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

They are 2 completely different situations and can not be that easily compared. 

The Canucks are not rebuilding, they are competing for the playoffs. They also needed a young top 4 RHD more than anything.

The Red Wings are biding their time, still building and not in a compete now mode. Their picks won’t pan out for at minimum 2-3 years. They don’t have a Petey, Quinn, Dem or JT on their team. 

2 completely different situations. 

Yes - obviously different situations, but I think the question still stands. Will there come a time when we wish we could undo the trade, and if so, when will that time come? I suspect it could come as soon as before ASP even makes the NHL, depending on what Hronek's next contract looks like.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Yes - obviously different situations, but I think the question still stands. Will there come a time when we wish we could undo the trade, and if so, when will that time come? I suspect it could come as soon as before ASP even makes the NHL, depending on what Hronek's next contract looks like.

Well don’t wonder now because the answer to your question will be 5 years from now. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

Probably never.  I don't think ASP is ever going to learn how to play defence well enough to not be a complete liability.  It's lucky that Detroit wasted the pick on useless trash.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Probably never.  I don't think ASP is ever going to learn how to play defence well enough to not be a complete liability.  It's lucky that Detroit wasted the pick on useless trash.

Fair enough. I was just using ASP as a proxy for the 17th. I think Oliver Moore would have been available at 17 as well.

2 hours ago, dougieL said:

Who let you out of the OEL thread that you've been living in the past year?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, dougieL said:

The trade was not a steal. Hronek was an expensive pickup which costed us some money and two decently high picks in a deep draft.

Hronek hasn't shown enough so far to really say if this trade was a bad one or not.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Canucks: make trade

Canucks fans (16 years later): well let me tell you about how this trade 16 years ago effected our marriage and why we’re getting divorced next week. 

Loui Eriksson is part of my identity 

so I understand this 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Canucks: make trade

Canucks fans (16 years later): well let me tell you about how this trade 16 years ago effected our marriage and why we’re getting divorced next week. 

You have to admit though, it is fun to play the game of "am I smarter than an NHL GM."

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The trade was not a steal. Hronek was an expensive pickup which costed us some money and two decently high picks in a deep draft.

Hronek hasn't shown enough so far to really say if this trade was a bad one or not.

You want this management group to fail so bad :lol:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You want this management group to fail so bad :lol:

I don't actually. This is the problem with people here. They only remember the stuff I criticize about, not the stuff I praised.

Like Benning, this management has had good moves and bad moves.

Good moves:

Loved Hirose

Loved Kuzmenko

Loved Joshua

These are all EFFECTIVE moves that Benning could not for the life of him do, in any given year.

Questionable moves:

Hronek - RFA due for a raise, cost us a mid 1st and a 2nd while we were a nonplayoff team. All other nonplayoff teams have been selling. We have been BUYING.

Context: Detroit had three picks in the 1st round. We only had one. Despite the talent differences (with us being better), Detroit actually finished slightly worse than us, standing wise. They picked before us with the 9th overall, before getting to pick again with the Horvat pick.

We are on the wrong side of the rebuild. This management has failed to recognize that. It's not their only failure. Prior to this season, they had essentially guaranteed us to be a playoff team.

And during the Bedard chase, what does management do instead of selling or sitting pat? We tried to do everything we could to win games lol.

So far, this management has made a couple of good picks. Lekkerimaki, Pettersson (D) are pretty good. I really liked Pettersson. He's going to be a stud. Wallinder is also very good.

So, like I said, I have mixed feelings about this management. They have made good moves. They have also made shockingly poor judgement moves as well in their short tenure.