The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

8 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Looks like the Islanders' 1st is trending towards the 17-19 range. May be a disappointing result for those hoping it would roll over and become unprotected next year.

Those red wings fans :P

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Simashev is a russian born 6'4 smooth skating defensive defenseman with a good outlet pass... but LHD.

Bonk is Radek Bonks son (former 3rd overall who played for Ottawa and Montreal). He's a Canadian kid, 6'1 RHD 2 way dman playing for the London Knights.

Both players are mainly known for their defensive accumen, I find that to be a total bonus. They could each become Quinn and Hroneks partners in a few years time, would fill a few big voids with cheap ELC's.

I'd be more inclined to draft Oliver Bonk then, especially if he's a righty. Your right, he could very well slot into being Quinn's partner. Where is Bonk projected to go? First rounder? or second? Cause if it's the second, we don't have one this year right? didn't it go to Detroit for Hronek? 

53 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd be more inclined to draft Oliver Bonk then, especially if he's a righty. Your right, he could very well slot into being Quinn's partner. Where is Bonk projected to go? First rounder? or second? Cause if it's the second, we don't have one this year right? didn't it go to Detroit for Hronek? 

Bonk is ranked by most to go near the end of the 1st round. I was looking at him if we decided to move down and collect extra picks. All depends who is on the board when our pick comes up.

56 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Bonk is ranked by most to go near the end of the 1st round. I was looking at him if we decided to move down and collect extra picks. All depends who is on the board when our pick comes up.

Interesting. I'd be down to making a pick to drafting him if we could get an extra pick. Tough to give up that first rounder, though, going to be a good player there. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 10:47 PM, N4ZZY said:

Low first for Bonk

4 hours ago, Makaramel MacKhiato said:

I'll admit... this trade terrified me at first (thought the Islander's pick could be a top 5 next year... especially with Barzal out)

I am RELIEVED that the Isles made the playoffs... it makes this trade SO much better! Now to cheer for them to make it to the 3rd round :bigblush:

Do you get terrified easily ?

This is a win-win trade for the Canucks, a good gamble and they won the gamble and it's a mid-first round pick with potential to be a 29th first round pick if they make to the Eastern Conference Final.  If Hronek bounces back and have an injury free season, it will be a huge win and could decide on what to do with him if next contract becomes too expensive and can flip for much better return than Detroit or have him with us for a long haul.  It all depends on his next contract.

I love how this trade instantly made us go from cheering against the Isles to cheering for them. Often when a team trades their captain, fans will cheer for that team to see the player succeed, and while we are cheering for the Isles, I sure doubt its out of support for Horvat. 

I have to admit though, its weird because I liked him. We made the right move 100% trading him as he was over rated and not worth the contract nor the return we got, but he was a good person and it is weird to cheer against him personally like I do. I can recognize its strictly out of wanting the move to be proven as the right move, but it still sits weird. I hope he can be a consistent 30 goal 50 point guy, but NO more lol.

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

I love how this trade instantly made us go from cheering against the Isles to cheering for them. Often when a team trades their captain, fans will cheer for that team to see the player succeed, and while we are cheering for the Isles, I sure doubt its out of support for Horvat. 

I have to admit though, its weird because I liked him. We made the right move 100% trading him as he was over rated and not worth the contract nor the return we got, but he was a good person and it is weird to cheer against him personally like I do. I can recognize its strictly out of wanting the move to be proven as the right move, but it still sits weird. I hope he can be a consistent 30 goal 50 point guy, but NO more lol.

I dunno why people pick watch after we trade it. It literally doesn't effect us. I don't really care where it lands, who they take, and how they develop. Cause there are no guarantees we would have done the same thing or had the same success with that pick they do. And vice versa. All that matters to me is what we do with the 4th rounder we got and how Hronek fits with us. The trade doesn't get bad for us if that 1st rounder pans out. It gets bad for us if Hronek doesn't pan out.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I dunno why people pick watch after we trade it. It literally doesn't effect us. I don't really care where it lands, who they take, and how they develop. Cause there are no guarantees we would have done the same thing or had the same success with that pick they do. And vice versa. All that matters to me is what we do with the 4th rounder we got and how Hronek fits with us. The trade doesn't get bad for us if that 1st rounder pans out. It gets bad for us if Hronek doesn't pan out.

I don't prospect watch after they take a pick for the reasons you said, but I do think the trade looks MUCH different if the pick was a 12 this year vs 26 this year. That is a HUGE value gap, heck if it became a top 5 next year. You think the Sens trade with Colorado hurt more after the pick became a 4th overall opposed to if it was a mid-late first. I don't view that one as Byram vs ?, but 4th overall vs ?. The Sens don't make that trade if they know its a 4th overall.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

like the whole Rasmus Andersson thing, yeah it sucks a bit the Flames got a good player with our pick but what if we kept it and drafted Graham Knott, Julius Nattinen or Jeremy Bracco? Pick watching and dwelling after a trade is pointless because no one knows who we had at that those spots, and drafting in hindsight is equally pointless.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, coolboarder said:

This is a win-win trade for the Canucks, a good gamble and they won the gamble and it's a mid-first round pick with potential to be a 29th first round pick if they make to the Eastern Conference Final.  If Hronek bounces back and have an injury free season, it will be a huge win and could decide on what to do with him if next contract becomes too expensive and can flip for much better return than Detroit or have him with us for a long haul.  It all depends on his next contract.

Wonder if the Canucks can get a younger RHD for Hronek if they decide to trade him. 

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

like the whole Rasmus Andersson thing, yeah it sucks a bit the Flames got a good player with our pick but what if we kept it and drafted Graham Knott, Julius Nattinen or Jeremy Bracco? Pick watching and dwelling after a trade is pointless because no one knows who we had at that those spots, and drafting in hindsight is equally pointless.

Yip, it's the Canucks. Absolutely we would of passed on Rasmus. This franchise fails miserably at drafting and developing D. It's the main reason we have no cup, imho

• Cheers 1

On 4/13/2023 at 4:53 AM, Makaramel MacKhiato said:

I'll admit... this trade terrified me at first (thought the Islander's pick could be a top 5 next year... especially with Barzal out)

I am RELIEVED that the Isles made the playoffs... it makes this trade SO much better! Now to cheer for them to make it to the 3rd round :bigblush:

If it's a good draft you will still get a very good player late in the 1st round. Look at where Patrrnak landed 

13 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Spot on... nobody knows for sure, how they'll pan out.

If they knew, we would have drafted Pastrnak instead of JV.... hindsight is a great thing. 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on... nobody knows for sure, how they'll pan out.

If they knew, we would have drafted Pastrnak instead of JV.... hindsight is a great thing. 

We actually picked Jared McCann one pick ahead of David Pastrnak. McCann did pot 40 goals this year though I guess. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, .Naslund said:

We actually picked Jared McCann one pick ahead of David Pastrnak. McCann did pot 40 goals this year though I guess. 

In a redraft Pastrnak goes top 3-4...

But McCann wasn't a bad pick neither (rumours of entitlement aside)... He actually started to slowly produce fairly quickly, but was still traded 3 times, for whatever reason. 

Too bad we didn't trade Jake instead Jared to Florida for Guddy.... It would have made the trade less painful...

• Like 2