The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

With a 2 games limited sample I actually think he is a better long bomb passer than Hughes. His footwork is not as dynamic. We haven’t seen him shoot that much yet. His positioning is so far excellent. If he puts on 20 more pounds he would be much stronger but might be slower on his feet.

Edited by Maddogy

Playing mistake-free hockey. He's sound positionally and patient with the puck. Yes, only two games but I like the player and what he's done defensively.

Offensively, I think he has yet to show us what he is capable of but that will come with time as he gets more comfortable with the system and learns the tendencies of his teammates.

Good trade for us. Allvin may have thought that the Islanders were bound to make the playoffs and sold off the pick when it had the highest value.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, jyu said:

Playing mistake-free hockey. He's sound positionally and patient with the puck. Yes, only two games but I like the player and what he's done defensively.

Offensively, I think he has yet to show us what he is capable of but that will come with time as he gets more comfortable with the system and learns the tendencies of his teammates.

Good trade for us. Allvin may have thought that the Islanders were bound to make the playoffs and sold off the pick when it had the highest value.

Yes, good points.

I believe he will get even better too, including defensively (which he's underrated for IMO).

I was thrilled when news broke that we acquired him.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

With a 2 games limited sample I actually think he is a better long bomb passer than Hughes. His footwork is not as dynamic. We haven’t seen him shoot that much yet. His positioning is so far excellent. If he puts on 20 more pounds he would be much stronger but might be slower on his feet.

I wish he'd shoot......he's got a bomb from the point.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, jyu said:

It’s quite clear that many good deals even bargain deals are only presented and executed among specific GM’s and teams. We have seen several unbelievable bargains trades last few years and wondered why didn’t other teams match and exceed what was offered. For instance Devon Toews and Jakob Chychrun.

18 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

It’s quite clear that many good deals even bargain deals are only presented and executed among specific GM’s and teams. We have seen several unbelievable bargains trades last few years and wondered why didn’t other teams match and exceed what was offered. For instance Devon Toews and Jakob Chychrun.

Chychrun I think the Yotes just painted themselves into a corner where they sort of had to make a deal at that point.

Devon Toewes, I have no idea... Lou must be losing it.

3 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I’m guessing he had another good game tonight? I missed the game (had to work) but have absolutely loved his play in his first two games. 

I'm gonna slightly disagree with the above poster. I think this was his worst game so far. Not terrible or anything, but I saw him whif on a couple plays here and there. Not worried or anything, but considering he's been out for a long time and this was his first double header in a long time, maybe fatigue set in a bit. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, coryberg said:

I highly doubt that the team that traded for Hronek instead of us would be willing to trade him away so quickly. You would have to be living in Australia (:P) to believe that Hronek wouldn't have garnered major interest once Yzerman put the word out that he is available. 

Even for a contender who looked at him as a pure rental 1.3 seasons/2 playoffs at a cap hit of 4.4 for an all situations 22+ minute 40 points RHD is worth a 1st and 2nd all day. The fact that he is an RFA is the cherry on top.

The question i have for you is what would be the benefit of waiting until the draft instead? Wouldn't you rather have him get acclimated with the team and systems, get his bearings in the city ready to hit the ground running next season?

The only problem I can see with acquiring him now is that we don't want to win games. Unfortunately the team turned the ship around without him and the tank is over with or without Hronek.

I still think the Canucks will get a decent prospect from where they’re going to be picking. Reinbacher probably goes top 10. But this is supposed to be a deep draft right? So that means we’ll get a pretty good young player if the Canucks scouting department doesn’t screw up with their first selection. 

22 hours ago, jyu said:

Chychrun I think the Yotes just painted themselves into a corner where they sort of had to make a deal at that point.

Devon Toewes, I have no idea... Lou must be losing it.

Yeah. So waiting too long ain’t a good thing either. Gotta make a deal when there’s a deal to be made. Ottawa took advantage of Arizona’s stupidity with the way they handled Chychrun. The Sens got him for relatively cheap. 

• There it is 1

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm gonna slightly disagree with the above poster. I think this was his worst game so far. Not terrible or anything, but I saw him whif on a couple plays here and there. Not worried or anything, but considering he's been out for a long time and this was his first double header in a long time, maybe fatigue set in a bit. 

Yeah we haven't seen what he is capable of in the offensive zone but he has been steady on our back end. I don't get nervous that he'll take the wrong angle or make a bad pinch leading to an odd man rush etc. His primary role (defense) that the team was severely lacking (Esp on the RD side) has been a breath of fresh air. He also makes very good hard crisp passes to exit the zone. Im glad we have him. One less thing to worry about on defense. The offense will come. I'd rather be focuses on bringing stability to our blue line. 

On 3/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, coryberg said:

I highly doubt that the team that traded for Hronek instead of us would be willing to trade him away so quickly. You would have to be living in Australia (:P) to believe that Hronek wouldn't have garnered major interest once Yzerman put the word out that he is available. 

Even for a contender who looked at him as a pure rental 1.3 seasons/2 playoffs at a cap hit of 4.4 for an all situations 22+ minute 40 points RHD is worth a 1st and 2nd all day. The fact that he is an RFA is the cherry on top.

The question i have for you is what would be the benefit of waiting until the draft instead? Wouldn't you rather have him get acclimated with the team and systems, get his bearings in the city ready to hit the ground running next season?

The only problem I can see with acquiring him now is that we don't want to win games. Unfortunately the team turned the ship around without him and the tank is over with or without Hronek.

Good point. The tank ended when Demko came back and the boys starting understanding how RT wanted them to play

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2023 at 9:57 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Gavrikov is going to get a lot of playoff experience before he joins us in the summer. So he should be ready to go and play high end hockey with Hronek right out of the gate next season. 

In Milstein we trust. 

If the Nucks win a cup, does he get a ring? He should... :lol:

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I still think the Canucks will get a decent prospect from where they’re going to be picking. Reinbacher probably goes top 10. But this is supposed to be a deep draft right? So that means we’ll get a pretty good young player if the Canucks scouting department doesn’t screw up with their first selection. 

If I'd say our most likely spot at the draft will be #13. There will most definitely be some very good players on the board at that point.

I'd be interested in checking with St Louis to see if we could trade our pick for the leafs and stars picks (24-27). Maybe snag a few D later in the round (simashev and bonk would make an all name pairing)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

If I'd say our most likely spot at the draft will be #13. There will most definitely be some very good players on the board at that point.

I'd be interested in checking with St Louis to see if we could trade our pick for the leafs and stars picks (24-27). Maybe snag a few D later in the round (simashev and bonk would make an all name pairing)

I'm not familiar with the names you mentioned (Simashev and Bonk), but any RD prospects, I'm game for. But I also think as every year, some team is going to go off the board with their pick, and a good player is going to fall down. This always happens every draft it seems. So I wouldn't be surprised if it happened this year as well. 

We need quality picks. I'm not confident in our amateur scouting....yet under Allvin and Rutherford. Is it better under them than it was under Benning? 

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Good point. The tank ended when Demko came back and the boys starting understanding how RT wanted them to play

Yeah. Demmers is the key there, I think. We've had so many coaches come and go, that I don't think systems was the reason for the success. 

Demko's the neutralizer here. Without him, the goaltending was shit (sorry). With him, the team probably would've had a chance at a playoff spot had Demmers played the way he has since the start of the year (but we all know that he struggled early on as well). 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not familiar with the names you mentioned (Simashev and Bonk), but any RD prospects, I'm game for. But I also think as every year, some team is going to go off the board with their pick, and a good player is going to fall down. This always happens every draft it seems. So I wouldn't be surprised if it happened this year as well. 

We need quality picks. I'm not confident in our amateur scouting....yet under Allvin and Rutherford. Is it better under them than it was under Benning? 

Simashev is a russian born 6'4 smooth skating defensive defenseman with a good outlet pass... but LHD.

Bonk is Radek Bonks son (former 3rd overall who played for Ottawa and Montreal). He's a Canadian kid, 6'1 RHD 2 way dman playing for the London Knights.

Both players are mainly known for their defensive accumen, I find that to be a total bonus. They could each become Quinn and Hroneks partners in a few years time, would fill a few big voids with cheap ELC's.

• Cheers 1