The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Drance some crow

Rate this topic

Timråfan

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

That we reach playofff.

He said: ”There’s a non-zero chance that happens, of course.”

"Nonzero chance" means that he thinks it is possible. If you heard him on the Vancast a couple of days ago, he was actually fairly optimistic about our playoff chances next season.

Edited by dougieL
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, dougieL said:

"Nonzero chance" means that he thinks it is possible. If you heard him on the Vancast a couple of days ago, he was actually fairly optimistic about our playoff chances next season.

Possible but not very likely. 

He might be a bit more optimistic reading the sane posters on this forum.

The ones who don't equal Benning with PA, A LHD with a RHD and so on. 

15 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Drance is so annoying (he really is) that I think a lot of people don't comprehend what he's saying.  Even saying something like "non-zero" lol.  What a pretentious way to say it. People go in with their minds already made up.  It's quite a funny dynamic to listen to.  Drance gets derailed by people angrily texting in when they clearly have no clue what he's even talking about.  In those situations both Drance and the listener deserve each other.  Drance brings the rage upon himself but the listener could chill and try listening without an agenda.

Funny!  (to me at least)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

Drance is so annoying (he really is) that I think a lot of people don't comprehend what he's saying.  Even saying something like "non-zero" lol.  What a pretentious way to say it. People go in with their minds already made up.  It's quite a funny dynamic to listen to.  Drance gets derailed by people angrily texting in when they clearly have no clue what he's even talking about.  In those situations both Drance and the listener deserve each other.  Drance brings the rage upon himself but the listener could chill and try listening without an agenda.

Funny!  (to me at least)

You mean Drance and swedes? :bigblush:

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

I'm not sure I follow you.  Drance and Swedes deserve each other? You can have him if you want him!  We'll happily ship him off the continent!

I might have misunderstood you but I comprehended Drance saying that there are non, zero chance they will reach playoffs. 
Now I know nonzero means ”not likely, but there is a small chance” to reach playoffs.

Just enough to let Drance eat crow anyway. 

So I as a swede didn’t comprehend him hence my post to you. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I might have misunderstood you but I comprehended Drance saying that there are non, zero chance they will reach playoffs. 
Now I know nonzero means ”not likely, but there is a small chance” to reach playoffs.

Just enough to let Drance eat crow anyway. 

So I as a swede didn’t comprehend him hence my post to you. 

Ah gotcha!  

No!  "Non-Zero" is pretentious.  It's his fault for speaking that way.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Funny!  (to me at least)

Or we could just not watch him, listen to him, quote him on here, etc.

It would be fine by me.

8 hours ago, RomanP said:

Sure, let’s change the topic when the initial premise was proven wrong. That’s exactly what Drance would do lol.

Its perpetually entertaining to hear Drance give his two cents on some guest spot, or in an article. And a poster here writing and saying pretty well the exact same criticisms of the team.  And in the next post the same poster blasts Drance as an idiot. 

At the start of the season Drance said "the club" wasn't good enough. But they will inevitably have an 8 game winning streak. Then mid season he said the same thing. 

The objective way to cover it is to say that the Canucks were the biggest under achievers this year. We have pieces that most other bottom dwellers dont

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Or we could just not watch him, listen to him, quote him on here, etc.

It would be fine by me.

Winning the cup next year would be fine by me!

Best of luck to us both lol. 

I think I might have better odds than you though.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

At the start of the season Drance said "the club" wasn't good enough. But they will inevitably have an 8 game winning streak. Then mid season he said the same thing. 

The objective way to cover it is to say that the Canucks were the biggest under achievers this year. We have pieces that most other bottom dwellers dont

he was also predicting Canucks would start winning more games after Jan due to the return of Demko, a lighter schedule, and Canucks' tendency to start playing well once they are out of the playoffs. He's been right so far on this  

We know Drance isn't objective and can get a bit ballistic but generally speaking he's been spot on with regards on this core

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

he was also predicting Canucks would start winning more games after Jan due to the return of Demko, a lighter schedule, and Canucks' tendency to start playing well once they are out of the playoffs. He's been right so far on this  

We know Drance isn't objective and can get a bit ballistic but generally speaking he's been spot on with regards on this core

Was it any of his predictions that was hard to guess?

If we have a great offensive power and get Demko back.

Doesn’t that align better than that the Canucks play better when they are out of playoffs? 
Thos two happened at nearly the same time. Also that Silovs showed himself to be a good goalie.

Spreading the bs about Canucks playing better when out of playoffs is more aligned with astrology and isn’t particulary good loocking for a journalist.

No brainer a lot of fans spread the same bs over and over again instead of using their own brain.

• There it is 1

Drance said yesterday that if this team can play like they did against Toronto for, say, 50 games a season, he would change his tune about this team. The problem is that we've only seen it a handful of times in the last few years.

Tocc has these guys playing much better lately, but I'm with Drance: show me you can learn to play the right away, and then show me you can sustain it for the length of a season. That's what it'll take to really get excited about this group of guys. It's fun watching the process so far, tho.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Drance said yesterday that if this team can play like they did against Toronto for, say, 50 games a season, he would change his tune about this team. The problem is that we've only seen it a handful of times in the last few years.

Tocc has these guys playing much better lately, but I'm with Drance: show me you can learn to play the right away, and then show me you can sustain it for the length of a season. That's what it'll take to really get excited about this group of guys. It's fun watching the process so far, tho.

The last thing I would care about is what Drance thinks. The guy is an over excited fool that has constant tantrums akin to a 6 year old.

Drance has a narrative to be negative all the time. His takes get old and offer nothing good. Yes, we get that he wants a rebuild. It’s not happening, has never happened with previous management/ownership and will never happen with this management/ownership. Like it or not get over it.

I never hear him talk about any of the good things like;

- Hughes’ and Petey’s spectacular seasons

- Demko & Miller coming back to last years form

- RT, Gonch and Foote’s excellent coaching for improved defensive “structure” / results 

- Pods improved play

Etc…

When I hear him on the radio, I feel like punching the guy in the face. 

34 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The last thing I would care about is what Drance thinks. The guy is an over excited fool that has constant tantrums akin to a 6 year old.

Drance has a narrative to be negative all the time. His takes get old and offer nothing good. Yes, we get that he wants a rebuild. It’s not happening, has never happened with previous management/ownership and will never happen with this management/ownership. Like it or not get over it.

I never hear him talk about any of the good things like;

- Hughes’ and Petey’s spectacular seasons

- Demko & Miller coming back to last years form

- RT, Gonch and Foote’s excellent coaching for improved defensive “structure” / results 

- Pods improved play

Etc…

When I hear him on the radio, I feel like punching the guy in the face. 

Drance frequently talks about how unreal Petey and Hughes are, which is a large part of why he's so upset about the team. He believes this franchise is wasting the prime years of the best defensemen, and one of the best forwards this franchise has ever had. He says it all the time.

He also frequently talks about how good Demko is, and that's why he has never waivers in his opinion of us cleaning up in the last 20 games of the season and messing with the draft.

This is part of the reason I find the Drance hate so entertaining here. His schtick is to be annoying but say the hard truths. People tend to get so upset when he's involved because they "feel like punching the guy in the face" that they don't listen but still feel the need to complain. Even with this post half the example of things you mentioned you never hear him talk about, are actually frequent talking points on the radio.

• Cheers 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:58 AM, Timråfan said:

That we reach playofff.

He said: ”There’s a non-zero chance that happens, of course.”

What if we don't reach the playoffs? Will you be the one eating crow? I'd say the majority of this fanbase, myself included, believed this team was a playoff team this year. Instead, we're bottom 6 in the entire league hanging out with the teams that are actively trying to lose. Clearly it's not that simple for this team to have a successful season. 

Next year we'd still be one decent injury to Demko, Petey, or Hughes away from another bottom 10 finish if this team doesn't improve substantially over the offseason.

15 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance frequently talks about how unreal Petey and Hughes are, which is a large part of why he's so upset about the team. He believes this franchise is wasting the prime years of the best defensemen, and one of the best forwards this franchise has ever had. He says it all the time.

He also frequently talks about how good Demko is, and that's why he has never waivers in his opinion of us cleaning up in the last 20 games of the season and messing with the draft.

This is part of the reason I find the Drance hate so entertaining here. His schtick is to be annoying but say the hard truths. People tend to get so upset when he's involved because they "feel like punching the guy in the face" that they don't listen but still feel the need to complain. Even with this post half the example of things you mentioned you never hear him talk about, are actually frequent talking points on the radio.

But he's soooo negatiiiiive :rolleyes:

• Like 1