The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023 | 7:30 pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

Put that group in a better defensive system than they were in and then see

They played under Tocchett and looked worse than ever.

Tocchett hockey requires players who keep it simple and work hard. Neither of those players have shown they’re capable of doing that.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

And soon Hronek will join the teams push to get down to at least the 11th spot in the draft.

JR/PA just HAD to find a decent RHD now instead of the Summer. 

Exactly. Love the player, hate the timing. Would have been wiser as well to assess the situation once we know the ranking of both our first and NYI's first too. We could have planned things much better. For example, if Demko lifted us up to a 15th OA pick and the NYIs sit around the same (16-18) then I'd be fine trading the first. Heck we could even trade it on draft day depending on who picks who. If our pick is top 10 and the NYI pick is in the 13-14th OA range then we could be walking away with the top defenceman of this draft...

Regardless, there was no need to make this desperation trade now, and if just sullies our first rounder. Allvin did the same with the Miller re-signing over Bo with a year left of JT's contract, signed him right after a contract year which must be one of the first lessons in what not to do, and then trades Bo weeks before the TDL whereas if he squeezed teams he could have gotten more for sure (especially considering the fact that NYI injured their top forward so would have been more desperate, and the haul that guys like Jeannot got). Decent enough trades, dreadful timing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly. Love the player, hate the timing. Would have been wiser as well to assess the situation once we know the ranking of both our first and NYI's first too. We could have planned things much better. For example, if Demko lifted us up to a 15th OA pick and the NYIs sit around the same (16-18) then I'd be fine trading the first. Heck we could even trade it on draft day depending on who picks who. If our pick is top 10 and the NYI pick is in the 13-14th OA range then we could be walking away with the top defenceman of this draft...

Regardless, there was no need to make this desperation trade now, and if just sullies our first rounder. Allvin did the same with the Miller re-signing over Bo with a year left of JT's contract, signed him right after a contract year which must be one of the first lessons in what not to do, and then trades Bo weeks before the TDL whereas if he squeezed teams he could have gotten more for sure (especially considering the fact that NYI injured their top forward so would have been more desperate, and the haul that guys like Jeannot got). Decent enough trades, dreadful timing.

Talk about melt down on this forum when PA trade away the 1st a second time. ::D

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Talk about melt down on this forum when PA trade away the 1st a second time. ::D

Based on their moves so far I’m fully expecting them to trade away our first if it’s in the 8-11 range.

This ownership is all about instant gratification. Same reason we traded our 9th overall pick.

They’re not waiting 4 or 5 years for that pick to pan out. They clearly think we’re already in our window. I really hope they’re right but it’s hard to not feel like it’s more of the same.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, I mean people can bitch at what they want but if you're someone who wanted them to find a qualified RD, they did. It's not like they could have just went to the real good RD store in the summer time. 

Exactly. Pretty sure they tried to get one last summer. Didn’t work out too well

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With No guarantee of landing gulyayev at around 18 oa they’re left with not picking positional needs. Might have factored into the trade. Who knows ?

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, I mean people can bitch at what they want but if you're someone who wanted them to find a qualified RD, they did. It's not like they could have just went to the real good RD store in the summer time. 

You can call it b!tching but people have valid concerns that the timing and the price were bad.

Maybe it turns out we got a steal and he continues to develop into a legit top pairing 60+ point D man here. At that point nobody would be complaining.

But there is also the possibility we bought when his value was at its highest and he reverts back to something much worse.

Neither side is right or wrong right now and it’s fair game to discuss it. I don’t think people are complaining just to complain here. Those were very valuable pieces that were given up which is not a good look for a team that has a below average prospect pool. Time will tell though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

You can call it b!tching but people have valid concerns that the timing and the price were bad.

Maybe it turns out we got a steal and he continues to develop into a legit top pairing 60+ point D man here. At that point nobody would be complaining.

But there is also the possibility we bought when his value was at its highest and he reverts back to something much worse.

Neither side is right or wrong right now and it’s fair game to discuss it. I don’t think people are complaining just to complain here. Those were very valuable pieces that were given up which is not a good look for a team that has a below average prospect pool. Time will tell though.

Yeah but the point is you don't have like 5-10 top RD you can choose from whenever you want. Regardless of whether or not the timing was good for us that deal or one like it simply may  not have been available. Risk on both sides but like I said if one's preference was to obtain a RD that's the risk that management felt they had to take to get one. They probably know better what and when players were/are available.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, kilgore said:

And soon Hronek will join the teams push to get down to at least the 11th spot in the draft.

JR/PA just HAD to find a decent RHD now instead of the Summer. 

Detroit is 10 points ahead of us with 20 games left, I really can't see us catching them.  I think the highest that we can climb would be to the 9 spot before the lottery.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

F5BD0895-A05D-42BD-99B1-B7FF2D164377.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Another thing different from the previous regime.  Perhaps JR/PA rush moves, but at least they don't "run out of time" like JB. And lose a player they want to keep or to trade for.   I too am a little leary of making these kinds of cap absorbing decisions now. When there traditionally will be more choices opening up in the Summer.

But on the other hand, maybe that is the way to do it.  Be more opportunistic. The deal for Hronek came up now.  Perhaps later more teams would be in on the bidding. Or he'd not be available anymore. I sounds like it was a proactive inquiry. I like to hear that.

I'm the wrong person to talk to about Miller, as I liked the re-signing. I guess we will have to wait until it plays out next season if both the Hronek acquisition and Miller playing with his new big contract, will pan out.  But you have to admire at least management  not sitting on their hands when they see an opportunity like Hronek.  Or even Miller, it seems like when Miller's camp seemed willing to accept a fair deal, they jumped on it.  Because deep down they put  Miller > Bo.   And frankly I agreed with that too.  Even just that we need a culture change and Bo being the Captain, his leaving would trigger the most towards that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Detroit is 10 points ahead of us with 20 games left, I really can't see us catching them.  I think the highest that we can climb would be to the 9 spot before the lottery.

Yup, keeping Larkin I think keeps them well ahead of us. They're still pretty good. There is a small chance 2 longshots jump ahead of us in that scenario and we finish 11. I think we'll end up picking at 8.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah but the point is you don't have like 5-10 top RD you can choose from whenever you want. Regardless of whether or not the timing was good for us that deal or one like it simply may  not have been available. Risk on both sides but like I said if one's preference was to obtain a RD that's the risk that management felt they had to take to get one. They probably know better what and when players were/are available.

I mean that would be why people wanted to keep those picks and develop our own.

Making desperation trades because you failed to address the need sooner may turn out poorly too. And even if you like the player there’s an argument to be made that the deadline was not the place to do it.

I would be surprised if other RHD couldn’t be had with those pieces. We saw two traded last summer in Marino and a potential top 4 in Lundqvist (who has played top 4 at times) for less.

But hey if Hronek is a fit here and we can get him signed to a reasonable contract I’ll be more than happy with the price. The risk is higher than I would have liked to see us take personally though.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1