The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Tell an elite athlete to tank for a pick, then tell me how sore your jaw is. 

The athletes are not making the decisions on how many shift the best players are putting in or which goalie starts.

Tocchet has the decision there.

The athletes are not making the decision on who sits and who is brought up from Abby.

Management does that.

Playing Hughes 30 minutes a game when he is getting banged up every game and starting Demko 4 of 5 when he doesn't have his game legs yet is not Hughes and Demko's decision... it is Tocchets.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

For every EP40 there is a Cody Glass.

I would argue that most GMs would prefer a 5th overall pick vs 10th overall pick.  Wouldn’t you agree???

Its kind of Deja Vu for me.  2017, why don't we Tank for Hishier/Patrick,  2018 Canucks blow their chance at Dahlin by not tanking.  On and On it goes.  Like this every year we are out of it early.  Will never change.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Vancouver has the 3rd easiest remaining schedule and don’t have any significant injuries.  It’s pretty likely they leapfrog Philly and St Louis in the standings. 

Don't lose another game in the Reg season. Wahoo!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Absolutely! I think Moore would be a great 2C playing behind Petey. The first half of round one is absolutely stacked! That’s why I’m really not all that concerned with Canucks playing well, because even if we end up picking 11th for example, chances are very good that at least a few of the handful of players that I’m personally very excited about will be available… Moore, Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Barlow, Leonard, etc. 

Agreed! I’d be ecstatic if we end up with Moore. I think anyone in the lottery picks would do wonders to our top 6 forward group or top 4 dmen. There’s a lot of talent. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

As a longtime Canucks fan I’m going to have to disagree with you there. 

1E6A11E2-7D1E-416B-847D-2E3EE43B4FB5.gif

I believe some of us are long time patients 

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-vint

We're jubilant when we win, and yet miserable when we lose. Most importantly we all agree we want that damn cup already 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Its kind of Deja Vu for me.  2017, why don't we Tank for Hishier/Patrick,  2018 Canucks blow their chance at Dahlin by not tanking.  On and On it goes.  Like this every year we are out of it early.  Will never change.  

Didn’t we get Hughes in that Dahlin draft? Hughes is better. And by a lot. 

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, coho8888 said:

Getting so ticked off because we lose a few % points in the bedard raffle seems mind boggling to me.  

Totally. When we were in sixth place, our odds  of winning the lottery were only 7.5%. If we end up finishing in ninth place then our odds are 5%. That’s really not all that much of a difference. 

PS I think we will likely be in 9th place, because even if we continue to play well I don’t see us passing the Red Wings or Capitals. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

As a longtime Canucks fan I’m going to have to disagree with you there. 

1E6A11E2-7D1E-416B-847D-2E3EE43B4FB5.gif

You know what I mean, hopefully. To paraphrase Justin Fields, fans “don’t put in the work.” Sure, we have the power to withhold our money, but, realistically, that won’t happen in the Vancouver market. Full disclosure: although I’ve rocked with the Canucks since the early ‘90’s, I’m actually down the road in Seattle, and haven’t been to a Canuck home game since 2009.
Whilst I’m still not convinced Vancouver is at the level of Montreal or Toronto as a Canadian market, fans are still incredibly passionate for the home side, and a boycott or something similar in an effort to “send a message” or whatever, as was alluded to a few pages ago, is not going to happen. Whomever decides to give up their season tickets because the team obviously isn’t tanking, the way this team really does seem to be putting pieces together for an eventual upward trajectory, there will be someone else ready to take them. 
But, back to “suffering”. Ours is purely emotional, and in no way comparable to what those actually employed by the organization feel. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Obviously, now how do you guarantee we get there. Considering elite athletes and coaches don’t tank. 

Obviously any pro athletes and coaches don’t tank.

As I mentioned in the GDT.  Happy they won but sad that their draft position got worse.  So a bit of mixed bag of emotions.

You are trying to deny the logic of some of the fans wanting a better draft position for the momentary happiness of a win.  But with the keeping of Miller, the possible return to form of Demko, and a supposedly easy schedule; the Canucks are likely to string together a few more wins.

It is what it is.

As for getting there (ie, tanking)…shutting down Demko to ensure he doesn’t have a relapse, try different line combos, play prospects more to see what they are capable of, and bring back tank commanders OEL back asap.  :P

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The athletes are not making the decisions on how many shift the best players are putting in or which goalie starts.

Tocchet has the decision there.

The athletes are not making the decision on who sits and who is brought up from Abby.

Management does that.

Playing Hughes 30 minutes a game when he is getting banged up every game and starting Demko 4 of 5 when he doesn't have his game legs yet is not Hughes and Demko's decision... it is Tocchets.

Tocchet also an elite athlete in his time. These guys aren’t built that way, whether you like it or not. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Didn’t we get Hughes in that Dahlin draft? Hughes is better. And by a lot. 

Yep.  Thats what I am getting at.  Same complaints every lottery year for us.  Yet we happen to get the best players out of those drafts.  If the lottery gods smile upon us and we get Bedard then great but we will should get a solid player where we end up picking.

6 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Whether we win the draft lottery or not, I just want to see what a full year under Tocchet will bring. You can't measure what happens between now and end of season because next year we could have a different looking team. 

I agree.

I just want every “bullet in the chamber” we can get.

I really believe one of the top 5-6 players in this draft can change the trajectory of this team. Add another Pettersson and Hughes level player to this group and we could be right there with the top teams.

If we’re drafting 9-12 I’m not convinced we won’t see more of the same. Short stints of “success” followed by retools. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I agree.

I just want every “bullet in the chamber” we can get.

I really believe one of the top 5-6 players in this draft can change the trajectory of this team. Add another Pettersson and Hughes level player to this group and we could be right there with the top teams.

If we’re drafting 9-12 I’m not convinced we won’t see more of the same. Short stints of “success” followed by retools. 

We could draft top 5 and get a dud too though so it's not that simple. Juolevi, Virtanen. 

Again. It's not about them missing out on the chance to draft Bedard. It's the fact they decide to keep trading picks when they are at the bottom of the league and they don't have a strong farm system. It is not sustainable to keep trading their picks and think they can be a top team long term. I just think they have and are neglecting the long term sustainability of this franchise to win now which has up to this point not worked. I guess keep trying until it works. I think I am just angry with Aquilini and his greed for making the playoffs and not building a contender or a sustainable contender. It just wreaks of lazy, fast tracking that has hurt this franchise.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1