The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Karlsson is such an interesting player. One thing for sure is that Benning is unfairly blamed for the OEL trade when really he should have been blamed for trading away Forsling. That is a painful trade.

I remember getting cooked for being mad about the Forsling trade. It was by a poster that has recently blocked me too. Guess he was tired of me being right :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't have any real evidence. Tocchet said that Boeser is a good listener. He didn't have to say that. I just believe Boeser will change his offseason training though.

Like I said, you seem to be of the belief that he will magically change his offseason habits, lose weight and get faster.  Cause those are the two things he needs to do at minimum if he wants to salvage his NHL career.

I understand he lost his father at a young age.  Alot of us have gone through that.  I lost my dad in my 20's as well, so I know the exact feeling and can relate.  It sucks.  But life moves on.  My mom was always there for me and I know Brock is close with the rest of his family.

At the end of the day, he is a professional athlete who is earning close to $7 million.  The Canucks gave him this money thinking he would repay them with goals.  So far, Brock hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain.  So, the criticism is fair and deserved up to this point.

We will see what happens this summer and if Tocchet can actually get to him and change his offseason training so he can come back in the best shape of his life ready to be a 25-30 goal scorer again...

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 3/12/2023 at 12:30 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe?

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier

Podkolzin - Miller - Kravtsov

McDonough - Aman - Garland

Joshua - Dries - Boeser

Studnicka

I like this lineup, I'd love to see what Pods and Kravtsov could do with an NHL caliber center. They've had bursts of quality play with Dries as their center, but it always seems like Pods is driving the play. It would be good to have the center drive the play, with Pods and Kravtsov banging the boards and acting as net front presence for deflections and rebounds. Every so often I see Petey take a twirl with them, but I think you have to play some with Petey to really understand what he's doing, that's why I appreciate that Tocchet has left Kuzmenko with him this whole time. Petey and Kuz have two of the highest hockey IQs on the team, for Petey, in the league.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

So he was our 7th round pick but *chose* to sign with us ?

He could have been a free agent and signed anywhere after his college years were done. 

So yeah, he ‘chose’ to sign his ELC with the Canucks. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said, you seem to be of the belief that he will magically change his offseason habits, lose weight and get faster.  Cause those are the two things he needs to do at minimum if he wants to salvage his NHL career.

I understand he lost his father at a young age.  Alot of us have gone through that.  I lost my dad in my 20's as well, so I know the exact feeling and can relate.  It sucks.  But life moves on.  My mom was always there for me and I know Brock is close with the rest of his family.

At the end of the day, he is a professional athlete who is earning close to $7 million.  The Canucks gave him this money thinking he would repay them with goals.  So far, Brock hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain.  So, the criticism is fair and deserved up to this point.

We will see what happens this summer and if Tocchet can actually get to him and change his offseason training so he can come back in the best shape of his life ready to be a 25-30 goal scorer again...

You seem to magically think that people grieve the same way. You have no idea what he's going through (and neither do I). You have no idea if COVID affected him in any way, performance wise. You have no idea if his wrist is essentially broken for the NHL. You could be right that he could be done. But you could also be wrong too.

Maybe it's nothing magical. Maybe we should just leave it at that. I certainly wasn't thinking something magical here.

Sometimes the magic is really just honest hard work. I think he's still got it. I believe in him. I could be let down, of course.

Edited by Dazzle

26 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I remember getting cooked for being mad about the Forsling trade. It was by a poster that has recently blocked me too. Guess he was tired of me being right :ph34r:

To be fair, there’s no way anyone could have definitively projected Forsling from his amateur years. 

Claiming that you knew how Forsling would end up is either precondition or claiming foresight because of the end result.

You’re not a fortune teller. You might be a Witch though. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You seem to magically think that people grieve the same or similarly You have no idea what he's going through. You have no idea if COVID affected him in any way, performance wise. You have no idea if his wrist is essentially broken for the NHL. You could be right that he could be done. But you could also be wrong too.

Maybe it's nothing magical. Maybe we should just leave it at that. I wasn't thinking something magical here.

There has been zero mention of Brock being affected by COVID.  It's been almost 3 years, I'm sure we would have heard something by now.  His wrist I can guarantee you is bothering him.  He doesn't have the same release he did a few years ago.  If you watch old video it would be the first thing you notice.  So, if that is the case then Brock may never be the same goal scorer again.

It looks like he is trying to re-invent his game and be more of a playmaker.  There is nothing wrong with that, but in order to do that he has to lose the weight and get faster.  Tocchet mentioned that he needs to get in quicker on the forecheck and into the corners.  He needs more speed in order to do that.  Without that extra gear he won't be able to be that puck retrieval guy who can make plays either.  So we will see what he does this summer.

As for the grieving, I won't get into that anymore, I've said my piece on that and it brings back bad memories for me too...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

To be fair, there’s no way anyone could have definitively projected Forsling from his amateur years. 

Claiming that you knew how Forsling would end up is either precondition or claiming foresight because of the end result.

You’re not a fortune teller. You might be a Witch though. 

I knew it was a bad trade, and it was. I never claimed I Nostradamus'd his career. Lol.

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Or it could just simply be the pressures on a young guy that lost his dad and had the pressures of the world piled on top of him and simply never had time to recover from it. 

Recovering from losing your dad isn’t easy. The recovery happens in stages. The energy and your ‘will’ gets sucked out of you. It takes time to recover. 

I can’t and won’t fault him, if that’s the case. 

But, the needs of the team carry on. 

It’s a tough time, sometimes, being a pro-athlete. 

True, I can relate 100%.  But for me and alot of other people I know what happens is that you go into survival mode, which means you start to take care of the people around you.  As the son, you are now the father figure in the family and need to take care of mom.  That's how I got through it.  Brock needs to understand this.  If he needs help, then he should get it.  I did.  Therapy worked wonders for me and just talking about it with others.

Anyways, I wish Brock all the best with that.  At the end of the day, he is a professional athlete and if he needs some help, he shouldn't be afraid to ask for it...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True, I can relate 100%.  But for me and alot of other people I know what happens is that you go into survival mode, which means you start to take care of the people around you.  As the son, you are now the father figure in the family and need to take care of mom.  That's how I got through it.  Brock needs to understand this.  If he needs help, then he should get it.  I did.  Therapy worked wonders for me and just talking about it with others.

Anyways, I wish Brock all the best with that.  At the end of the day, he is a professional athlete and if he needs some help, he shouldn't be afraid to ask for it...

This is so true...

Whatever it takes to get yourself mentally in order, you should do...

Life is tough at the best of times. Don't make it harder by not using all available tools at you disposal. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 3

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Stay strong EP. 

Thanks for sharing.

Agree with you about sharing the loss. 

No one should carry emotional burdens on their own back. 

I’m here for you and for any CDC’r that ever needs to unpack their burdens from loss. 

Never hurts to reach out. 

Top man...

CDC at its best.... bravo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yay, it's official! 

I think many will be sadly disappointed when they see how slow he is. He should hopefully get a game or two in before the seasons out and you'll see for yourself.    If he works on his skating over the next couple of years he might be able to try out for the team at a later date.  In the meantime and aside from getting a short stint, I fully expect he'll be headed straight to the farm team.

• Cheers 1