The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 14, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I think waiting one more year to buy out OEL would be good.   If we honestly think we will not be contenders next April either. If you compare the numbers between a buyout this summer, and a buy out next summer. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

We can still save 7 million of cap if we wait a year than if we bought him out this summer.

I just can't see us hanging on to him longer than that if he continues to decline. But if we can bring in Hronek, and one more better D, we can regulate OEL to 5/6 position. With less minutes, I think he'll be fine for another season. Depends if we buy out Myers or not this summer.

Again, let's wait until we see him in a halfway decent system.  Up until RT, everyone thought Myers was the worst dman in the league and now, in RT's system he's looking pretty good.......and OEL is a far better dman than Myers is.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just let people enjoy hockey ffs. Insufferable tweets or posts about how wins are lessening their lottery odds aren't going to change anything. 

Absolutely. Maybe we should ask the mods to create a "All Things Tank" thread for the whiners who continually piss and moan whenever the Canucks dare to win a game and upset the master plan of getting a better position in the draft. Right now, Vancouver is seeded 8th with a 6% chance of winning the lottery. If they get bumped to 10th, they'd have a 3.5% chance. If they managed to tank harder and finish as 5th seed, they'd have a 8.5% chance. I'm going to go way out on a limb here, but whether they are seeded 5th or 10th, the odds are slim. So, if they go crazy and move up the standings, and down the draft seedings, I really don't care. I like it when my team wins and don't like it when they lose. If you hope for them to lose, you aren't a fan.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Obviously I want the team to land the best pick possible. I'm sure that goes for everyone here. That said, you can't expect professional athletes to purposely lose and expect them to want to stick around. 

I think my main issue is that I just don't understand what people are advocating we do when they complain about winning games like Drance does. There may be some minor things like allotting ice time differently, but it's not like that won't be noticed by your star players. If the team is down 3-2 with 5 minutes left, we get a powerplay, and Tocchet sends the 4th line and bottom pairing out on the powerplay, I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with Petey or Hughes. We could sit Demko, which would probably have a more significant effect on the tank than anything, but are you really willing to piss off your star goalie (as well as the rest of the team), especially after he was out most of the season and is trying to reestablish himself? That hardly seems fair to him.

+1

Especially when management is attempting to create a strong culture in the locker room.  Coaches purposely choosing to put out less competitive line-up.  That would be a mistake for sure.

No doubt, this is an awkward time... With hindsight, management should have let Boudreau go end if last season.  But really.... The mistake was made by Aquallini, by hiring Boudreau BEFORE Jim Rutherford.  Anyway, here we are.... Gotta say that I am enjoying the product on the ice both in Van and in Abby.  

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Obviously I want the team to land the best pick possible. I'm sure that goes for everyone here. That said, you can't expect professional athletes to purposely lose and expect them to want to stick around. 

I think my main issue is that I just don't understand what people are advocating we do when they complain about winning games like Drance does. There may be some minor things like allotting ice time differently, but it's not like that won't be noticed by your star players. If the team is down 3-2 with 5 minutes left, we get a powerplay, and Tocchet sends the 4th line and bottom pairing out on the powerplay, I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with Petey or Hughes. We could sit Demko, which would probably have a more significant effect on the tank than anything, but are you really willing to piss off your star goalie (as well as the rest of the team), especially after he was out most of the season and is trying to reestablish himself? That hardly seems fair to him.

Playing players huge minutes makes no sense. Miller, Hughes, Petey. 

Why is the organization allowing them to go HAM? 

They’re already signed. They’ve shown recently that they can win. 

I like that the Abby boys are getting so much time and opportunity. Why not continue that? 

Podz and Kravs are still 4th line minutes. Give them more. 

Bring up Hogz. Let him gel with potential linemates. 

Keep Demmer game restricted. He just came off an injury. Why play him so much, especially now? Get Silovs out there for the majority of the games. He’s got a ton of talent to be a legit backup. 

I dunno man, it doesn’t make sense to try a fight for a non-playoff spot and kill any chance of getting the best prospect that could add to the lineup in a couple/three years that adds more skill into the lineup when the team actually has a shot of making a play for the Finals(Conference or Cup). 

Just my take on it. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot of non-believers, thinking we've seen this movie before. Winning down the stretch feels different to me this time. When was the last time the Canucks had a really good coaching staff?  AV days. 

Canucks are winning and they're learning to play as a team, aggressive and disciplined (for the most part), and they're doing this with 4 AHL Ds. This team is going to be dynamite next season. 

I love Canucks goals and seeing them celebrate after a win. I've been wishing and hoping for the #1 pick in the Draft for 10 years and I'm done. I don't like to see the Canucks lose, tired of it and I want playoffs (next year). Who knows how the lottery will go anyway. If it's meant to be, then it will be. 

5 in a row and ARI, LA, ANA next up. Goin' on a run :towel:

Agreed..big segment of fanbase stuck in some masturbatory-fantasy dreamland of LOTTO-fulfilment, while we already HAVE 3 1st OA type-talents displaying their gifts on a nightly basis.

Just get this cap-crap hopefully sorted over summer, & next fall should be a solid team.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NorthWest_Express said:

OEL is probably getting bought out, or asked to retire. Garland is going to be shopped, JT will have some teams interested at the draft. Myers is gone after his bonus is paid 

Why would we possibly entertain the idea of moving Miller? Counterproductive to a retool dont you think? 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If we go 12-4 I’m gonna be so mad.

That would likely mean no good pick and falling around 4 wins shy of a playoff spot…

If this team doesn’t have a plan to start managing Demko’s starts and reducing certain players minutes they’re hopeless.

I'm not on team Tank, but I 100% agree with the bolded.  Odds of the playoffs are microscopic, so I don't see the point of risking Huggy with his huge icetimes.  Especially on the road.  Winning a few for the home crowd should make Aquilini smile some, along with those in attendance, but why risk injuries to the core players by overworking them.

When we've sucked so bad this year, it only makes sense to give the youngsters and new adds some more time to give mgmt more looks on them.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Why would we possibly entertain the idea of moving Miller? Counterproductive to a retool dont you think? 

Some just can't seem to let that dream go.  If Horvat stayed, the argument to move Miller is fair.  Now, I don't see it being feasible.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think getting Silvos some games is a good idea. 
We get it Thatcher, you had a bad start but are amazing now take some nights off and let the kid get some games. 
EP and QH and horses. Let them run, build them up. You can reduce minutes if they start to get tired. 

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Some just can't seem to let that dream go.  If Horvat stayed, the argument to move Miller is fair.  Now, I don't see it being feasible.

yes Millar has been worth his weight since moving Horvat. Its like he realized he has to earn his money.

But has anyone looked at cap friendly since? we are over cap per game.

Sure, we are winning against great teams, but our cap is over other teams that are in playoffs.

Demko mentioned he heard rumors. I think this forum is the only place Demko/Millar has been mentioned as a trade for whoever gets Bedard.

12 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

yes Millar has been worth his weight since moving Horvat. Its like he realized he has to earn his money.

But has anyone looked at cap friendly since? we are over cap per game.

Sure, we are winning against great teams, but our cap is over other teams that are in playoffs.

Demko mentioned he heard rumors. I think this forum is the only place Demko/Millar has been mentioned as a trade for whoever gets Bedard.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame--demko-vs-senators/t-277437438/c-15859733 march 12, Demko mentions trade rumors. Yes he wants to stay, as we all do. but he heard rumors and I think Demko/Millar for who ever gets Bedard is the only thing out there and it was on here.

So whoever thinks no one cares about our FAN voice matters, it f**king does

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame--demko-vs-senators/t-277437438/c-15859733 march 12, Demko mentions trade rumors. Yes he wants to stay, as we all do. but he heard rumors and I think Demko/Millar for who ever gets Bedard is the only thing out there and it was on here.

So whoever thinks no one cares about our FAN voice matters, it f**king does

You beat me for the drunkest post today.

BUT, I have a bottle of Pinot Grigio and two shots of vodka left. 

I’m comin for your title! 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You beat me for the drunkest post today.

BUT, I have a bottle of Pinot Grigio and two shots of vodka left. 

I’m comin for your title! 

I swear man, since i started bitching on here, OEL is off the ice, Myers is playing 2 out of 3 periods, Brock is doing what I predicted, and we are winning games. The only turd in the room is the cap. someone is actually reading all this crap, maybe just an AI

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

sometimes a good defenseman doesnt need goals, for example, Hughes 1 goal for every 10 assists.

Spot on... Tanev hardly scored a goal for us... he would have been great just about now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

True. It’s a deep draft. But ‘deep draft’ means that any of the top 5 are typically considered top players or top picks. 

If the Nucks draft at around 12 or so, then it’s a crapshoot. 

The Nucks have an easier schedule now and they’re surging. That doesn’t help the team either. 

I love the fact that the team is gelling. I love that Tik Tocchet is bringing in systems to make the team better, but I hate the fact that the team isn’t allowing itself to draft at the best spot possible. 

I could go on, but my turret hurts. 

Okay now just think about this for a second….. as nice as it would be to draft a Bedard of should I say McDavidesque kind of player….Think of how Edmonton and Toronto have never been able to add quality to where they need it most. All because of a few monster contracts taking up a huge chunk of cap space.

1 10mil goalie beat 30mil worth of scoring because that goalie had a team around him.

If it wasnt for Gino on an ELC. PIT most likely might have never won a cup, certainly not 2 or 3. 

Kane and Toews signed matching deals and their only playoff appearance since then was through the ‘19-20 qualifying round… their contracts killed chicago.

Ovi won a cup only after the cap caught up to his cap hit… which is why PIT won their 2nd and 3rd cups, because the cap caught up.

TBL won their cups because they benefit from no tax states, so they can build a deep ass team every year. Kuch should be making McDavid money… yet hes under 10.. its not fair what a handful of the US teams have, but those contracts are the kinda cap hits we need with that type of skill to win. 

I dont want to be in any of those scenarios where we have to hand out those sorts of contracts and hope to god we can still assemble a good enough lucky enough team to win a handful of rounds of hockey and win a cup.

Draft a high skilled player, develop for a few years and insert into the lineup on a cheap deal during our window.

Not draft a generational player, insert into the lineup and shorten your window 3 years later with a monster contract. 

Generational talent is a gift and a curse imo.. but f*** it if thats what it takes to win a cup and go on a drought for awhile.. I’m on board…. i just prefer a longer window and staying competitive as long as Boston has

• Upvote 1