The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Tuesday March 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Vegas Knights - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

43 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

What's the Canucks' long term strategy or plan?

With our current run our chances of getting Bedard draft lottery simulator Tankathon puts us at 6% chance of getting Bedard.

Is the strategy now to work on current team chemistry and building a more structured system and figuring out what playing style suits our team chemistry?

What's the path to get out of 10+ years of mediocrity where we have short runs that fall just short of making the playoffs?

Right now betting sites like Power Ranking Guru have us at ZERO% chance of making the playoffs (14 points out of a Wild card spot with 13 games left ), but also little chance of getting Bedard - so what's the plan?

They want to go with this core obviously.  I think some here are way too obsessed with the slim chance at Bedard.  It seems this tanking talk goes on every year that we have a poor start and out of the playoff race early.

Some here underestimate the importance of a good system that emphasizes a good defensive structure.  No i'm not talking about the trap or any other system that retards offense.  I was really impressed with LA and how disciplined they were as an example.  People say same old same old.  Poor start with a good finish to take us out of a better draft position.  But to me there are differences.  Having watched them closely all year, I can say they are playing much differently now than they did at the start of the season.  The encouraging thing is that we are winning with a largely AHL defense and missing our captain which we traded almost 20 games ago.

Mgmt. will still be making some moves in the off season.  The roster you will see now won't be the same at the start of next season.  

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The intersection is huge... I've been talking to a lot of different fans at bars, at work, etc 

Lots of people want the team to finish as low as possible because of Bedard.  

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA

I used to work in the sports bar scene for almost a decade and can tell you that the majority of sports minded customers that talk about hockey just parrot whatever the media says.  They sit at the bar nodding their heads at the rumors and conspiracy theories that suit their narrative.  As a bartender I had a much more pleasant time talking to customers who were average fans who aren't entrenched on their couches or barstools in front of their screens complaining about the same things for the last decade.

• Vintage 1

2015-2016.  Finished 3rd last.  Drafted Joulevi 5th

2016-2017.  Finished 2nd last.  Drafted Pettersson 5th

2017-2018.  Finished 6th last.  Drafted Hughes 7th

2018-2019.  Finished 9th last.  Drafted Podkolzin 10th

We dropped a total of 7 spots in 4 consecutive years.

Law of averages, right? 

• RoughGame 1
  • There it is 2

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

What I'm hoping for is for the Canucks to turn the tide of having slow starts next season. 

That’ll be key regardless of how many games we win or lose this season. 

Im gonna keep hoping we can add a young impact forward on an ELC until after those lotto balls drop until then though.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Mgmt. will still be making some moves in the off season.  The roster you will see now won't be the same at the start of next season.  

I want to believe this but it's hard to get a read on what management wants to do versus what they're capable of doing. 

Since arriving Rutherford has publicly said the following:

-he believes the defense is fully capable of taking this club into the playoffs (we know how this is going)

-they are not interested in trading away high draft picks(we know what happened there)

-they want to add cap flexibility (signed Miller, wt EP/Hronek due big raises soon)

-they want to change the culture of the team (to their credit they traded their Captain which was significant)

-they wanted to make significant moves on defense last off season (literally nothing was done)