The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumours] Canucks NCAA & Euro FA targets

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Who do you like best for the Canucks?

Honestly, I like Biakabutuka as a low risk/high reward play, especially now that the Canucks’ farm and development system seems greatly improved. He’s still young enough to develop a lot further and make gains and get great returns from working with our staff. He’s big and super athletic. Still a raw overall game and needs some more coaching, but one of the core elements he has going is aggression/physicality, which you can’t really teach—most guys either have that trait or they don’t. Offence really emerged this year with some big totals (17 goals, 42 points) for a Dman. And he can really move, especially for a guy his size. Definitely not an addition that helps the roster/depth immediately, but down the road could be a big win.

EDIT: I also think Metsa is hugely underrated and deserves more hype. He’s just been consistently good for years, rather than peaking this year, like some of the other NCAA guys who seem to be getting more press. He’s gotten NHL interest over the years, just might have lost that “shiny new toy” aspect. He’s also undersized, which might scare people off, but he’s also not really smaller than half of today’s best defencemen (Hughes, Makar, Fox, etc). His overall game is arguably stronger than most of the NCAA defencemen already signed this year. And his offensive tools are high end.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Honestly, I like Biakabutuka as a low risk/high reward play, especially now that the Canucks’ farm and development system seems greatly improved. He’s still young enough to develop a lot further and make gains and get great returns from working with our staff. He’s big and super athletic. Still a raw overall game and needs some more coaching, but one of the core elements he has going is aggression/physicality, which you can’t really teach—most guys either have that trait or they don’t. Offence really emerged this year with some big totals (17 goals, 42 points) for a Dman. And he can really move, especially for a guy his size. Definitely not an addition that helps the roster/depth immediately, but down the road could be a big win.

EDIT: I also think Metsa is hugely underrated and deserves more hype. He’s just been consistently good for years, rather than peaking this year, like some of the other NCAA guys who seem to be getting more press. He’s gotten NHL interest over the years, just might have lost that “shiny new toy” aspect. He’s also undersized, which might scare people off, but he’s also not really smaller than half of today’s best defencemen (Hughes, Makar, Fox, etc). His overall game is arguably stronger than most of the NCAA defencemen already signed this year. And his offensive tools are high end.

metsa is 24 yrs and 5'9, Im all for free prospects but at the end of the day the owner had to actually pay these players real money, also he can't have an elc because of his age...

56 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

metsa is 24 yrs and 5'9, Im all for free prospects but at the end of the day the owner had to actually pay these players real money, also he can't have an elc because of his age...

His 25th birthday is in October (just past the September 15th cutoff) so he’s still eligible for a one-year ELC. Not that it really matters. Malinski just signed an SPC for lower cap than most ELCs and it was also a two-way deal.

As for 5’9”, Nick Blankenburg is listed at that exact height and he’s actually lighter than Metsa. He signed an age 24 one-year ELC a year ago and received an extension.

Blankenburg was playing nearly 20 minutes a night for Columbus this season (until his ankle injury), with 14 points in 36 games.

Not saying Metsa’s gonna have the same career trajectory. He could amount to nothing. Most of these guys a low percentage bets, as far as making the NHL as any kind of impact player.

I just wouldn’t count him out.

Metsa, like Blankenburg, is very strong for his size and really knows how to use leverage and a low centre of gravity to his advantage. He wins puck battles against much bigger players. He’s a good skater and has a nonstop motor. Can log huge minutes without fading. And he’s good at both ends of the ice.

He won the award for his conference’s best defensive defenceman last year.

And his college career scoring numbers are actually better than either Livingstone or Malinski (and better than Blankenburg’s too).

41 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

His 25th birthday is in October (just past the September 15th cutoff) so he’s still eligible for a one-year ELC. Not that it really matters. Malinski just signed an SPC for lower cap than most ELCs and it was also a two-way deal.

As for 5’9”, Nick Blankenburg is listed at that exact height and he’s actually lighter than Metsa. He signed an age 24 one-year ELC a year ago and received an extension.

Blankenburg was playing nearly 20 minutes a night for Columbus this season (until his ankle injury), with 14 points in 36 games.

Not saying Metsa’s gonna have the same career trajectory. He could amount to nothing. Most of these guys a low percentage bets, as far as making the NHL as any kind of impact player.

I just wouldn’t count him out.

Metsa, like Blankenburg, is very strong for his size and really knows how to use leverage and a low centre of gravity to his advantage. He wins puck battles against much bigger players. He’s a good skater and has a nonstop motor. Can log huge minutes without fading. And he’s good at both ends of the ice.

He won the award for his conference’s best defensive defenceman last year.

And his college career scoring numbers are actually better than either Livingstone or Malinski (and better than Blankenburg’s too).

well sig  him up

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Is Metsa's NCAA season over? If not, might be the reason for why he hasn't signed yet. 

4 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

His team (Orebro) and Haman-Äktell’s team (Vaxjo) both recently advanced to the playoff semi-finals (against different teams). If they are not eliminated, playoffs end April 30th.

Hoping the Canucks sign Haman-Äktell when he's free to sign. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Is Metsa's NCAA season over? If not, might be the reason for why he hasn't signed yet. 

He’s still playing. He’s in the Frozen Four with #2 ranked Quinnipiac.

EDIT: if you’re in Canada, you can watch him play on April 6th in Quinnipiac’s semifinal versus Michigan. It’ll be streamed on TSN+. Also on ESPN for Americans. Metsa wears #23 and he’s the team captain.

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Likewise. Seems like the right mix of size and skill that RT would like on the 3rd pair

Gonna be a lot of teams after him. I like our chances, though. That doesn’t mean we’re favourites, of course. Many suitors means lower odds for everyone. But I think this management has shown they can recruit players and sell them on the opportunities here, both in terms of development and roster. If they see Hardy Häman Aktell as a valued target, they’ll make a strong play for him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Strictly Bizness said:

Any news on Ryan Mcallister and who the favourite is to land him?  I haven't heard his name for a bit.  I googled him as well and there is no news on him and or likely landing spots.

It's still not clear if he is going to come out of college. He just completed his first year so he might want to stay a while.

8 hours ago, coryberg said:

It's still not clear if he is going to come out of college. He just completed his first year so he might want to stay a while.

Would probably be best for his development, another year of schooling behind him and hopefully ample off season time to train and sign next year...But, if NHL teams are calling and offering a deal now it would be nearly impossible for me to say no to signing on the dotted line, especially someone like himself who was undrafted and I think it is fair to say shocked everyone with his 1st year college season he had.

That is why these kids have advisors to help them

On 3/30/2023 at 11:37 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

With Livingstone and Malinski off the board, here are a few RHD still available, via college, Europe, and CHL free agency:

Filip Berglund

Timofei Kovgorenya

Zach Metsa

Colton Huard

Cole McWard

Spencer Meier

Zak Galambos

Jérémie Biakabutuka

Landon Kosior

(these are in no particular order, just the names I could think of, for RDH)

I want metsa. Dude is great at both ends of the ice

Will be interesting to compare Livingstone, Malinski and Hirose to each other down the stretch. Livingstone yet to play, Malinski has 2 points in 2 AHL games so far. I think Livingstone will be the best of the bunch all-around and he'll get some opportunities with Nashville surely, but hopefully Hirose just becomes a steady, not-so-flashy safe defenceman.

• Vintage 1

I don't follow targets, and get all the info on these pages...

But my hope is we draft/acquire some defensive D-men in the Tanev mould. Don't care too much about offensive side, as if they can't defend it doesn't really matter.

We are starved of Ohlund, Mitchell, Tanev type of Dmen... please please please get us some...