The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumours] Canucks NCAA & Euro FA targets

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Spencer Meier (RHD, 6’4” 220lbs, St Cloud) remains available.

Not necessarily an NHL ELC target, but the type of player I’d be happy to see get a look with the Abby Canucks.

Here’s a post I wrote on him a while back:

intriguing prospect. younger than Jake Livingstone. I would take a flyer on him, but given that he hasn't been signed yet, and that there's really no rumour about him linked to the Canucks (at least nothing I've heard online), maybe he's not on their radar? 

Signings have definitely slowed down, I wonder if it has to do with the cap. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

intriguing prospect. younger than Jake Livingstone. I would take a flyer on him, but given that he hasn't been signed yet, and that there's really no rumour about him linked to the Canucks (at least nothing I've heard online), maybe he's not on their radar? 

Signings have definitely slowed down, I wonder if it has to do with the cap. 

Yeah, he’s probably not a target or he’d already be signed.

Still, maybe he catches Ryan Johnson’s eye for an Abby addition? You never know.

I don’t think he’s high upside, like a Hirose, capable of stepping into an NHL lineup right now, and potentially becoming a top-4 in time. More of a depth/3rd pairing upside most likely. But I do like the combo of size, strength, character, and work ethic. Also he seems like a genuinely good person, and I have a soft spot for the guys like that. He might not be an ELC option but he’s probably a solid enough player for an AHL opportunity, and should eventually get a pro deal somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

With Aktell off the board (and reportedly never really featuring prominently on the Canucks’ target list), I believe that the remaining Swedish Dmen who’ve been linked to Vancouver in rumours at some point this year are Jacob Bengtsson (NCAA), Filip Berglund (SHL), and Samuel Johannesson (SHL).

I don’t really expect any of them to be signed here, or we’d already have seen something. It’s been really quiet lately and I’d think there’d be a lot more chatter from Dhaliwal and others if the Canucks were actively targeting any more college or European (transfer agreement) free agents.

Could be that Vancouver is done with “free prospects” for now. They’ve had a successful run, signing some really good targets in Hirose and McWard (who were both highly sought after) and also that Belarusian kid who played goal in Sweden (forgot his name, but it’s like “torpedo” or something lol). The Canucks could still be looking at some of the CHL undrafted/overagers that are still playing hockey. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one more player added from that pool. And maybe they are considering some KHL free agents (beyond Tryamkin). But it’s starting to look like the Canucks have already signed the UDFA’s they wanted to nab this year from the NCAA and Sweden.

I would still expect to see some development camp invites and Abbotsford signings to AHL contracts. College, European, and CHL free agents (undrafted or rights expired) tend to figure prominently in those additions, so we should still see some more new faces.

Plus the draft picks this year, and any trades or signings from the actual NHL ranks.

EDIT: Also Valtteri Pulli (22yo, 6’6” LHD from Finland) remains available, as the previous media reports he’d signed with Sharks were based on some bad sources.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The only European FA Dhaliwal is talking about the Canucks signing now is Tryamkin.

this makes sense on many levels 

Canucks holding 3 contract spots open right now

the ppl Try clashed with when he was here - willie D, JB, JW are all gone

Many Russians here - comfort in support and language 

Mill$$tein says Russians love it here

Hughes is here - partner Huggy with Try = $$$$$ for Try - what other team will give him a pairing with a Franchise D man..

SERGEI GONCHAR!!!!

Big MINUTE opportunity 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Hughes is here - partner Huggy with Try = $$$$$ for Try - what other team will give him a pairing with a Franchise D man..

SERGEI GONCHAR!!!!

Big MINUTE opportunity 

Who is JW? Drawing a complete blank here

12 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

SERGEI GONCHAR!!!!

Big MINUTE opportunity 

Geez, if Try thought Willie was harsh then how will he deal with Tocchet? Tocchet will want a lot of physicality from Tryamkin. Is he up for that? Van has to get more size on their back end. The NHL is certainly not the KHL so Tryamkin would have lots to prove. Might be worth a 1 year show me deal. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

what other team will give him a pairing with a Franchise D man..

hopefully no team, including the canucks, would be dumb enough to pair a borderline player like tryamkin with a 30 minute per night franchise dman.

• Cheers 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:44 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

With Aktell off the board (and reportedly never really featuring prominently on the Canucks’ target list), I believe that the remaining Swedish Dmen who’ve been linked to Vancouver in rumours at some point this year are Jacob Bengtsson (NCAA), Filip Berglund (SHL), and Samuel Johannesson (SHL).

I don’t really expect any of them to be signed here, or we’d already have seen something. It’s been really quiet lately and I’d think there’d be a lot more chatter from Dhaliwal and others if the Canucks were actively targeting any more college or European (transfer agreement) free agents.

Could be that Vancouver is done with “free prospects” for now. They’ve had a successful run, signing some really good targets in Hirose and McWard (who were both highly sought after) and also that Belarusian kid who played goal in Sweden (forgot his name, but it’s like “torpedo” or something lol). The Canucks could still be looking at some of the CHL undrafted/overagers that are still playing hockey. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one more player added from that pool. And maybe they are considering some KHL free agents (beyond Tryamkin). But it’s starting to look like the Canucks have already signed the UDFA’s they wanted to nab this year from the NCAA and Sweden.

I would still expect to see some development camp invites and Abbotsford signings to AHL contracts. College, European, and CHL free agents (undrafted or rights expired) tend to figure prominently in those additions, so we should still see some more new faces.

Plus the draft picks this year, and any trades or signings from the actual NHL ranks.

EDIT: Also Valtteri Pulli (22yo, 6’6” LHD from Finland) remains available, as the previous media reports he’d signed with Sharks were based on some bad sources.

There's still August as well for college guys who don't sign with their teams (O'Brien?).

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's still August as well for college guys who don't sign with their teams (O'Brien?).

Yeah, and it’s a pretty decent group of college players that should be hitting free agency August 15th. Including Jay O’Brien, Skyler Brind’Amour, Robert Mastrosimone, John Farinacci, and Ryan Johnson (D), just to name a few.

We’ll also see some rights expire on non-college picks June 1st, although many of those guys will re-enter the draft.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...