The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumours] Canucks NCAA & Euro FA targets

Just an update on the SHL free agents:

Filip Berglund’s (RHD target) season could be over today. Örebro is down 3-2 in their semifinal series and faces elimination.

So Berglund could be available shortly. I believe he’s signable once his playoffs are done. 

NHL teams have until June 15th (deadline under the transfer agreement) to sign SHL free agents.

Hardy Häman Aktell (LHD) also plays, but Växjö is up 3-2 in their series, so they have a chance today to punch their ticket to the SHL finals. Most likely he’ll be playing a while longer, as Växjö are favourites to win it all this year.

Side note: Filip Johansson (RHD who signed last free agency window with Vancouver) and Frölunda are playing Växjö and could be eliminated with a loss.

(I don’t necessarily expect the Swedish guys, like Berglund and Aktell, to sign deals immediately after their seasons are over. So it might take a while still before we hear anything. Most European free agents tend to sign from mid-May to June, within a month of the deadline. And, especially the top guys, may need some time to consider their options.)

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 1:45 PM, DeNiro said:

There’s definitely some connections for Metsa to BC and the Canucks.

He played in Merritt in the BCHL for a season.

He played with Boeser briefly, he played with current Abby Canuck Regush for a season, as well as Dakota Joshua’s younger brother.

Hopefully they can get this guy. He seems to be an impact player at the college level. Would be an amazing add for Abbotsford right before their playoff run.

Fingers crossed he comes here. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just an update on the SHL free agents:

Filip Berglund’s (RHD target) season could be over today. Örebro is down 3-2 in their semifinal series and faces elimination.

So Berglund could be available shortly. I believe he’s signable once his playoffs are done. 

NHL teams have until June 15th (deadline under the transfer agreement) to sign SHL free agents.

(LHD) also plays, but Växjö is up 3-2 in their series, so they have a chance today to punch their ticket to the SHL finals. Most likely he’ll be playing a while longer, as Växjö are favourites to win it all this year.

Side note: Filip Johansson (RHD who signed last free agency window with Vancouver) and Frölunda are playing Växjö and could be eliminated with a loss.

(I don’t necessarily expect the Swedish guys, like Berglund and Aktell, to sign deals immediately after their seasons are over. So it might take a while still before we hear anything. Most European free agents tend to sign from mid-May to June, within a month of the deadline. And, especially the top guys, may need some time to consider their options.)

Isn't Aktell a RHD? 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=194126

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but O'Brien would be another solid add this summer if the Canucks can swing it.

https://www.canucksdaily.com/MAJOR-Former-first-round-selection-not-signing-with-his-team-to-test-free-agency-225585

Yeah, I’ve mentioned him a couple times. I think he’s definitely worth considering. I can understand why Philly is opting to not sign and will instead take the compensatory 2nd round pick. But when you look at O’Brien as a free agent, rather than a first round pick, he’s a decent option. Seems to have put his injury issues behind him, played a full season, and logged big minutes. Looks like he’s got his speed back too, now that he’s healthy. And he’s gotten a bit bigger, now more like 6’0”, 190lbs, and has added more physicality to his game. RH shot centre who can win faceoffs, play in all situations, solid in both ends, good speed, and scored 70 points in 79 games over his three seasons with Boston University. He looked good during the recent national tournament. Definitely one of the better players on the ice in the games that I watched.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

Just noticed that Konstantin Okulov (KHL) is hitting free agency. He’s repped by Gold Star (Millstein) and has had NHL teams chasing him for several years, just never able to get a deal done. Wonder if maybe this will be the year he comes over? And given that Millstein is a basically an honorary member of Canucks management ;), and the recent success with Kuzmenko, maybe Vancouver is the place for Okulov to start his NHL journey?

He’s a 28 year old LH shot RW. Bit of a late bloomer who didn’t truly establish himself in the KHL until he was in his early to mid 20’s. Fast skater, agile, highly skilled, good shot, creative playmaker, solid two-way game (by Russian standards anyway), and one of the top scorers in the KHL.

Also just noticed he’s appeared on some recent top-5 and top-10 lists for the best European free agents this year.

Another free agent late bloomer is Jiri Smejkal. He’s a 26 year old Czech LW/C who just put up around a point per game in the SHL, after doing the same in Liiga last season. Smejkal has size at 6’4”, 223 lbs. Good speed and skill and plays a power forward style. Definitely has taken him some time for the offence to really click, but seems to be hitting his stride in his mid-20’s and producing now at a rate in Europe than might translate to secondary scoring in the NHL. He’s not totally unfamiliar with the North American game, having played a couple seasons in the WHL as a teenager.

(For younger options, there’s always CHL free agency. Some of the consensus top forwards this year (in terms of free agency targets that scouts see having a decent chance to actually play in the NHL) are Owen Pederson, Logan Morrison, Kyle McDonald, Riley Fiddler-Schultz (Vern Fiddler’s kid), and Evan Vierling (former NYR pick, rights expired). I might come back and write some profiles on these guys, but they’re pretty easy to lookup on Elite Prospects and in articles for this year’s top CHL free agents.)

Weird typos

Looks like Harvard RH centre John Farinacci (former 76th overall pick, former teammate of Jack Rathbone at Dexter and Harvard) and Quinnipiac LH centre Skyler Brind’Amour (former 177th overall pick, one of the NCAA’s best defensive forwards and faceoff guys, and Rod’s son) won’t be signing with their draft rights teams and will be joining Jay O’Brien for August 15th free agency.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

After the clown show Arizona pulled by ending up on the ASU campus, I don't blame Farinacci for not wanting to sign with the team that drafted him.  Harvard vs. ASU?  heh.

As for Rod the Bod's boy, is he thinking of signing with his dad's team?  :P

Skyler played 2 seasons in the BCHL with the Chilliwack Chiefs, Canucks should make a call to see if there is interest. Apparently he is quite good defensively and good at faceoffs...never a bad thing to hav in the organization.

4 hours ago, Neutral said:

Skyler played 2 seasons in the BCHL with the Chilliwack Chiefs, Canucks should make a call to see if there is interest. Apparently he is quite good defensively and good at faceoffs...never a bad thing to hav in the organization.

He won the ECAC’s best defensive forward award this year and his faceoff win percentage was just under 60%.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Does he have NHL feet or at least a super high hockey IQ? If he has the smarts and the character then sure bring him in. 

From the scouting reports, his skating is only average and he lacks explosiveness. Most of the reports are from his draft year, however, so he may have improved over the past two years.

IQ/hockey sense he’s usually rated high. Described as an intelligent player who reads the ice well and has good sense and anticipation for developing plays. Quick reactions and processing speed. Good defensive awareness. 

Metsa dominated NCAA, Right shot D, smaller, a bit older but great character, higher end offensive and two way skill than stecher supposedly, both players would be perfect for abby and could push for nil spots in next few years, either could surprise as well, Metsa has a Tory Krug feel to him

Edited by Canucks Curse