Canucks Community

[rumours] Canucks NCAA & Euro FA targets

37 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. Hronek 

2. Myers 

3. Bear 

4. Burroughs 

5. Juulsen 

If Livingstone were to sign, he'd be getting lumped up with Filip Johansson and Jett Woo on the depth chart behind these guys.  Totally fine to sign him and give him a chance, but you couldn't give him any promises with a straight face. 

Other than Hronek, I am not confident in any of those other dmen. Myers makes too many mistakes. Bear might not be back and if he is, he is at best a 5th/6th dman. Juulsen is always injured and Burroughs again is at best a 6th/7th dman. There is a huge opportunity there. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s why he can be given time in Abby to work on it. It’s only a stones throw away from where he played junior so the familiarity would be there.

And a stones throw away from a call up. As stated by others, the Canucks have done an excellent job in creating a staff and system to support player development. In addition, the proximity of the farm to the NHL team allows for them to dovetail both teams quite nicely, and I’m sure a lot of the prospects looking to sign would be swayed by this.

I do not often offer praise to this FO, but this is something they have done VERY well.

39 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. Hronek 

2. Myers 

3. Bear 

4. Burroughs 

5. Juulsen 

If Livingstone were to sign, he'd be getting lumped up with Filip Johansson and Jett Woo on the depth chart behind these guys.  Totally fine to sign him and give him a chance, but you couldn't give him any promises with a straight face. 

If he is actually worthy of making the team at some point, I would hope he’d be able to out perform your options 3-5, otherwise the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. If he were to play well in AHL and training camp, the canucks offer him an excellent opportunity to play in the NHL on a decent/good team next year.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

If he is actually worthy of making the team at some point, I would hope he’d be able to out perform your options 3-5, otherwise the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. If he were to play well in AHL and training camp, the canucks offer him an excellent opportunity to play in the NHL on a decent/good team next year.

Exactly. People hype up the dmen because they have had this stretch even though it's been at a time facing terrible teams and mostly ahl players and when games don't really mean anything. They are all relaxed already knowing the outcome for this year. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. Hronek 

2. Myers 

3. Bear 

4. Burroughs 

5. Juulsen 

Bear isn't signed after this year and Myers is likely being moved. Burroughs and Juulsen are depth players that wouldn't crack a contending team's starting lineup. If both Myers and Bear are gone think you can comfortably consider him 2nd on the depth chart. Hell, with Myers and Bear still around I think he'd still be in the mix for 2nd on the depth chart..

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. Hronek 

2. Myers 

3. Bear 

4. Burroughs 

5. Juulsen 

Johansson as well, who will likely be the #2rhd behind hronek

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d be thrilled to see the Canucks sign Hirose. I’ve been very high on him for a couple years now. I think he might even have the best “hockey brain” of all the free agent NCAA Dmen this year. Super poised, zero panic, and reads the ice so well. Smart, smart player. Combined with his mobility and skillset, I really like his chances as an NHL player, despite being undersized. The only concern in his game might be his ability to handle larger forwards (since his 6’0” and only around 170ish), but he’s really worked on his D, his angles and gaps are really good, and he has an excellent stick, and has proven pretty darn effective already defending the bigger guys in the NCAA. Obviously the pros are a major step up, but I think he has the smarts to adjust and succeed.

I know he’s not the big, physical, two-way RHD people want, but he’s still an excellent free agent target with a real chance of making an NHL roster one day.

"Modern Hamhuis"-esque game sound about right? Good skating, cerebral defensive player that can also give you half decent secondary offense?

Could be a really good Hronek partner down the line....

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Johansson as well, who will likely be the #2rhd behind hronek

I think that's what management is hoping for as well. Johansson is currently signed with the Canucks and was loaned to Frolunda? this season. 

He just turned 23 (march 23rd) and has spent 3 seasons in the SHL playing against men. His team is in the playoffs and has 3 points in 4 games.

Perhaps he comes and plays for Abby after his playoffs are over...no red tape or signing to deal as he's already signed with us. 

IMO he's further ahead on the depth chart than anyone we sign outta the NCAA...and should probably be in next seasons opening lineup (behind hronek) although they'll 

probably slot him in behind Myers (if he's still here) until next years trade deadline.

It makes the most sense from a development & cap standpoint,,,However the Nucks will probably buy out OEL or clear cap some other way and Francesco will 

tell them to go out and pay through the nose in FA for an older D-man with expierence looking to cash in...or trade away draft picks on the draft floor in June.

Pretty typical of a canucks rebuild/retool. LOL    

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I think that's what management is hoping for as well. Johansson is currently signed with the Canucks and was loaned to Frolunda? this season. 

He just turned 23 (march 23rd) and has spent 3 seasons in the SHL playing against men. His team is in the playoffs and has 3 points in 4 games.

Perhaps he comes and plays for Abby after his playoffs are over...no red tape or signing to deal as he's already signed with us. 

IMO he's further ahead on the depth chart than anyone we sign outta the NCAA...and should probably be in next seasons opening lineup (behind hronek) although they'll 

probably slot him in behind Myers (if he's still here) until next years trade deadline.

It makes the most sense from a development & cap standpoint,,,However the Nucks will probably buy out OEL or clear cap some other way and Francesco will 

tell them to go out and pay through the nose in FA for an older D-man with expierence looking to cash in...or trade away draft picks on the draft floor in June.

Pretty typical of a canucks rebuild/retool. LOL    

We are not buying out OEL…he is probably #2 on that list above regardless of RHD or LHD. The guy had an off year after playing way too many minutes in a crap system prior to RTs arrival. Is he worth the 7.2m…no, but he definitely is better than what we can get with the buyout $ and a replacement.

Let him rest up and come back at 2nd pair LHD next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

We are not buying out OEL…he is probably #2 on that list above regardless of RHD or LHD. The guy had an off year after playing way too many minutes in a crap system prior to RTs arrival. Is he worth the 7.2m…no, but he definitely is better than what we can get with the buyout $ and a replacement.

Let him rest up and come back at 2nd pair LHD next year.

And next year OEL continues to stink so he is replaced in our bottom pairing by a 1 million dollar guy. OEL sits in the press box while we are then allocating 8+ mil to a bottom pairing D spot. 
That could happen. 
The for sure safe play is to buyout OEL. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

"Modern Hamhuis"-esque game sound about right? Good skating, cerebral defensive player that can also give you half decent secondary offense?

Could be a really good Hronek partner down the line....

I could see him trending that way. Minus the hipchecks and 200+ lb body, of course.

Most people probably don’t think of Hirose as a defensive D, and that part of his game is a more recent addition (he’s really worked to improve), but I could see him becoming a “transitional defensive defenceman” at the next level. He has the makeup, both in mobility and hockey IQ, to play that game.

He is first and foremost a gifted offensive player. Takes the puck end to end, can PPQB, great playmaking, place shots well and gets them through traffic.

But the last year or two, I’ve really liked watching the way he defends. He’s similar to Hughes in the way he breaks up a lot of plays early, using his mobility to get in position, reading and anticipating well, using his angles, and a quick stick, and he disrupts plays before they have a chance to even look dangerous. And then he’s lightning quick on transition, with great decision making on when to pass and when to carry and skate it out himself. One of those guys that you don’t always notice how well they’re defending until you key in on them and really watch the shifts. And then you notice a ton of really smart defensive plays.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just a reminder that 32 teams had a chance to draft these guys and passed up on it.  Some have developed really well, but we shouldn't be expecting some of them to be the equivalent of first round pick talents. 

Just now, stawns said:

I think so........he's not a kid coming in out of college, he's a veteran pro player at this point.  Not unlike Kuz

Appreciate that. Hope you’re right - at least one article this year identified him as having top 4 potential. Who do you think he’d pair well with?

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Appreciate that. Hope you’re right - at least one article this year identified him as having top 4 potential. Who do you think he’d pair well with?

I'd think OEL would make the most sense, but probably good with Wolanin too.  

Suddenly they've got too many dmen!

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd think OEL would make the most sense, but probably good with Wolanin too.  

Suddenly they've got too many dmen!

Yep. Full credit to Colliton, our depth D have been more than serviceable.

Expect OEL to return improved, seeing a forward group that’s committed to team defence, and having RT hold him accountable.