The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[yikes] ESPN Films Announces 30 for 30 Documentary “I’m Just Here for the Riot” on 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Riot

Rate this topic

Rubik

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Spin it however you want, but ordinary people got riled up and started torching their own city.

You'd expect a winning side to start rioting in celebration, not the losing side.

Before 2011 Vancouver riots were romanticized.  People looked back to the smaller '94 riot as part of that old school cool Vancouver culture.  That culture died the day we lost to the Bruins.  

Those people you saw probably just brought stuff to have good time (which included rioting stuff but I'm sure alcohol too).  

I vaguely remember hearing on the news that they found bags full of rocks, ski masks, mild explosives like fire works or flash bangs etc.

They were planning on rioting and looting. It was going to happen regardless but the fact they Laid an egg and got shut out didn't help the mob from  growing .

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Rumour is it he’s still out there somewhere 

D19029BC-CDB9-47DD-A911-B759A5B56513.jpeg

This has to be one of the funniest pics ever. First of all his arms are barely thicker than the stick. Secondly his belt looks like he had to make 5 or 6 extra holes in it to keep his pants from falling off. Thirdly I suspect that shirt is a child's size small.

As for this documentary, it doesn't need to be made. I found myself almost in the middle of it after leaving the arena in a disappointed daze. My buddy and I ducked into a Japanese restaurant until it settled down somewhat. Was weird watching it unfold on TV when it was happening just blocks away.

As far as sports riots go it wouldn't make the top ten. Twelve years after the fact it's just an unnecessary pile on.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This has to be one of the funniest pics ever. First of all his arms are barely thicker than the stick. Secondly his belt looks like he had to make 5 or 6 extra holes in it to keep his pants from falling off. Thirdly I suspect that shirt is a child's size small.

As for this documentary, it doesn't need to be made. I found myself almost in the middle of it after leaving the arena in a disappointed daze. My buddy and I ducked into a Japanese restaurant until it settled down somewhat. Was weird watching it unfold on TV when it was happening just blocks away.

As far as sports riots go it wouldn't make the top ten. Twelve years after the fact it's just an unnecessary pile on.

This does bring back memories. Prior to game 7 and the riot my buddy and I had gone to Boston and caught games 3,4 and 6. To this day Boston is my least favourite city.

The party that could have taken place after game 6. Vancouver fans in Boston had it all planned out. Everyone was going to gather at the Boston Common and celebrate. What could have been. :(

Make shift man cave in Boston hotel room. Jersey arms linked in solidarity. We are all Canucks. :canucks:........

P1000397(1).JPG

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

You guys recall where you were that day?  

My friends and I left from Canada Place where they were showing Game 7 on the big screen on the wall outside, when it was 4-0; the vibe just felt off, so we just left on the train just before the game ended and hung out in East Van for the rest of the day.  In hindsight, thankfully we trusted our gut and dipped early.

34 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

My friends and I left from Canada Place where they were showing Game 7 on the big screen on the wall outside, when it was 4-0; the vibe just felt off, so we just left on the train just before the game ended and hung out in East Van for the rest of the day.  In hindsight, thankfully we trusted our gut and dipped early.

Running away, running straight into an area getting tear gassed. Good times.

• RoughGame 1

11 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

you say that like it's a good thing

not really, i was grading in high school back then people were stoked for us to win the cup, hyped up high school kids were there and contributed and adults were drunk as f#ck and people were charged here on the island and people came prepared for it.
EDIT: one of my friends/girl - got hit in the head by some pre-ready riot person with a pipe and was in the hospital for a couple weeks

Edited by TNucks1

1 hour ago, Bell said:

The idiots that took part in the riot that day were not Canuck fans, they were hooligans and don't represent Vancouver or the fan base.  Very lazy documentary

Ah!  You've seen it already have you?  Please share for the rest of us what makes it lazy as it hasn't been released to the public yet.

13 hours ago, Pears said:

God it was bad enough that it happened when it did, but could you imagine the response if it happened in this day and age?

What makes you think that 2023 vs 2011 is a different day and age? Not trying to poke, but just wanting to understand. 

10 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Driving to work in the UK and praying that there wasn't a repeat of the 94 riot. Got to work and looked online and there it was... another riot!

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1