The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[yikes] ESPN Films Announces 30 for 30 Documentary “I’m Just Here for the Riot” on 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Riot

Rate this topic

Rubik

I hope it also highlights the good citizens who tried to stop the fights and the vandalism and help clean up during the aftermath. 

the vancouver riots are a shame but it happened. not only once but twice.

people can complain about it being made,

but it's honestly not surprising especially with the hooliganism that happened that day it was embarrassing degenerate behaviour. ESPN certainly loves those storylines.

• 1 month later...

Pretty good interview with the directors of the documentary this morning. (3rd hour of Halford and Brough) 

Probably worth a listen.  Especially if you're one of those that jumped to conclusions upon reading the title of the thread.

It makes sense we all hate hearing it brought up again to Canucks fans. It gives an already tragic ending to a wonderful cup run a horrible, bitter taste. 

But the reality is it was a terrible thing encouraged by people who were never really there for the actual game/team. Like many have said the riots were gonna happen regardless, but that also makes Van look bad and doesn't excuse anything. I get why ESPN wants to cover it, I'm sure it'll be another interesting look at the event. I hope they talk about the many people who went and helped clean up afterwards. Those were solid humans.  

So let the story be told and moved on from. I hope we never have this happen again over a hockey game. Instead when this team finally lifts that cup I'm hoping the whole province is celebrating together.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 3/24/2023 at 5:18 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

you say that like it's a good thing

No, hes stating it was inevitable and unpreventable.

Game 2 there was almost a riot going into OT.

I was down in front of CBC in the fenced area, people began rocking the fences and a guy jumped the fence with a mask tied around his face, ran down the area at the back where cops were standing and watching over everyone and he cracked a female cop across the face and kept running. These sh*t heads were here and looking to cause anarchy win or lose. Thank god Vancouver won in OT. You could feel the tension and how easily it would have been manipulated if OT didnt go our way.

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

No, hes stating it was inevitable and unpreventable.

Game 2 there was almost a riot going into OT.

I was down in front of CBC in the fenced area, people began rocking the fences and a guy jumped the fence with a mask tied around his face, ran down the area at the back where cops were standing and watching over everyone and he cracked a female cop across the face and kept running. These sh*t heads were here and looking to cause anarchy win or lose. Thank god Vancouver won in OT. You could feel the tension and how easily it would have been manipulated if OT didnt go our way.

When Vancouver people got together in the past, a mini-riot was likely to break out.  People from the '94 riot looked back like it was a cool moment in the city's history.  2011 definitely changed a lot of things.  You always hear stories about fans rioting in the streets following a victory.  Why is it that Vancouver was the only sports city to riot twice after losing the Cup Finals?  Do people think other big American cities have no anarchists roaming their streets?

• Vintage 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:28 AM, Alflives said:

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a 30 for 30.
Riots happen. It’s an easy News story because there’s a lot of nasty crap to report on. Lots of idiots with their phones filming each other doing stupid things. No real digging for the reporters to have to do. It’s all low hanging fruit.

Look at the title of the episode. “I’m Just Here For The Riot”. Easy pickin’ for the “so called” reporter. 
Same crap happened in ‘94. Same crap happens in other cities for various reasons. Idiots, from out of town, come into the city and make a mess. Not rocket science to report on that. 

I remember looking this up back when it was debated back in 2011.

Majority of those arrested were from Vancouver followed by Surrey and Burnaby.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:40 PM, Bobby James said:

It makes sense we all hate hearing it brought up again to Canucks fans. It gives an already tragic ending to a wonderful cup run a horrible, bitter taste. 

But the reality is it was a terrible thing encouraged by people who were never really there for the actual game/team. Like many have said the riots were gonna happen regardless, but that also makes Van look bad and doesn't excuse anything. I get why ESPN wants to cover it, I'm sure it'll be another interesting look at the event. I hope they talk about the many people who went and helped clean up afterwards. Those were solid humans.  

So let the story be told and moved on from. I hope we never have this happen again over a hockey game. Instead when this team finally lifts that cup I'm hoping the whole province is celebrating together.  

I am so sick of hearing about it honestly. Whenever you get in a discussion with other fans there's the inevitable "YeAh bUt yOu gUys RiOT". Exponentially more people helped clean up the next day than the shitheads who came specifically to cause trouble win-or-lose and the room-temperature IQ morons who got swept up in it, but because it was documented in stunning HD its going to live with us forever. 

Fine we're rioters. Then so are Habs fans. Edmonton fans are racists. Flames fans are sexual predators, etc. There are many cases of people in every fanbase acting reprehensibly.

People used to steal cars, planes, there's riots a few times per year in Europe, South America, and Africa. 

The Vancouver riot is a laughable topic to be honest. I was in the middle of downtown that whole evening. Kids flipping a Car2Go was the extreme end of it ::D

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 5:53 PM, McBackup said:

Oh boy, can’t wait to hear about this again. Never gets old. Next I’ll get to hear someone from outside BC tell me that it has quite literally never stopped pouring rain in Vancouver.

And ESPN is producing. They’re known for their stellar hockey content anyway.

Finding NHL content on ESPN was nonexistent for years. I’m not entirely sure if that’s still the case, but, THIS is the best they could come up with? 

Lol four pages of people complaining about something they have not seen."Why does the whole world hate us?"  Because you make it easy for them.

I've seen the doc. Its not bad. If there is a main theme, its not crapping on Vancouver but examining internet shaming and its consequences.

Edited by skeena1
A word.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1