The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will The Canucks Make the Playoffs Next Year?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But it’s not really. Yes every draft has busts but the elite level talent always exists in the top 10. The higher you pick in that top 10 the more options your scouts have. It’s only a good thing.

This draft has a very talented top 6. Players that could all be top 3 picks in other drafts. Draft position can and does make a difference. We don’t get Petey or Hughes at any old pick. 

Philly took Nolan Patrick at 2. He’s a complete bust. We got Petey at 5. Detroit took Filip Zadina at 6. He’s also a bust. We got Hughes at 7. 

Two busts drafted in the top 6 in back to back drafts. It’s a crapshoot every draft. Even top 3 guys can bust.  There are 4 can’t miss prospects in this draft. All the other prospects have question marks. Oliver Moore could be taken at 10 and be better than Zach Benson at 5. 

• Cheers 3

Part of me wants the Canucks to lose in order to not screw up our draft standing any further.

But another part of me really wants them to beat Cowtown and help ruin their chances of making the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

I know we all want to tank but a win tonight ruins Calgary's chances big time and there's nothing sweeter than that, we can lose out afterwards. Toffoli has been on fire and you know he's going to burn us again for a hat trick or something silly.

Kravstov and Garland with Petey is a real ballsy move by Tocchet. I get it, they've both been looking good at times in games but that's a big move. Beauvillier has looked rubbish lately, deserves a scratch, and let McDonough back in. Let's see if it pays off or not. I expect JT and Boeser to carry the team tonight.

Looking forward to see those D pairings, I like Hughes and Burroughs to be honest (we just need a rich man's Burroughs and we're set) and splitting the kids with the veterans is a nice move.

6-4 Canucks

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

I don't think the bolded statement is correct. I believe that bonuses are paid on July 1 of the contract year. Myers can be traded anytime after July 1 and the acquiring team will only have to pay 1 million in actual money while getting credit for his $6 million cap hit. EDIT: [I was incorrect. Apparently, Myers negotiated a Sept. 1 bonus payment date when he originally signed with the Canucks. Another mess up by Benning.]

Myers has already submitted his 10-team no-trade list. That leaves 21 other teams. Not sure if that includes any teams looking for help to reach the cap floor, but it probably includes at lest one or two teams that care enough about actual money to find Myers attractive at an actual cost of only 1 million.

Also, Myers could of course be asked to waive. There is a realistic chance he might not be in the top 6 next year if he stays and he might be willing to waive to go somewhere where he would be in the top 6 or top 4 like Arizona or Chicago.

I am not saying that trading Myers is a slam-dunk but I think it is better than 50-50.

Yes hes pretty much gone

if we eat 50% of the salary , it can happen, and we take a 3mil hit. For the good of the team

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not surprising after Kuzmenko got the Tortorella treatment on the bench last night.

I don’t see how this is sustainable. At a certain point he is just going to be the player he is. You might need to shelter him a bit but if he’s getting 30 goals you can’t really complain.

Theseason is over.
We need to tank. 
Tocchet wants to know if Kravtsov can elevate his game with Petey. 

And so on..

From Tocchet's presser it sounds like he wants a better forecheck up front and Kuz-Petey to score different ways.

Garland makes sense, he's one of our best forecheckers and hustlers. I wonder how Joshua or Aman would go alongside Petey and Kuzmenko though. Don't think Kravstov will spend very long on the top line if he doesn't have the puck much but Garland and Petey have worked before, if they can get the puck on the forecheck it'll do wonders.

Going into next season who knows what our top 6 is going to look like. I think Petey, Miller and Boeser, I'd think Kuzmenko fits in too but we need two good grinders to play alongside those skilled guys. PDG is doing well but is he really a long term fit? Beauvillier has been dreadful lately, and Garland is forever snake bitten. We'll probably just spend all season rotating our wingers around to be honest.

Big wild card - does an Abby guy like Hoglander or Karlsson get a shot?

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

From Tocchet's presser it sounds like he wants a better forecheck up front and Kuz-Petey to score different ways.

Garland makes sense, he's one of our best forecheckers and hustlers. I wonder how Joshua or Aman would go alongside Petey and Kuzmenko though. Don't think Kravstov will spend very long on the top line if he doesn't have the puck much but Garland and Petey have worked before, if they can get the puck on the forecheck it'll do wonders.

Going into next season who knows what our top 6 is going to look like. I think Petey, Miller and Boeser, I'd think Kuzmenko fits in too but we need two good grinders to play alongside those skilled guys. PDG is doing well but is he really a long term fit? Beauvillier has been dreadful lately, and Garland is forever snake bitten. We'll probably just spend all season rotating our wingers around to be honest.

Joshua played a few games with Petey and Kuz, but found very little chemistry... played a lot better with Aman...

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Joshua played a few games with Petey and Kuz, but found very little chemistry... played a lot better with Aman...

Yeah it was a shame, for some reason PDG and Miller really read each other well on the cycle so he's stuck there. We need to find a similar grinder for Petey. I think Aman played up a little but not much, wouldn't mind seeing what he can do there. I wonder about Studnicka? Obviously Mikheyev owns that spot next year anyway.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah it was a shame, for some reason PDG and Miller really read each other well on the cycle so he's stuck there. We need to find a similar grinder for Petey. I think Aman played up a little but not much, wouldn't mind seeing what he can do there. I wonder about Studnicka? Obviously Mikheyev owns that spot next year anyway.

If you could describe everything we need on Pettey’s other wing, a big fast forechecking puck hound that can pass the puck and go to the net, you are describing what we hope Podkolzin turns into. The perfect winger for them is here, just needs more development. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Philly took Nolan Patrick at 2. He’s a complete bust. We got Petey at 5. Detroit took Filip Zadina at 6. He’s also a bust. We got Hughes at 7. 

Two busts drafted in the top 6 in back to back drafts. It’s a crapshoot every draft. Even top 3 guys can bust.  There are 4 can’t miss prospects in this draft. All the other prospects have question marks. Oliver Moore could be taken at 10 and be better than Zach Benson at 5. 

To be fair the kid had serious chronic migraine issues. If not for that, he would be a heck of an nhler player right now. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

If you could describe everything we need on Pettey’s other wing, a big fast forechecking puck hound that can pass the puck and go to the net, you are describing what we hope Podkolzin turns into. The perfect winger for them is here, just needs more development. 

Podz will be that player.  The last 25 games of last year he was frikin unreal.  I was expecting so much more this year.   

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Garland forechecks hard but i dont see him winning many battles. 

The line needs a Burrows 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

30 minutes (interrupted by commercials) will hardly do it justice, they should do a special edition of After Hours, make it 2 hours long, and bump the news broadcasts for the night.  :towel:

Maybe even extend into the post-game analysis segment of HNIC, since nobody gives a f**k about Ron McLean's opinions anyways. :lol:

If the NHL had any class they would have done the same thing for Don Cherry.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

For this team getting a higher pick can only be a good thing.

It’s teams that end up in endless tanking/rebuilding cycles that it’s bad for. I don’t think that’s a worry here.

This is a one off hard tank to reset for next season and hopefully add a young superstar.

Exactly! Canucks will be lucky to hand onto #8. Many fans discount the importance of draft position and trot examples of where it did not. For e the bottom line is putting Patrick Allvin in the best possible position come draft day. I trust his judgement over most posters. What should excite Canuck fans is the strength of the existing core. Last game the TOI was very balanced. I wish Tochett had done more of that starting 2 weeks ago. 

Your very right DeNiro this tank is a one off. How could anyone look at the progress made by management this year and think negatively for next year. Tank on! A lottery blow out and Canucks get Bedard!

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can cherry pick NHL drafting history to support such an attitude all day long. I don't see the point. You assemble a scouting team, do the home work and then draft. Their ability is what counts. At that you are putting projections onto 18 year olds so there is no guarantees. All the same I want Allvin with the best options he can get come draft day.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You can cherry pick NHL drafting history to support such an attitude all day long. I don't see the point. You assemble a scouting team, do the home work and then draft. Their ability is what counts. At that you are putting projections onto 18 year olds so there is no guarantees. All the same I want Allvin with the best options he can get come draft day.  

I wish there was a way to see the percentage of top 10 picks becoming busts, regular NHLers and stars. When we went through the Virtanen and Juolevi busts it didn't look good but then Petey and Hughes made up for them, but I wonder what the average is for a top 10 pick?