The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with the Miller sentiment. He was probably quite frustrated at his team playing pond hockey and the coaches not even doing anything about it. Which led to his outbursts. 

Horvat didn’t seem to care as he was the one who benefited most from the pond hockey and pumped up his stats to get his retirement contract. I believe this is what led to the rift in the room. At that point, both Boudreau and Horvat had to go. 

Ya. Bear pretty much said as much. Whether RT bringing in a level of accountability or Bo being traded there seemed to be a more united roster. I realize that the post season media scrum is an opportunity for serious ass kissing but most of the key players had thoughtful comments, especially Miller. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pretty hard to get the best results from your team when your GM is actively sabotaging you.  Rutherford should have been fired on the spot the minute it became apparent that he was simply unwilling to conduct himself appropriately.

So according to you Bruce was a child and had to be protected from the big bad wolf? 
Do you really believe that yourself? 
Bruce is a grown up man that knows every bit of business in NHL you can imagine.

So if he isn’t up to the task he wasn’t meant to ve a coach.

• There it is 3

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Ya. Bear pretty much said as much. Whether RT bringing in a level of accountability or Bo being traded there seemed to be a more united roster. I realize that the post season media scrum is an opportunity for serious ass kissing but most of the key players had thoughtful comments, especially Miller. 

To me, Bo acted like a professional, like a captain under a floundering coach.  Miller acted like a child and was clearly doing it to get the coach fired.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pretty hard to get the best results from your team when your GM is actively sabotaging you.  Rutherford should have been fired on the spot the minute it became apparent that he was simply unwilling to conduct himself appropriately.

Nope. Your opinion is off. JR/PA are building a team like the ones Gillis did. Some fans, like yourself, may not like how they do things, but the team will be way better for those choices. 
Schenn is a great guy and leader. Love to have him back, but on our third pairing. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

So according to you Bruce was a child and had to be protected from the big bad wolf? 
Bruce is a grown up man that knows every bit of business in NHL you can imagine.

Bruce owns his own hockey team back east that his son coaches. It was my impression that Bruce saw that his days were numbered and he was willing to play out the string. Not as if he was short of money. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And this is exactly why our owner needs to keep his snout out of hockey decisions. Saravelli reported that JR wanted to move on from Bruce last summer but the owner said no. The mess that followed during the season was predicted by management. Our owner got in the way. 
We all loved Bruce. But clearly he needed to be replaced last summer, when JR wanted to. 

This is 100% true. JR was even quoted as saying he thought Boudreau only had the one year contract. Aquilini never even told him about the option to extend it one more year. That tells you JR wanted to move on from Bruce in the summer and bring in his own guy. Aquilini wouldn’t let him do it. Which was the start of all of the problems. 

This is 100% on the owner. Sane with all these ridiculous contracts that Benning signed. Aquilini okayed all of it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Bruce owns his own hockey team back east that his son coaches. It was my impression that Bruce saw that his days were numbered and he was willing to play out the string. Not as if he was short of money. 

Agree completely.  It was painfully obvious he was just running out the clock.  Crappy way for a good coach to end his career

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I'm saying that Rutherford was a child when ownership told him not to fire a coach that had been successful, and instead of acting like a professional, he intentionally set up Boudreau to fail.  Ownership is to blame for not firing this worthless sack of **** the minute it became clear the damage he was going to cause, and Schenn should have cleaned Rutherford's clock.  At least he was man enough to stand up and tell that dirtbag that his contact was not acceptable. 

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rutherford never told Bruce to play pond hockey. That’s all on Bruce. 

Boudreau should have been fired in the summer and replaced by Tocchet at that time. Then we wouldn’t have been playing pond hockey for 5 months. We probably make the playoffs too. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is 100% true. JR was even quoted as saying he thought Boudreau only had the one year contract. Aquilini never even told him about the option to extend it one more year. That tells you JR wanted to move on from Bruce in the summer and bring in his own guy. Aquilini wouldn’t let him do it. Which was the start of all of the problems. 

This is 100% on the owner. Sane with all these ridiculous contracts that Benning signed. Aquilini okayed all of it. 

And now Aquilini needs to write the cheque to buyout OEL. And he needs hold his tongue when, after Myers gets his 5 mil bonus, to allow that trade too. 

• There it is 1

I really hate that we always have to seek out reasons "why" after the fact.

Bruce pulled this team out of a hole and gave them a confidence boost after that. Sure, there came a point that more was required and the coaching shift was much needed to give direction. But there are so many things that factor in when a team succeeds or fails. Demko being off is huge for us...we need him. Most good teams DO need a top notch goaltender if they're going to get anywhere. There was obviously some stuff in the room (happens...frustration settles in) and things needed a reset. 

The team is finding its way over time..."it's a process"  is something I hate but it rings true. It's not often a team just slots in names and takes off. It takes some work to get things fine tuned.

I feel we still need some help but this team is learning through the adversity. I'd be shocked if we see a repeat of the dismal starts we've experienced. With JT at the helm, Petey, Quinn and Demko performing at peak level, Brock picking his game up again, etc. I feel we'll see something different. If anything, this team knows how to battle back.

I feel (foolishly?) optimistic. Again.

But water under the bridge in respect to "blame" or reasons why. Changes nothing (except to learn from it...and I hope everyone in place from management on down has).

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm saying that Rutherford was a child when ownership told him not to fire a coach that had been successful, and instead of acting like a professional, he intentionally set up Boudreau to fail.  Ownership is to blame for not firing this worthless sack of **** the minute it became clear the damage he was going to cause, and Schenn should have cleaned Rutherford's clock.  At least he was man enough to stand up and tell that dirtbag that his contact was not acceptable. 

You should relax and watch the Canucks be a winner.

BB was the wrong coach for an up and coming team.

• There it is 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Rutherford never told Bruce to play pond hockey. That’s all on Bruce. 

Boudreau should have been fired in the summer and replaced by Tocchet at that time. Then we wouldn’t have been playing pond hockey for 5 months. We probably make the playoffs too. 

Rutherford did neglect to fix the blueline and got rid of the competent assistants. He then proceeded to spew his garbage to the media.  Bottom line is that his misconduct was not something that any player should tolerate, and should have been grounds for immediate termination of employment.  The team won't succeed until this waste of oxygen is replaced with someone who deserves respect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd love to see them become a winner.  Hiring professional management is a necessary step for that to happen.

You got it already.

You should remember that JR only is an hired as an interim. Not for the long run.

Edited by Timråfan

Just now, Timråfan said:

You got it already.

You should remember that JR only is an interim GM. Not the GM for the long run.

You're delusional if you think the way Rutherford conducts himself even remotely approaches an acceptable standard.  The entire management team needs to be fired in order to bring the franchise back to respectability.  It's important that this is done sooner rather than later before Rutherford does irreparable damage.

Just now, King Heffy said:

You're delusional if you think the way Rutherford conducts himself even remotely approaches an acceptable standard.  The entire management team needs to be fired in order to bring the franchise back to respectability.  It's important that this is done sooner rather than later before Rutherford does irreparable damage.

You don’t get it.

PA is the GM and runs the daily routine.

JR is more like the adviser. 

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I really hate that we always have to seek out reasons "why" after the fact.

Bruce pulled this team out of a hole and gave them a confidence boost after that. Sure, there came a point that more was required and the coaching shift was much needed to give direction. But there are so many things that factor in when a team succeeds or fails. Demko being off is huge for us...we need him. Most good teams DO need a top notch goaltender if they're going to get anywhere. There was obviously some stuff in the room (happens...frustration settles in) and things needed a reset. 

The team is finding its way over time..."it's a process"  is something I hate but it rings true. It's not often a team just slots in names and takes off. It takes some work to get things fine tuned.

I feel we still need some help but this team is learning through the adversity. I'd be shocked if we see a repeat of the dismal starts we've experienced. With JT at the helm, Petey, Quinn and Demko performing at peak level, Brock picking his game up again, etc. I feel we'll see something different. If anything, this team knows how to battle back.

I feel (foolishly?) optimistic. Again.

But water under the bridge in respect to "blame" or reasons why. Changes nothing (except to learn from it...and I hope everyone in place from management on down has).

I like your approach better Deb. Team depth is improving and maybe we get a 'ringer' from the pool. Miller, Petey, Quinn and Demko are the core. Hopefully next year Kozmenko and Hronek step up to that status. IMHO we need 2 more beyond that point. After that it is all about fleshing out the roster for serious contention. When you think about what Benning faced when he took over it is like night and day. Emphasis still rests on the d-side. Demmer cannot play 65 games a year and remain healthy enough to star in playoffs. If the target is serious Cup contention in 2 years then Silovs should have arrived to help Demko. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm surprised by all the people on here who don't understand that a leader must be consistent with everybody.  

Look, Tocchet said early on that he has certain rules that are non-negotiable.  If you don't follow these rules, you ride the pine.  This is exactly what happened to Kuzmenko and if Tocchet didn't enforce his non-negotiables with Kuz, he would loose all credibility with the team.  It's leadership 101.  I'm glad that they hired a coach that understands this and brings a little backbone to the club.  This is exactly what they need.  It's not a country club. 

That's right. They can go start one on Long Island! :lol: 

Half kidding aside, I completely agree with you. There has to be accountability and it starts with Tocchet. 

• Thanks 1