The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'm not for trading Petey, as I think, as we are starting to assemble a good team. Trading Petey, to me at least, means rebuilding. Don't want that, unless a Carlsson with a few juicy add on are involved, and even then I'm apprehensive. 

Aquaman would never allow this to happen, he's just too important for the overall marketing/image of this team and FA cares as much about that as he does winning.  For all intents and purposes Petey is the present and the future of the club no disrespect to the other players. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

"Even with our taxes, not sure he's earned more then Pasta" ... is what you're referring too.  

Pastrnak has produced at a much higher level than EP has so far in his career, certainly scoring a lot more goals.   He's 26, just scored 60 and 113 points, 

most years that's good enough for a Hart, Richard and Pearson  (See Mathews).    No I'm not sure EPs done more, not sure he has earned more then Pasta's 11.25, even with the tax differences.    Are you?    By the time he was 20, he was outproducing EP.   And did make the team as an 18 year old.   The position is a valid consideration.    Goals of course, weighted higher too.     Pasta giveaways are gaudy though, this year anyways.    Still think 10.5-11 is fair.    

Pasta is a winger, isn't he...

It will be interesting to see, where they eventually meet...

Think it may be put on hold, to see how much the cap rises... its the biggest deal JR/PA will have to negotiate, maybe during their entire premiership with Canucks...

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Aquaman would never allow this to happen, he's just too important for the overall marketing/image of this team and FA cares as much about that as he does winning.  For all intents and purposes Petey is the present and the future of the club no disrespect to the other players. 

Not only that, if he really wants the team to win for his dad, he hardly has time to start a new rebuild by letting go of his most important player. 
And yes you are spot on, he IS the face of the franchise and represent the future, just as the Sedins did. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Not only that, if he really wants the team to win for his dad, he hardly has time to start a new rebuild by letting go of his most important player. 
And yes you are spot on, he IS the face of the franchise and represent the future, just as the Sedins did. 

Maybe Aqua needs to understand, the team is never going to win a cup unless it's built properly. Looking for short cuts just makes it more likely that Dad will never see a cup in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe Aqua needs to understand, the team is never going to win a cup unless it's built properly. Looking for short cuts just makes it more likely that Dad will never see a cup in Vancouver.

That depends on the eyes that sees... they were very close in 2011, but yes you normally have to go to the bottom, and then get lucky in order to rise to the top...

Being screwed in this garbage lottery system doesn't help neither. 

Edited by spook007

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There's almost no incentive for Petey and his agent to push for a deal this summer.  

Agreed. September seems likely though….wait as long as possible for other contracts to be signed (to set precedence) without risking an injury (or step back in production) once the season starts. 

Negotiating from his career 100pt season is his incentive to close the deal before next season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

"Even with our taxes, not sure he's earned more then Pasta" ... is what you're referring too.  

Pastrnak has produced at a much higher level than EP has so far in his career, certainly scoring a lot more goals.   He's 26, just scored 60 and 113 points, 

most years that's good enough for a Hart, Richard and Pearson  (See Mathews).    No I'm not sure EPs done more, not sure he has earned more then Pasta's 11.25, even with the tax differences.    Are you?    By the time he was 20, he was outproducing EP.   And did make the team as an 18 year old.   The position is a valid consideration.    Goals of course, weighted higher too.     Pasta giveaways are gaudy though, this year anyways.    Still think 10.5-11 is fair.    

if you don't think players factor in how much they actually earn then everyone wouldn't be lining up to sign in the sunshine states or low tax city. teams and teammates makes a significant difference.. EP probably could have made the team at 18 but he choose not to. having linemates that are well over a ppg u don't think makes a difference? u can hate marchand all you want.. bergeron and marchand will be better than any player EP will ever play with in his career. EP legit makes his linemate better. i'm not sure the same can be said about pasta.. and we are going to see whether he can do it by himself when boston no longer have legit top line centers.

I dont know if re-signing EP will be all that easy.

He doesn't seem like a Tocchet type to me.

He's hard enough on himself, he's a carrot guy that will never need to recieve the stick. 

He also has talent above anything Rick had. He saw how the coach treated Kuz ....I bet it gives him some pause for consideration.

Well he has until the trade deadline to make a deal or we trade him for the sun and the moon.

That said I would be happy giving him double digit millions to stay (10M +) so if he don't want that there's no hope so might as well move on.

And that said I suspect, that since he's not a born rich America is BIS diva like Tkachuk that it should be possible to come to a reasonable deal, especially when reasonable is widely agreed to be more than 10 million a year! 

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

Agreed. September seems likely though….wait as long as possible for other contracts to be signed (to set precedence) without risking an injury (or step back in production) once the season starts. 

Negotiating from his career 100pt season is his incentive to close the deal before next season.

It's about risk. He could hurt himself in game 1 and loose value. He could excel and get more.

If I was his agent, with 100 points in the back pocket, and 10 million plus on the table, I would consider that a safe, yet high point, to sign a career contract.

5 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

It's about risk. He could hurt himself in game 1 and loose value. He could excel and get more.

If I was his agent, with 100 points in the back pocket, and 10 million plus on the table, I would consider that a safe, yet high point, to sign a career contract.

Agreed. Not sure if he’d want to hedge with a shorter contract though

1 minute ago, BabychStache said:

I don't know about your assessment. Tocchet played on the 1993 Cup winning Penguins team and outscored Ron Francis and Jagr. 

Then he moved over to LA and played alongside the Great One and outscored Jari Kurri. 

He played hard nosed and got a lot of PIMS but he was a talented player and knew how to work with 2 of the top 5 offensive players of all time. Petey also went on a tear following the coach change and put himself into Selke talks. I think Petey continues to elevate with him coaching. 

Kuzmenko could be held to a higher standard than he was playing away from the puck. Tocchet may see something special in him where he can help elevate his line mates more by playing more physical as a winger... just like he did himself. 

I find a lot of good players dont go on to be good coaches. Roy and Gretzky for example....you dont get better players than that.

Toch has a lot to prove.

I find Toch types as great teammates. Not unlike Miller they are get leaders on the ice. 

Behind the bench is a different beast. Have to be able to motivate all types of players. Assests like EP and QH are move valuable than any coach, that's why they get paid like they do. Toch better make sure he can be more than just a hardnosed oldschool type. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well it's been 11 years and we've been in the playoffs what twice in that time? Pretty good example that short cuts don't work.

I do think the lottery system needs a re-jig.

Don't disagree, but do feel where we are now, we got to see, what they can achieve. 
In saying that, if they don't feel they can give it a proper push, next dead line would be the perfect time to see off the family silver (one could argue, that this TDL was the time to do it, with the draft being so deep), as there are lots of valuable pieces, that could bring in a massive haul. To testart a rebuild.
I'm not in that boat, but we all see it differently. 

15 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I don't know about your assessment. Tocchet played on the 1993 Cup winning Penguins team and outscored Ron Francis and Jagr. 

Then he moved over to LA and played alongside the Great One and outscored Jari Kurri. 

He played hard nosed and got a lot of PIMS but he was a talented player and knew how to work with 2 of the top 5 offensive players of all time. Petey also went on a tear following the coach change and put himself into Selke talks. I think Petey continues to elevate with him coaching. 

Kuzmenko could be held to a higher standard than he was playing away from the puck. Tocchet may see something special in him where he can help elevate his line mates more by playing more physical as a winger... just like he did himself. 

I agree.  Tocchet played with Wayne and Mario.  So not sure why someone would think Petey is not a Tocchet guy.  That is a weird assessment.  Tocchet knows he needs superstars to win the cup.  He knows this firsthand as he played with 5 of the greatest players of all time in Wayne, Mario, Jagr, Francis and Kurri...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont know if re-signing EP will be all that easy.

He doesn't seem like a Tocchet type to me.

He's hard enough on himself, he's a carrot guy that will never need to recieve the stick. 

He also has talent above anything Rick had. He saw how the coach treated Kuz ....I bet it gives him some pause for consideration.

Have you seen any where that Tocchet has said anything bad about Petey? Considering Petey is fine with PK, forechecking, and setting up and scoring on offence. He's even not afraid (but fans are) to lay the body on other players. I'd think he's close to ideal of what RikToc wants.

• There it is 2