The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PDF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2) | Golden Knights win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2023 at 11:00 PM

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention the tantrum their gutless flopper they have wearing the C will throw.  The entire team has a reputation for diving and the refs need to send a message that they need to start playing like men if they want to get the benefit of the doubt.

I expect a flurry of PP's next game for the Oilers.  I am sure they are talking about it right now at NHL headquarters.  Vegas really need to be diligent on not giving away any PP's.  If they can hold them to around 2 PP's per game they should easily win the next 2 games.  Vegas had 5 even strength goals tonight, so they shouldn't have a problem scoring the next 2 games with Skinner looking like Martin Brochu...

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I expect a flurry of PP's next game for the Oilers.  I am sure they are talking about it right now at NHL headquarters.  Vegas really need to be diligent on not giving away any PP's.  If they can hold them to around 2 PP's per game they should easily win the next 2 games.  Vegas had 5 even strength goals tonight, so they shouldn't have a problem scoring the next 2 games with Skinner looking like Martin Brochu...

The league absolutely wants Vegas to advance, not a nameless city like Edmonton.  Just because you don't like the Oilers doesn't make them Bettman's darling.

If Vegas continues to play like they did in game 3, they will win.  Super disciplined and pushed the pace all game.  If they play the way they did in game 2, they will lose.  Super... undisciplined and mailed it in halfway through the blowout.  A complete reversal of both teams from games 2 to 3.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The league absolutely wants Vegas to advance, not a nameless city like Edmonton.  Just because you don't like the Oilers doesn't make them Bettman's darling.

If Vegas continues to play like they did in game 3, they will win.  Super disciplined and pushed the pace all game.  If they play the way they did in game 2, they will lose.  Super... undisciplined and mailed it in halfway through the blowout.  A complete reversal of both teams from games 2 to 3.

Connor McDavid is the face of the NHL.  I am sure Bettman would love for him to win the cup.  Having said that, I am sure he would like Vegas to win the cup as well, probably more than Edmonton and McDavid.  With only 2 PP's tonight, it seems Edmonton is on their way out.

I said in my last post that if Vegas can focus on one thing - stay out of the box - they'll win every game. Edmonton are a one-trick pony. McDavid is absolutely trash 5-on-5, and Draisaitl is good everywhere but again, you take away those PPs and you see the goals disappear. Their big 3 of Drai, McDavid and Bouchard were a combined -6 on the night. They are just such a bad 5-on-5 team.

I'd like to think the PPs dry up in the later stages of the playoffs, we never see this many powerplays but clearly the league wants more scoring and these powerplays are favouring top-end talent like no other year I can remember. Usually in the first round there's maybe 2 or 3 PPs per team and even that dwindles down. Hopefully the refs have been told to put away the whistles from now on.

In any case, Edmonton are 0/2, don't get any momentum on continuous powerplays and they get roasted for 5 against, none on the PP either. 

It's simple - take their foot off the pedal a bit for Vegas, don't go into hits/challenges so ruthlessly and they'll be more disciplined, less penalties and less goals against, and that's exactly what they did differently. If they play this way, which I'm sure they can, Edmonton have no hope in hell of getting back into the series - they're just so one-dimensional. Just shows how far a good powerplay can carry you but it shouldn't be enough to win you a cup, you need depth and need to be a good grinding 5 on 5 team.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Connor McDavid is the face of the NHL.  I am sure Bettman would love for him to win the cup.  Having said that, I am sure he would like Vegas to win the cup as well, probably more than Edmonton and McDavid.  With only 2 PP's tonight, it seems Edmonton is on their way out.

Edmonton is a decent team.  They've had some success in the playoffs despite having a weak defence and even weaker goaltending.  Last year was the same thing.  Edmonton isn't like Toronto, though.  Their best players can absolutely steal the show and win games.  Draisaitl can score against Vegas.  McDavid is clearly not playing his best (maybe injured), but he can score against Vegas.  Staying out of the box and stopping those two are not easy.

As a neutral, this has been a good series to watch, despite the blowouts and the dirty antics.  I'm okay with it going 7.

• Cheers 1

Frankie Corrado said it best, he's really on-point with his analyses, to say that Edmonton just had a lot of one-and-done chances to start the game, couldn't get any traction, Vegas just shut the door 5 on 5 as expected, Edmonton's secondary/tertiary scorers didn't bring enough and their leaky defence got them behind the 8 ball too quickly. Lack of powerplays are a bad excuse for the two best players in the league but sadly when you look at their stats 5-on-5 even in the regular season, they're top of the league but not by a long way.  Good point about how if Vegas get ahead early, McDavid and Draisaitl try to do too much chasing the game. It does work sometimes - you'll see them score a lot of clutch late game goals, but you see Connor especially try to dangle 4 guys at the blueline too often. That would be my only criticism of him - late in games when they're trailing, he makes the dumb play to take on too many defencemen. Sure, he gets some highlight-reel goals out of it, but not against a solid defence like Vegas, and there's a time and place for those runs. You'd like to see more team-play and passing from these guys. Maybe they just don't trust their team-mates but it would really keep Vegas' defence honest.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Face sure. Wanting him to win over a new American market with its success from their stupid expansion draft rules...doubtful. The owners and Bettman want more teams. They make huge money off expansion. 

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Edmonton is a decent team.  They've had some success in the playoffs despite having a weak defence and even weaker goaltending.  Last year was the same thing.  Edmonton isn't like Toronto, though.  Their best players can absolutely steal the show and win games.  Draisaitl can score against Vegas.  McDavid is clearly not playing his best (maybe injured), but he can score against Vegas.  Staying out of the box and stopping those two are not easy.

As a neutral, this has been a good series to watch, despite the blowouts and the dirty antics.  I'm okay with it going 7.

Absolutely want the Oilers to beat Vegas. In the first 5 minutes of the game you could see the Oilers were off their game. I'll give Vegas some credit as they played very well in the neutral zone. Oilers passing was simply off. On the Vegas 3rd goal Nurse went for a skate out of the d-zone when they turned the puck and Vegas scored. Maybe the forward should have covered for him but his reads can be sketchy at times. 

• Cheers 1