The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What do the Boston Bruins do in the offseason?

Try to get Bergeron back for 1 more year, maybe even Krejci if the cap works. They still have a really solid D core signed and goaltending locked in for next year. They'll need to work on their bottom 6 since lots of people need to be resigned.  

Then run it back. 

I don't like the Bruins, but they had a grossly successful regular season. So if I was them I'd run it again while I can. 

The rebuild is likely coming (unless they pull off a wild re-tool with Pasta and Macvoy as the core), so for now give it another shot while the team is really good and gels well together.  

I think Bergeron is done. Krejci only came back this year to help the Bruins make a run, and I doubt he'll be back either. Foligno may be gone, too. Orlov is a free agent and will have offers from all over. Boston had a once in a lifetime season that they will not duplicate next year.  No 1st and 2nd in 2023, no 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2024 and no 2nd and 4th in 2025. To me it is clear that the rebuild has to start this offseason, when they need to move some assets for picks and prospects. There's not much promise in Boston's current prospects cupboard. This year was supposed to be Boston going all in to win the Cup and the fact that they were dumped in the first round coupled with their stars aging out means they need to begin acquiring and developing the next wave of Bruins. Won't be easy.

• There it is 1

15 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Try to get Bergeron back for 1 more year, maybe even Krejci if the cap works. They still have a really solid D core signed and goaltending locked in for next year. They'll need to work on their bottom 6 since lots of people need to be resigned.  

Then run it back. 

I don't like the Bruins, but they had a grossly successful regular season. So if I was them I'd run it again while I can. 

The rebuild is likely coming (unless they pull off a wild re-tool with Pasta and Macvoy as the core), so for now give it another shot while the team is really good and gels well together.  

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Ya I think they run it back. They got caught it happens choked in the 1st. They will just be hungrier next year. 

Maybe they take a stab at Miller. 

1st 2025 un protected + Coyle + Lysell + Beecher

They have 11 players coming off the books and less than 6 mil in cap space

Bergeron and Krejci are likely to retire

Swayman is an RFA

Their prospect pool is almost non-existent.

Traded away plenty of picks the past couple seasons along with the upcoming drafts as well.

Pastrnak is entering his 10th season 1/2 way if not more than halfway through his career already. 

They have no way to improve, they have no 1st this draft or next. No 3rd next draft and no 4th or 5th the following season.

They should rebuild. F*** the season that just happened, 2 of the most important pieces in that forward group will be gone AND one of Swayman or Ullmark. Bertuzzi, Orlov, Hathaway, Nosek, Foligno… all gone next season. They went all in on Bergeron and Krejci’s last season. It was a historic regular season and a historic collapse in the post season.

They cannot get better, they are only going to get worse. The more they hang onto the “what coulda been” like Gillis and FA did after 2010-11 the uglier it will get. 

Go full tank, sell off everything, win a lottery and start the next 20 year era of Boston. 

What remains of what will now be the Pastrnak era will be less than 10 years and will never reach contending status due to the severe shortage of talent and youth. Just like what happened right here infront of our very own f***ing eyes.

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

They have 11 players coming off the books and less than 6 mil in cap space

Bergeron and Krejci are likely to retire

Swayman is an RFA

Their prospect pool is almost non-existent.

Traded away plenty of picks the past couple seasons along with the upcoming drafts as well.

Pastrnak is entering his 10th season 1/2 way if not more than halfway through his career already. 

They have no way to improve, they have no 1st this draft or next. No 3rd next draft and no 4th or 5th the following season.

They should rebuild. F*** the season that just happened, 2 of the most important pieces in that forward group will be gone AND one of Swayman or Ullmark. Bertuzzi, Orlov, Hathaway, Nosek, Foligno… all gone next season. They went all in on Bergeron and Krejci’s last season. It was a historic regular season and a historic collapse in the post season.

They cannot get better, they are only going to get worse. The more they hang onto the “what coulda been” like Gillis and FA did after 2010-11 the uglier it will get. 

Go full tank, sell off everything, win a lottery and start the next 20 year era of Boston. 

What remains of what will now be the Pastrnak era will be less than 10 years and will never reach contending status due to the severe shortage of talent and youth. Just like what happened right here infront of our very own f***ing eyes.

We should have rebuilt in 2014 what they should do and what they will do are 2 different things. Try telling them they should rebuild after having one of the most dominant regular seasons in history. Rebuilding isn't even in their vocabulary right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

We should have rebuilt in 2014 what they should do and what they will do are 2 different things. Try telling them they should rebuild after having one of the most dominant regular seasons in history. Rebuilding isn't even in their vocabulary right now.

Indeed.  It would've made zero sense to initiate a rebuild immediately after the 2011 final.  We still won the president's trophy the following year.  We were a highly competitive team.

If, for some reason, this Boston core can't get it done during the first half of the season, they can do what Montreal did in 2022 and mail it in.  But to tank this summer....?  Madness and stupidity.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yes. There was no reason to hold onto any of the players from the 2011 core. None. 

They signed Lindholm, MacAvoy, Zacha, Pastrnak knowing full well that Bergeron was soon to retire.  They'll likely try and move Reilly, Grzelcyk or Forbort - each in the last year of their deals but other than that wouldn't expect any major change.

Last off-season Neely explained that one of the main reasons for moving on from Cassidy was that he wasn't focused enough on developing their young players.  

10 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I think you're way too doom and gloom. 

Still signed for next season up front - Pasta, Marchand, Hall, Coyle, Debrusk, Zacha. Yup Bergeron and Krejci might retire, but maybe Berg comes back for another. He's good enough still. 

On D - McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Forbort 

In Net - Ullmark

That is still a solid top 6 group of forwards (not saying they would all play in the top 6 once the roster is added to), their D is still excellent and all signed and they have a really good starter in net. 

You're acting like their best players are on a decline like it was in Van and there is no hope. Yeah they failed to wrap that first round series up, but to pivot straight to sell the whole team and rebuild seems like the wrong idea. The biggest loss upfront will be Bertuzzi (you mentioned Foligno, but he is very replaceable at this point), on D sure losing Orlov hurts. However, those were both deadline additions right(?) and they were playing great before they even came to Boston. 

In terms of improving, next season at the deadline they can go for another addition using Lysell and their 2025 1st if they wanted to (or Lysell takes a step and joins the team). This doesn't account for any UFA signings, which we have to take into account how popular an organization like Boston is to players. American city (better tax rates), a big hockey location plus the team is actually good, so you know you're going for the playoffs. 

Just looking at their team it doesn't seem all doom and gloom to me. 

The way everyone on the B's embraced Bergeron after the game, I think it's pretty evident that he's done. My guess is he let the team know beforehand, and will make the announcement after the playoffs concludes. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I think you're way too doom and gloom. 

Still signed for next season up front - Pasta, Marchand, Hall, Coyle, Debrusk, Zacha. Yup Bergeron and Krejci might retire, but maybe Berg comes back for another. He's good enough still. 

On D - McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Forbort 

In Net - Ullmark

That is still a solid top 6 group of forwards (not saying they would all play in the top 6 once the roster is added to), their D is still excellent and all signed and they have a really good starter in net. 

You're acting like their best players are on a decline like it was in Van and there is no hope. Yeah they failed to wrap that first round series up, but to pivot straight to sell the whole team and rebuild seems like the wrong idea. The biggest loss upfront will be Bertuzzi (you mentioned Foligno, but he is very replaceable at this point), on D sure losing Orlov hurts. However, those were both deadline additions right(?) and they were playing great before they even came to Boston. 

In terms of improving, next season at the deadline they can go for another addition using Lysell and their 2025 1st if they wanted to (or Lysell takes a step and joins the team). This doesn't account for any UFA signings, which we have to take into account how popular an organization like Boston is to players. American city (better tax rates), a big hockey location plus the team is actually good, so you know you're going for the playoffs. 

Just looking at their team it doesn't seem all doom and gloom to me. 

It may not seem so doom and gloom to you right now… but look down the road 2-3 years. What is coming up through their system? What picks do they have? Marchand is approaching retirement. Pastrnak will be in his 30s in a few seasons. They should be proactive, not wait and hold on to what could have been like we did. Where did that get us? 2005-2013 what did we draft and produce? Who was taking over for the twins?

Sure Boston can be a decent team next year. But contender??? I dont see it and certainly not anytime soon. So why wait until it has to hit you in the face to start a rebuild? This whole year was built around the end of Bergerons career. The last 6 drafts, they only have Swayman to show for their drafting and development.

its about being proactive and getting ahead of the problem that is already presenting itself. 

I think we can all agree Boston doesnt have much youth coming up and certainly wont the next few drafts because they sold off their 1st round picks. So why try and maintain a roster that wont be good enough to win 4 rounds? Why not accept the fact that they need to rebuild at some point in the very near future. Why not sell everything off, recoup their lost picks, add more picks and prospects, tank for a few years and build up a plethora of high end talent and get right back to competing for the next 2 decades?? Why waste the next decade of Pastrnaks career when he is absolutely positively without a f***ing doubt, now heading towards his decline.

If Pastrnak was 22-24, sure it wouldnt be a bad idea to try and build around him as he heads towards his prime… but the fact of the matter is he has hit his athletic prime, hes going to plateau and then decline. Why invest in a pending decline? Why not start over and build a future around the incline? 

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

It may not seem so doom and gloom to you right now… but look down the road 2-3 years. What is coming up through their system? What picks do they have? Marchand is approaching retirement. Pastrnak will be in his 30s in a few seasons. They should be proactive, not wait and hold on to what could have been like we did. Where did that get us? 2005-2013 what did we draft and produce? Who was taking over for the twins?

Sure Boston can be a decent team next year. But contender??? I dont see it and certainly not anytime soon. So why wait until it has to hit you in the face to start a rebuild? This whole year was built around the end of Bergerons career. The last 6 drafts, they only have Swayman to show for their drafting and development.

its about being proactive and getting ahead of the problem that is already presenting itself. 

I think we can all agree Boston doesnt have much youth coming up and certainly wont the next few drafts because they sold off their 1st round picks. So why try and maintain a roster that wont be good enough to win 4 rounds? Why not accept the fact that they need to rebuild at some point in the very near future. Why not sell everything off, recoup their lost picks, add more picks and prospects, tank for a few years and build up a plethora of high end talent and get right back to competing for the next 2 decades?? Why waste the next decade of Pastrnaks career when he is absolutely positively without a f***ing doubt, now heading towards his decline.

If Pastrnak was 22-24, sure it wouldnt be a bad idea to try and build around him as he heads towards his prime… but the fact of the matter is he has hit his athletic prime, hes going to plateau and then decline. Why invest in a pending decline? Why not start over and build a future around the incline? 

You don't do a rebuild unless it's clear your current core can't get it done.  They'll still make the playoffs next year and they deserve at least one more chance.

You also really shouldn't have to worry about a 26 year old Pastrnak declining anytime soon.  He'll be great for a long while.

The only way we're getting Carlo is giving them a 1st round pick, plus a defenceman and other prospects.

They only have $10+ million in cap space next year.

Even with the core they have, they should be able to make the playoffs. They just won't run the tables like this year.

If you had Carlo, would you let him go for scraps?