The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 James Norris Memorial Trophy finalists unveiled

Rate this topic

2023 James Norris Memorial Trophy  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the James Norris Memorial Trophy?

• Adam Fox
    • Erik Karlsson
    • Cale Makar

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

These awards are sure starting to seem like reputation awards, these days. 

Same feeling I get when I see the names. Should the likes of Brett Pesce, Jaccob Slavin and others not feature once in a awhile? Seeing as how it's the best DEFENSEman award, and whatnot. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Devron said:

Makar played 60 games shouldnt even be nominated imo

I think 60 is enough with his time on ice per game and stat totals for the season.  Just barely enough but hey Bobby Orr won his first Norris playing 46 out of 74 games and he only had 31 points...finished 4th for the Hart Trophy as well which was probably a bit much.

• Cheers 1

Makar and Fox deserve to be up there. Makar only played 60 games, but was insane with how good he was in those games, still over a point-per-game and elite defense as well.

Weird as it is, Karlsson will probably win because he hit 101 points and not 99 points.

49 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same feeling I get when I see the names. Should the likes of Brett Pesce, Jaccob Slavin and others not feature once in a awhile? Seeing as how it's the best DEFENSEman award, and whatnot. 

Some of those names are amazing defensively, but they actually lack on the offensive side, which I do think has become a vital part of the perfect defenseman. Guys like Fox and now Makar emulate a defenseman who can do it all. Karlsson, at least this season, does not. He was a rover this year, not a defenseman.

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Makar and Fox deserve to be up there. Makar only played 60 games, but was insane with how good he was in those games, still over a point-per-game and elite defense as well.

Weird as it is, Karlsson will probably win because he hit 101 points and not 99 points.

As for Josi...

ImpeccableShamelessAtlanticbluetang-size

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Karlsson will run away with it and you just know Makar and Fox will be nominated yearly for the next 10 years. Hopefully someone like Luke Hughes knocks them off their podium eventually.

Nobody outside of Lukes inner circle has anything good to say about him. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Some of those names are amazing defensively, but they actually lack on the offensive side, which I do think has become a vital part of the perfect defenseman. Guys like Fox and now Makar emulate a defenseman who can do it all. Karlsson, at least this season, does not. He was a rover this year, not a defenseman.

I think that’s the vital part to Hart and Art Ross trophies. The Norris should feature defensemen who’re capable of suppressing offence more-so than generating it. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that’s the vital part to Hart and Art Ross trophies. The Norris should feature defensemen who’re capable of suppressing offence more-so than generating it. 

Fair. I think that was often the case back in the day, though even back in the 50s and 60s, it was often the top scoring defender that got the award. The difference was that top end all defensemen also were excellent at defense as well. I would love a Rod Langway award for the best defensive defenseman and then we could leave the Norris to the best overall. The only caveat is an award for the best defensive defenseman might make the Norris even more skewed to offensive defensemen, so we might then need a Paul Coffey award for the best offensive defenseman, but at that point you might have too many awards.

• Haha 1