The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Worst case scenario, I'd rather give Garland away for free before trading our 1st. 

Better than buying out someone like OEL. I think trading the 1st is much better. 

Not like we just get cap back either. 11th in a big draft has more value than that. 

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think if Reinbacher is gone ASP will likely be available. 

I hope so but after the top 9 it seems like a bunch of wingers are in the next tier. With RHD being such an important position I think he’s hard to pass up after his U18 tournament.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Better than buying out someone like OEL. I think trading the 1st is much better. 

Not like we just get cap back either. 11th in a big draft has more value than that. 

Buying out OEL doesn't make sense sooner than later, for sure. We're better off just eating his contract for a few more years, it's not like we're contenders at the moment. 

I'd sooner give away Myers, Garland, or Beauvillier away for free. Hoping we use our 1st on a D or center, though I'd prefer a center who's good enough to be picked with a near top 10 pick. 

I don't believe we're good enough as an organization to be giving up two 1st round picks, our prospect pool needs a serious boost at both center and D. 

Buying out OEL doesn't make sense sooner than later, for sure. We're better off just eating his contract for a few more years, it's not like we're contenders at the moment. 

I'd sooner give away Myers, Garland, or Beauvillier away for free. Hoping we use our 1st on a D or center, though I'd prefer a center who's good enough to be picked with a near top 10 pick. 

I don't believe we're good enough as an organization to be giving up two 1st round picks, our prospect pool needs a serious boost at both center and D. 

I think we’re up shits creek with trying to create cap. The league knows it.  I don’t think anyone’s taking anybody without retention and a sweetener besides Beauv and Miller and I don’t think we’re trading Miller. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think we’re up shits creek with trying to create cap. The league knows it.  I don’t think anyone’s taking anybody without retention and a sweetener besides Beauv and Miller and I don’t think we’re trading Miller. 

Nah, I don't think we're trading Miller either unfortunately. Haven't shifted on that but it is what it is. 

Gonna have to move cap somehow, if it comes down to it I'd rather it be another 2nd though as opposed to a 1st. It'd track anyway. 

We won’t be trading the pick this year as we already did that to improve the roster along with our second rounder. You can not be paying a OEL buyout for another 8 years, that will not be happening this offseason. I can see Sale being the target if he falls out of the top 10 and ASP is gone, he’s a left hand shot and has one of the best skill sets in the draft. Lekkerimaki is a RHS and those two could flank either Pettersson or Miller (both will probably be here long term)

I think in managements eyes they have their top 2 Centers for the next 7 years, they will look to support them with cheaper options. 

Just now, KyGuy123 said:

We won’t be trading the pick this year as we already did that to improve the roster along with our second rounder. You can not be paying a OEL buyout for another 8 years, that will not be happening this offseason. I can see Sale being the target if he falls out of the top 10 and ASP is gone, he’s a left hand shot and has one of the best skill sets in the draft. Lekkerimaki is a RHS and those two could flank either Pettersson or Miller (both will probably be here long term)

I think in managements eyes they have their top 2 Centers for the next 7 years, they will look to support them with cheaper options. 

Even if they think that they can't just ignore the dearth of center prospects in the system, gotta look to the future too. Sooner or later we're going to have to start drafting center's with 1st or 2nd round picks. Raty is a decent add but we need more. 

Pettersson will be 25 in November, Miller is 30. Gotta balance building the roster with building the future. 

Moore, Leonard, and Yager are all centers who could be available around our slot. Particularly if Reinbacher and Sandin Pellikka rise. We'll see.

As much as I think this management has made better changes, trading away their (NYI's) 1st round pick AND 2nd round pick in a deep draft for Hronek is a huge price to pay. It's not at all the definition of a steal.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because yeah we need more small, skilled players. We don't need centres or defence....

If you can get a player like Michkov that deep into the draft, you take him and make a trade.  I would be taking him 2nd overall without the Russian factor and 4th with.  There's a reason people ridiculed Edmonton trading Hall for Larsson, which is lowballing the talent gap between Michkov and Reinbacher.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I really don't like the way he plays in his own zone.

ASP is the best 200 foot D man in the draft. He’s actually quite good defensively. We should pick the BPA. Reinbacher is very good too. He might be there for us. And he’s a lot bigger than ASP. 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Even if they think that they can't just ignore the dearth of center prospects in the system, gotta look to the future too. Sooner or later we're going to have to start drafting center's with 1st or 2nd round picks. Raty is a decent add but we need more. 

Pettersson will be 25 in November, Miller is 30. Gotta balance building the roster with building the future. 

Moore, Leonard, and Yager are all centers who could be available around our slot. Particularly if Reinbacher and Sandin Pellikka rise. We'll see.

I've read about about Wood possibly moving to center.  I'd love to see them draft a big local kid who has been rising in the rankings all year.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Alflives said:

ASP is the best 200 foot D man in the draft. He’s actually quite good defensively. We should pick the BPA. Reinbacher is very good too. He might be there for us. And he’s a lot bigger than ASP. 

Reinbacher is a far better defender.  ASP is on my DND list and is unlikely to ever not be a liability.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Knowing the Canucks.

Michkov and Reinbacher will be available at 11.

And the Canucks will draft Michkov.

And they should, he is the 2nd best player in the draft.  If he is available at 11 it would be like winning the lottery...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

53 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Matthew Wood is also a centre.  He was converted to wing but apparently will be playing centre again next season.  He is similar to Tage Thompson.  Could be the steal of the draft really at 11...

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Reinbacher is a far better defender.  ASP is on my DND list and is unlikely to ever not be a liability.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

so clearly a lot of consensus 

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I've read about about Wood possibly moving to center.  I'd love to see them draft a big local kid who has been rising in the rankings all year.

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Matthew Wood is also a centre.  He was converted to wing but apparently will be playing centre again next season.  He is similar to Tage Thompson.  Could be the steal of the draft really at 11...

Wood would def be intriguing 

Dvorsky is also listed as C/RW but idk about him 

Plenty of potential center options, Sandin Pellikka and Reinbacher are the top two D and it's not unusual for team to covet D and take them high, could potentially bump a couple quality center prospects down closer to our draft slot 

I'm hoping center is the route we take, we could use a blue chip center prospect something fierce 

• Cheers 1