2023 11OA pick

Conor Garland

Tucker Poolman

Anthony Beauvillier

Tanner Pearson

To Vancouver:

2023 19OA pick

2023 35OA pick

If you ignore the salary cap aspect that’s a horrendous trade. Garland and Beau are both reliable middle 6 forwards. And frankly I don’t know who can replace their productivity unless one of Podz or Hoglander really starts getting it together. Making our team worse to shed cap is going to be a disaster and I think a top 10 gem will fall to pick 11. I dunno if I can say the same of pick 19. We’re going to really cost ourselves if we try to use this pick to move salary. I’m pretty much against any move that would move us down in the draft. The exception might be if Chicago would take OEL. I look long and hard at that. Otherwise stay at 11 and take a stud. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Watch Toronto hire him. That would make my day. 

As a player or a gm his contribution for the Canucks was sub. So theres only one thing left to do and that’s to fill  a sub gm position in the center of the universe. Good luck with that jimmyth?id=OIP.SF11M6NtQY8xofUQYDazUQHaLK&pid

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Pearson and Beauvillier only have 1 year left. and Garland is too good on the 3rd line. It's too reminiscent of the Benning trade when he traded Eriksson with only a year left on his contract and we lost our 9th overall. If it was OEL and our 11th for their 19 and 35 picks, I'd listen to that.  They're getting a potential star.  Just ride it out and there's apparently going to be a 3-4 mill increase to the cap next year.  

Benning traded the 9OA pick and a 2nd as well and got no draft picks back. In this scenario we are actually getting a 1st and a 2nd back. 

If you look at the NHL draft value chart, the 11OA is equivalent to the 19OA + 35OA. So draft pick wise it’s a fair deal. Throw in $15 million in cap dumps and the deal actually favours Vancouver. 

Chicago can probably trade Beauvillier at the deadline for a 2nd or a 3rd so they get that pick back. Pearson and Garland are most likely on LTIR so it helps Chicago reach the cap floor without having to spend real dollars. And Garland gives them a player with some term who can actually play on the team for a few years. 

People are saying this is a Benning type move which is not true. We are clearing cap AND getting picks back in return. 

With the $15 million in cap space it allows us to add all of the pieces we need to make the playoffs next season and be competitive plus we still have a 1st round pick plus added a 2nd round pick as well. 

This type of trade is probably the least painful way of shedding millions in cap space. Much much better than just attaching sweeteners or trading the 11OA outright. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

If you ignore the salary cap aspect that’s a horrendous trade. Garland and Beau are both reliable middle 6 forwards. And frankly I don’t know who can replace their productivity unless one of Podz or Hoglander really starts getting it together. Making our team worse to shed cap is going to be a disaster and I think a top 10 gem will fall to pick 11. I dunno if I can say the same of pick 19. We’re going to really cost ourselves if we try to use this pick to move salary. I’m pretty much against any move that would move us down in the draft. The exception might be if Chicago would take OEL. I look long and hard at that. Otherwise stay at 11 and take a stud. 

Yeah, moving from 11 to 19 and thinking you're going to get the same quality is wishful and extremely risky. I would rather just one player be close to a guaranteed compared to two hopefuls. We're not in a position to be playing loosy goosy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning traded the 9OA pick and a 2nd as well and got no draft picks back. In this scenario we are actually getting a 1st and a 2nd back. 

If you look at the NHL draft value chart, the 11OA is equivalent to the 19OA + 35OA. So draft pick wise it’s a fair deal. Throw in $15 million in cap dumps and the deal actually favours Vancouver. 

Chicago can probably trade Beauvillier at the deadline for a 2nd or a 3rd so they get that pick back. Pearson and Garland are most likely on LTIR so it helps Chicago reach the cap floor without having to spend real dollars. And Garland gives them a player with some term who can actually play on the team for a few years. 

People are saying this is a Benning type move which is not true. We are clearing cap AND getting picks back in return. 

With the $15 million in cap space it allows us to add all of the pieces we need to make the playoffs next season and be competitive plus we still have a 1st round pick plus added a 2nd round pick as well. 

This type of trade is probably the least painful way of shedding millions in cap space. Much much better than just attaching sweeteners or trading the 11OA outright. 

Why are the Canucks always the team treading water they never seem to make the patient move.  It's always impatients and knee jerk reactions. For once I'd like the Canucks to be the smart team that held onto their pick and drafted a star player.  There's the saying  "there's always one GM stupid enough...". For once it would be nice for our GM not to be that GM.  Trading down and out of a tier of talent just to get a 2nd rounder. The Canucks always seem to be the team that helps other teams succeed while we forever flounder.  Let other teams buy high and sell low, let us for once be the smart team that with patience buys low and sells high.  Wait for Boeser to score 30 goals next season then trade him.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm not a big fan of trading the pick, however I can envision 2 scenarios where it makes sense.

#1. The contract going back is OEL. I wouldn't trade the pick straight up to dump his contract (with nothing coming back), but if Chicago is desperate to use their capspace to move up then that would be my counter.

#2. Have a secondary trade setup where you can move the 2nd round pick+ you get in the deal to add a good player at a discounted price from a team that needs to make a move. Ala our Marino/Toews/Bjokstrand/exc.

Like say; Boeser/Garland + 11th for 19th, a 2nd & a 4th. Then you flip the picks (and maybe Rathbone) for a really good 3C or 3/4D.

I haven't dug into teams to try & find targets, so this is projection. But if you move Boeser's full cap, bring in someone thats of a similar age or younger who fills a needed role (perhaps a bit cheaper) and still maintain a top 20 pick.. I think it could work.

On 5/23/2023 at 2:56 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

To Chicago:

2023 11OA pick

Conor Garland

Tucker Poolman

Anthony Beauvillier

Tanner Pearson

To Vancouver:

2023 19OA pick

2023 35OA pick

And then what, sign more UFAs to bloated contracts?

• Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm not a big fan of trading the pick, however I can envision 2 scenarios where it makes sense.

#1. The contract going back is OEL. I wouldn't trade the pick straight up to dump his contract (with nothing coming back), but if Chicago is desperate to use their capspace to move up then that would be my counter.

#2. Have a secondary trade setup where you can move the 2nd round pick+ you get in the deal to add a good player at a discounted price from a team that needs to make a move. Ala our Marino/Toews/Bjokstrand/exc.

Like say; Boeser/Garland + 11th for 19th, a 2nd & a 4th. Then you flip the picks (and maybe Rathbone) for a really good 3C or 3/4D.

I haven't dug into teams to try & find targets, so this is projection. But if you move Boeser's full cap, bring in someone thats of a similar age or younger who fills a needed role (perhaps a bit cheaper) and still maintain a top 20 pick.. I think it could work.

Who replaces Boeser .74 ppg production this season alone on the wing?  Or his .78 ppg career?

Those aren't easy numbers to replace and while a more versatile winger might also be a far better overall option; the Canucks were 12th in league scoring this year on the backs of career years fro Hughes and Petey but are more realistically a middle of the pack 14-16 team as the Knights, Avs, Pens and Canes all had down years for scoring behind the Canucks.  Ensuring that production is replaced will be essential; especially factoring in that a generous portion of our 260 goals scored came from Horvat before he left

19 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Why are the Canucks always the team treading water they never seem to make the patient move.  It's always impatients and knee jerk reactions. For once I'd like the Canucks to be the smart team that held onto their pick and drafted a star player.  There's the saying  "there's always one GM stupid enough...". For once it would be nice for our GM not to be that GM.  Trading down and out of a tier of talent just to get a 2nd rounder. The Canucks always seem to be the team that helps other teams succeed while we forever flounder.  Let other teams buy high and sell low, let us for once be the smart team that with patience buys low and sells high.  Wait for Boeser to score 30 goals next season then trade him.  

Seems like it's because the owner will only hire managers who tell him "just a couple years to right the ship"

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Who replaces Boeser .74 ppg production this season alone on the wing?  Or his .78 ppg career?

Those aren't easy numbers to replace and while a more versatile winger might also be a far better overall option; the Canucks were 12th in league scoring this year on the backs of career years fro Hughes and Petey but are more realistically a middle of the pack 14-16 team as the Knights, Avs, Pens and Canes all had down years for scoring behind the Canucks.  Ensuring that production is replaced will be essential; especially factoring in that a generous portion of our 260 goals scored came from Horvat before he left

Ideally you find the production in a tougher, more complete player. One with more defensive acumen and hustle. Not that it would be easily done or anything.

Edited by Gawdzukes