Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks and Leafs... oof..!

To VAN:

Nylander

Liljegren

To TOR:

Boeser

Rathbone

TOR is gonna want to re-sign Schenn.  If we loved him, you can bet TOR does too.  This trade saves them enough cap to re-sign Schenn.  Boeser may do really well next to Tavares, and brings some much needed size along the boards for them.

VAN gets another promising young RHD to add to the mix, while moving out Rathbone (who likely has no place here anymore).  Nylander has less term left on his deal than Boeser.  Could fit in really nicely with Miller or Petey here.

• Like 1
  • Wat 3

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Just please think before putting stuff up like this.  Nylander has 40 goals this year and earns almost the exact same amount as Boeser.  What cap savings are you rambling about?  Rathbone couldn't crack the Canucks blueline even when everyone got injured.  Liljegren was playing meaningful minutes on a good team.  You are proposing we give up two of our scraps for objectively better players.  Get outta here.

Nylander + Liljegren is $8.4M

Boeser + Rathbone is $7.5M if Rathbone is playing in the NHL.  Likely he plays another year in the AHL.  So it's really just $6.65M for Boeser.

That's $1.75M in savings ($8.4 less $6.65), likely more than enough to re-sign Schenn. 

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nylander + Liljegren is $8.4M

Boeser + Rathbone is $7.5M if Rathbone is playing in the NHL.  Likely he plays another year in the AHL.  So it's really just $6.65M for Boeser.

That's $1.75M in savings ($8.4 less $6.65), likely more than enough to re-sign Schenn. 

Way to completely avoid the point that you have no sense of player value.  We are getting the two players BY FAR, and you think that's an even trade.

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If Toronto decides they're willing to move Nylander they can almost certainly do better than Boeser and an NHL tweener 

Personally I think we undervalue Boeser.  He just turned 26.  For a team in win now mode, with cost certainty at only $6.65M, and brings some size along the wing, he's got some real value.  As much as people poke fun at him, he was still on pace for 60 points.

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

Way to completely avoid the point that you have no sense of player value.  We are getting the two players BY FAR, and you think that's an even trade.

See my post above to Coconuts.  I think we undervalue Boeser here, and many overvalue Nylander.  Especially with an M-NTC kicking in on the final year of his deal with likely a big raise on the horizon. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

Maybe if they include a first.  Nylander has a lot of negative value and Liljigren is unlikely to ever learn how to play defence.  

Nylander is the Leaf front runner for the Conn Smythe. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Personally I think we undervalue Boeser.  He just turned 26.  For a team in win now mode, with cost certainty at only $6.65M, and brings some size along the wing, he's got some real value.  As much as people poke fun at him, he was still on pace for 60 points.

Even if we do it's not really comparable. Boeser's never broken 56 points, let alone put up 60. Nylander's put up back to back 80+ point seasons. Nylander is also the better goal scorer, with three seasons of 30+ and he put up 40 this season. Boeser has never hit 30. Nylander is also a more dangerous playermaker. 

Nylander will be paid more on his next deal, sure, but his past two seasons have also earned him a raise. Boeser is currently overpaid at almost 6.7M. 

I'm just saying, their value is likely viewed quite differently around the league. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Even if we do it's not really comparable. Boeser's never broken 56 points, let alone put up 60. Nylander's put up back to back 80+ point seasons. Nylander is also the better goal scorer, with three seasons of 30+ and he put up 40 this season. Boeser has never hit 30. Nylander is also a more dangerous playermaker. 

Nylander will be paid more on his next deal, sure, but his past two seasons have also earned him a raise. Boeser is currently overpaid at almost 6.7M. 

I'm just saying, their value is likely viewed quite differently around the league. 

I'm not convinced about it.  I think Nylander is overrated when he plays next to one of Tavares or Matthews all the time.  I bet Nylander would drop about 15 to 20 points playing elsewhere.  That's just my opinion.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe for helping the other team.  The Canucks don't need a lazy floater who needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.

Disagree. It's been almost unanimous from the people I've read or listened to (whom I respect) that Nylander has had the best playoff performance of the core 4 in Toronto. I also acknowledge that this isn't saying much haha.

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

See my post above to Coconuts.  I think we undervalue Boeser here, and many overvalue Nylander.  Especially with an M-NTC kicking in on the final year of his deal with likely a big raise on the horizon. 

Forget it.  In the last two years, Boeser has 41 goals and 60 assists.  Nylander 74 goals and 93 assists.  In that same timespan, Rathbone has 2 points in the NHL while Liljegren has 41.  So we give up 103 points and get 208 points in return. If you want to get into actual analytics and possession/xG metrics, it gets even worse.  Just admit you're wrong here.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'm not convinced about it.  I think Nylander is overrated when he plays next to one of Tavares or Matthews all the time.  I bet Nylander would drop about 15 to 20 points playing elsewhere.  That's just my opinion.

Maybe, maybe not. Fact of the matter is Nylander has actually put up the numbers, he has a track record of doing so whereas Boeser has never taken that next step. Boeser has consistently given us 46-55ish points since his rookie year, his production has actually taken a step back the last couple seasons as it's taken him more games to hit that same level of production.

Is there a next level? Could he do more? Maybe, but at 26 he's also pretty close to being in he is what he is territory. Which isn't anything to sniff at, he's a complimentary top six winger and every team needs top six wingers, but Nylander has been putting up top line production, 1st line caliber linemates or not. One can point to Nylander's linemates but at the end of the day he can play with those players put up first line numbers, Boeser hasn't been able to do that when paired with our top line talents. 

Would I take Nylander? Sure, him and Pettersson would likely tear it up together. But more than likely Toronto finds a way to extend him, cuts cap, and him, Marner, and Matthews end up cannibalizing Tavares's cap imo. Or they trade one of them to bolster their D, Toronto's being so top heavy doesn't benefit them as a team. 

26 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Forget it.  In the last two years, Boeser has 41 goals and 60 assists.  Nylander 74 goals and 93 assists.  In that same timespan, Rathbone has 2 points in the NHL while Liljegren has 41.  So we give up 103 points and get 208 points in return. If you want to get into actual analytics and possession/xG metrics, it gets even worse.  Just admit you're wrong here.

Swap Nylander and Boeser and I think you'd see how much closer they are as players.  Boeser plays on a crap Canucks team and is just overcoming his mental and emotional hurdles of losing his dad, while Nylander gets to ride shotgun with Matthews and Tavares all day every day.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

brock 139 goals 172 assists in 398 games  311 points    .78 points per game        .349 goals per game

Wil     177 goals 253 assists in 521 games  430 points    .85 points                        .339 goals per 

First glance says these guys are very comparable.

Play off scoring

Brock  4  goals 7   assists in 17 games     11 points        .647 points per game      .235 goals per

Will     16 goals 23 assists in 49 games     39 points        .796 points per                .326 goals per

Edited by Gurn
  • Cheers 1