The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

21 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Would've liked to have kept the 2nd.

Then we don’t get an elite, right shot D who is only 25 and just coming into his prime years. Instead we draft (maybe?) ASP and another even longer shot with that second and hope in 5 years one of them develops into a player as good as Hronek. It was a masterful 3D chess strategy trade turning the elephant in our room into Hronek, Beau, and Raty. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then we don’t get an elite, right shot D who is only 25 and just coming into his prime years. Instead we draft (maybe?) ASP and another even longer shot with that second and hope in 5 years one of them develops into a player as good as Hronek. It was a masterful 3D chess strategy trade turning the elephant in our room into Hronek, Beau, and Raty. 

What is your definition of elite?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, dougieL said:

What is your definition of elite?

Hronek was clearly Detroit’s best D. He was close to a ppg guy playing in all situations and their team was doing well. Then he went out and their club did a serious nose dive. 
Now we have Hronek. He’s part of our core. He’s clearly an elite, right shot D. 
Alf’s empties have spoken. All bow.:frantic:

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

On 5/23/2023 at 2:45 PM, Snake Doctor said:

As much as the trade shocked Canuck fans it is too early to know if it was a good trade or not. Kratzov was a dumb move though

Yeah I'm sweating bullets that we traded a 7th round pick, for a gamble on a  former 1st round player.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

"Gave away" the 1st and 2nd - just recently

Haven't really seen Hronek play much yet.

I get the angst, but this just requires a little patience. This might be a good question a year from now. Give Hronek a chance.

Hronek is a proven elite right shot D. He’s 25 and proven to be great. He’s the guy who will anchor our second pairing for the next 7 years. Getting him for what we paid was an absolute steal. If that Islanders’ pick was at 17 when we got Hronek that deal doesn’t happen. Yzerboy got enamoured with the potential of a 2024 unprotected 1st. He took a gamble, clouded by his lust for that 2025 unprotected first, and lost. Allvin took Lou to the woodshed on the Bo trade and then took Yzerboy out too. Big wins for us! 

The manufacturing of story lines is a bit tired… which is what some decent sports news guys are spinning atm.

First, Soucy is 3m a year and has ‘truculence’ which is what we lost with Luke Schenn.

second, WTf is worried about Hronek.

wait and see, then decide if you should be ‘worried’.

Bad framing and the tales of the Crypt Keeper and his time honoured emotional framing.

Ian Cole offers solid 3/4 minutes for 3 m too and hits harder than OEL.

So we are in shape with Ethan Bear as a question mark, does the club find a way to fit him in on a bridge deal for one year with his injury and when he gets back, we have a solid top four with a good mix of players on the third pairing and a very tradeable Myers.

if Bear isn’t signed, we are as good as we could be.

but we have better depth than last year and Soucy is an upgrade on Bouroughs and also adds a big body like Luke Schenn and Ian Cole is a very reliable and capable defender and like I said more physical than OEL.

Next year expect younger guys, maybe Woo and Willander make the jump, as cost effective players come in to offset wages until the buyouts 7ntil they are over. 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1

At this point it’s whatever now no point crying about it I hope he fully recovers and tear it up in Vancouver. I am concern though how happy he will be in terms of re signing long term in Vancouver knowing he’s not going to get much offensive opportunity and prolly next to none pp1 mins to pad his stats on a contract year. Reason I bring this up. If he’s in Detroit doing his normal thing and stay healthy he’ll get 50-60 points easy that’s easy 8mil-9mil for a top 4 RD buying his ufa years. Hughes is not comparable coz he’s a rfa. If he’s going to be relegated to the 2nd pairing with limited pp mins with the pp2 his production is going to suffer. 30-35 points maybe as the 2nd pair. People will then argue he’s worth 6-6.5mil at best. That’s quite a financial difference based on opportunity.. I still think there’s a chance he won’t sign a long term in Van force a 1 year qualifying offer or be traded where he gets a chance at being top pair with pp1 mins. I believe he views himself as a top pairing pp1 defenceman not a 2nd pair leftover pp mins defenseman. 

57 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

There's been hardcore crying ... like Michael Jordan in the rain crying ...

tears-crying.gif

Actually ... a combination of MJ crying and this ...

gioated-family-guy.gif

Ya I wasn’t happy about it the first couple weeks and bitched about it.. moved on just like all the other moves. Don’t care about it enough to cry about it forever 

• Cheers 2