The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

Seeing who Vegas won with… I hope OEL gets bought out and Beauvillier, Boeser, Myers, and any lacklustre player gets shipped out with a warning label “Please handle with care, fragile”

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LucBourdon28 said:

Favourable taxes, anonymity, better ownership.. etc.

Vancouver is a nice place for a canadian market

Remember players don't always pick where they play. They're drafted, dealt, etc. 

Vegas is comprised of mostly Canadian players. If given a choice, I'm sure many of them would prefer playing here/at home. I mean over 3/4 of the teams are American so it makes sense that most players land there. Not always by choice, just how it is. Vegas is comprised of mostly Canadians but I wouldn't say they chose Vegas...the other way around.

But the "our country's better" is a dumb argument. There are pro's con's on both sides.

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

Interesting point but maybe stopping this opportunistic loop hole is better for the sport

Mark Stone had back surgery in February - the 2nd time in 9 months.   There's always uncertainty with injuries and not something that can be controlled. 

No loophole when injuries are legit.  The NHL investigates all cases.  Impossible to do with concussions/migraines but there are timelines to go by with physical injuries whether knee/back/hip etc.  Some players have beat the expected timelines but that's because NHLers are incredible athletes but could go also the other way.  Tukka Rask the same hip surgery as Kucherov and was never really able to recover.  Seguin took 6 months while Pastrnak/Kucherov took 4.5 months.    

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Would penalise teams that avoid LTIR as well.  Would pretty much eliminate the trade deadline.

Minnesota added for over 13M worth of contracts at the TDL because they avoided LTIR.  They were cap compliant over the season just as Vegas was but their daily cap hit in the playoffs by far exceeded 82.5M.  

Good point. How about making the compromise that player making over $1.5 million have have to play in say 20% of the season to be eligible for the playoffs so we avoid this back just in time for the playoffs bs we have seen in recent champions. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

No freaking way!!!

…I think…. Right?  

Dunno, I feel like the the standard has shifted as time has gone on, guys just don't put up the point totals you used to see. Game has changed.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, I feel like the the standard has shifted as time has gone on, guys just don't put up the point totals you used to see. Game has changed.

Yeah I suppose.  My instinct is still no.  Seems like there’s a fair number of players in his generation that have similar or better numbers.  But maybe they’re getting in too idk.

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah I suppose.  My instinct is still no.  Seems like there’s a fair number of players in his generation that have similar or better numbers.  But maybe they’re getting in too idk.

I'm not saying he'd be first ballot, but he arguably should have had a Conn Smythe in Pittsburgh too

Almost 1300 games, Almost 1000 points, gotta wonder if he comes back for one more season to break 1k or if he retires on top

• Cheers 1