The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised he still gets asked for his 'id' if he goes to a liquor store.:P

Or asked out for a date by some burly logger type. nylander-william.jpg.e575ab8079ac2008ee4e39237f1474c3.jpg

Edited by chon derry
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wasn’t the game over when he left the penalty box?  I’m pretty sure they opened the door for him…

7 hours ago, NZCanuck said:

Doesn’t matter. It’s equivalent to leaving the bench to join a scrum at the end of the game. Rules state you have to go straight off. Instead he skated to the opposite blue line and got involved. 

Only question which the footage isn’t clear on is did he initiate anything before getting tangled with Tkachuk. 

You will need to post the rule as there is nothing that I can find that states anything about the penalty box being "equivalent to leaving the bench". I believe @Elias Pettersson is correct. There is a rule that states, 'No penalized player may leave the penalty bench except on the expiration of his penalty or at the end of a period.' The period has ended meaning Pietrangelo could leave the penalty box and that point he is no different to any other player on the ice. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

You will need to post the rule as there is nothing that I can find that states anything about the penalty box being "equivalent to leaving the bench". I believe @Elias Pettersson is correct. There is a rule that states, 'No penalized player may leave the penalty bench except on the expiration of his penalty or at the end of a period.' The period has ended meaning Pietrangelo could leave the penalty box and that point he is no different to any other player on the ice. 

Exactly. Like the guy or girl in some cases is about to stop the player from leaving the box after the game is ended. Sure. :picard:   “ NO you sit right there! “. Lol

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Exactly. Like the guy or girl in some cases is about to stop the player from leaving the box after the game is ended. Sure. :picard:   “ NO you sit right there! “. Lol

Its funny people on here will go to great lengths to discredit Vegas when in reality they are the better team here regardless of all of the other distractions. 

Our biases will make up whatever excuse we can think of to make ourselves feel better. ::D

Lets face it, Vegas has very little holes in their game and they have proven it over and over again.

On a side note, that Eichel is one tough SOB. That big hit should have taken him out, then, that puck to the head? Wow! 

A big hand to all of these players who are playing through injuries but are still giving their all. That's Hockey! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Very similar to the Sedins. Great players in the regular season but just OK in the playoffs.

I actually thought in their last post-season as Canucks, there were performed pretty reasonable (considering their ages & stage of their careers) against the Flamers.  Stupid Willie couldn't get past 'rolling the lines' instead of 'shortening the bench' when the games really count.  To his credit, that method of lines 1, 2, 3, 4 keeps the roster fresh for the post-season.  A failure that Torts couldn't see (and he's a two-time Jack Adams winner!) which led to the Canucks running out of gas well before the end of the regular season.  But once the post-season starts, you double shift your 'go to' lines.  The Sedins were each in the top 15 in points in the league that year (so there was still SOME gas left in the tank).

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Its funny people on here will go to great lengths to discredit Vegas when in reality they are the better team here regardless of all of the other distractions. 

Our biases will make up whatever excuse we can think of to make ourselves feel better. ::D

Lets face it, Vegas has very little holes in their game and they have proven it over and over again.

On a side note, that Eichel is one tough SOB. That big hit should have taken him out, then, that puck to the head? Wow! 

A big hand to all of these players who are playing through injuries but are still giving their all. That's Hockey! 

Yeah, I really don't understand all the hate towards Vegas.  Who cares that they are an expansion team and about the win the cup.  Like what does that have to do with Vancouver?  We had our chances and screwed it up.  And all the bs that the league and the lottery is fixed.  The games are all rigged.  :lol:

Florida barely made the playoffs.  With goalie Bob they are nowhere near any Stanley Cup final.  Their fans are terrible, alot worse than any Vegas fan.  Throwing all that sh*t onto the ice.  Montour was the guy who started the brawl last night, he literally sprinted from the blueline and ran McNabb into the goalie after the whistle, so what did you expect Hill to do?  Tkachuk then grabs Pietrangelo and uses his stick like a billy club wrapping it around his neck and then chopping his legs like he's chopping wood.  And the way he eats his mouthguard all game, looks like a complete loser to be honest.  Typical redneck American...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, I really don't understand all the hate towards Vegas.

Actually it was said it best earlier in this thread....**** all teams not named the Canucks.  Sure, a few teams like the Laffs, Coilers, and Lames deserve more derision.:P

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I actually thought in their last post-season as Canucks, there were performed pretty reasonable (considering their ages & stage of their careers) against the Flamers.  Stupid Willie couldn't get past 'rolling the lines' instead of 'shortening the bench' when the games really count.  To his credit, that method of lines 1, 2, 3, 4 keeps the roster fresh for the post-season.  A failure that Torts couldn't see (and he's a two-time Jack Adams winner!) which led to the Canucks running out of gas well before the end of the regular season.  But once the post-season starts, you double shift your 'go to' lines.  The Sedins were each in the top 15 in points in the league that year (so there was still SOME gas left in the tank).

Yeah " performed pretty reasonable" is not what I am expecting from players with their skill and salary. I don't blame the coaches thats just a cop out. Players need to be responsible for their own play, period.

Torts tried to make the players be responsible in their own end, they chose not to, thats on them.

The Twins should have been split up in their last few years, they might have been quite useful in a support role instead of being looked at as the go-to guys, but thats another topic and another discussion.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, I really don't understand all the hate towards Vegas.  Who cares that they are an expansion team and about the win the cup.  Like what does that have to do with Vancouver?  We had our chances and screwed it up.  And all the bs that the league and the lottery is fixed.  The games are all rigged.  :lol:

Florida barely made the playoffs.  With goalie Bob they are nowhere near any Stanley Cup final.  Their fans are terrible, alot worse than any Vegas fan.  Throwing all that sh*t onto the ice.  Montour was the guy who started the brawl last night, he literally sprinted from the blueline and ran McNabb into the goalie after the whistle, so what did you expect Hill to do?  Tkachuk then grabs Pietrangelo and uses his stick like a billy club wrapping it around his neck and then chopping his legs like he's chopping wood.  And the way he eats his mouthguard all game, looks like a complete loser to be honest.  Typical redneck American...

Yeah its all about the Hockey for me. Whether its the SC Playoffs or the World juniors, thats the best hockey to watch. Yeah I would like to see the Canucks win or team Canada, but at the end of the day, good hockey is good hockey.

I did like players like Tkachuk and Bennett before this series but what a bunch of D^%ks! I am putting them up there with the Duncan Keith's and Marchand's of the world now. No use for them.

Its funny they tried to intimidate Vegas and they are the ones that end up being the ones limping around. Karma.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah " performed pretty reasonable" is not what I am expecting from players with their skill and salary. I don't blame the coaches thats just a cop out. Players need to be responsible for their own play, period.

Torts tried to make the players be responsible in their own end, they chose not to, thats on them.

The Twins should have been split up in their last few years, they might have been quite useful in a support role instead of being looked at as the go-to guys, but thats another topic and another discussion.

Agree to disagree.  They were in the top 15 in points that season (in the entire league).  It isn't a cop-out when Willie wasn't shortening the bench.  Not their fault the bottom two lines were getting too much icetime (getting eaten alive by the Flamers).  While the Sedins might've been running on gas fumes, Benning/Willie was left with guys like Higgins who were running on a completely empty tank to 'fill-out' the bottom two lines.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Should players come onto the ice from their players’ benches after the period ends and prior to the start of an altercation, they shall not be penalized if they remain in the vicinity of their players’ bench and SECTION 6 – PHYSICAL FOULS NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE OFFICIAL RULES 2021-2022 78 provided they do not get involved in any altercations.

And

70.10 Fines and Suspensions – The first player to leave the players’ or penalty bench illegally during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next ten (10) regular League and/or Play-off games of his team.

There is nothing wrong with Pietrangelo leaving the penalty box (assuming he was let out- there is an issue that the timekeeper should have held him in until the skirmish was over). The issue is that he needed to head straight to the bench. Instead he went straight in and engaged a Panthers player before anyone engaged with him. It's not Vegas hate, it's literally just asking the rules to be applied. The NHL rules determine the penalty box and bench to be one and the same at the end of a period. I believe the Hockey Canada rules are even more clear with it being an automatic penalty to leave the box if there is a fight on the ice whether you get involved or not.

Edited by NZCanuck

29 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Looks like Fla is going all the way NEXT year. 

:sick:

Bettman is just a slimey hustler in an expensive suit…

I really hope the next commissioner knows the meaning of the word integrity.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Personally I didn't mind the end of game stuff.   They showed some emotion, nobody dropped the gloves, so they kept it within reason.    Good grief.   Growing up with actual bench clearing brawls, some that would go on and on and on (Nords MTL, EDM/CAL) this stuff barely moved the needle.    It's part of the sport.   Florida was just trying to score.    They didn't.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

:sick:

Bettman is just a slimey hustler in an expensive suit…

I really hope the next commissioner knows the meaning of the word integrity.

He just gets paid to follow the bidding of those like Jeremy Jacobs to be honest. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Agree to disagree.  They were in the top 15 in points that season (in the entire league).  It isn't a cop-out when Willie wasn't shortening the bench.  Not their fault the bottom two lines were getting too much icetime (getting eaten alive by the Flamers).  While the Sedins might've been running on gas fumes, Benning/Willie was left with guys like Higgins who were running on a completely empty tank to 'fill-out' the bottom two lines.

It might have been one of the Sedins better series.   Just think about that.   Like it or not, the Sedins did have a hard time translating their game in the post-season, but for sure they were a huge part of getting there.   It's truly too bad they didn't peak a little earlier when the WCE express was doing their thing.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Torts was correct in saying the core was "stale".   It's ancient history now.   Ferland schooled that team.   Brown showed him what to do. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1