The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap… Wait it out a year or pay a price to make space?

Rate this topic

Junkyard Dog

What do you do?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

We already have three D that at least soon is over 6 mill and with Myers we had one of the most expensive Ds before Hronek arrived and you want to continue with Bennings malpractice???

Explain how you get a top 4 dman without paying around 6 million, or paying out the ass in picks and prospects for one that will require a raise to around that cap hit, genious. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Explain how you get a top 4 dman without paying around 6 million, or paying out the ass in picks and prospects for one that will require a raise to around that cap hit, genious. 

Because we don’t need to pay for a top 4 D man if you got one on ELC. 
Very simple as that.

The sad part is that PA probably think more like you here than me.

• Wat 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

Because we don’t need to pay for a top 4 D man if you got one on ELC. 
Very simple as that.

The sad part is that PA probably think more like you here than me.

And how do you propose getting an NHL ready top 4 dman on an ELC? You’re asking for a unicorn, yet holding crumbs. 

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And how do you propose getting an NHL ready top 4 dman on an ELC? You’re asking for a unicorn, yet holding crumbs. 

We don’t need a precious top 4 RHD if we got our three best going as they should.

We almost had 4 AHL players and won games last season.

So three D good enough for this team next season.

No stress a la Benning… Do you hear me? 

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

We don’t need a precious top 4 RHD if we got our three best going as they should.

I don't think the team needs a top 4 RD at this point, either.  Hughes requires a partner who can play a

physically defensive game, with +++ NHL experience.  He also needs to play +/-20min a game.

Last year, Schenn filled the role and then Bear for a while.  Our team has young prospects coming up, but

they are 1-3yrs (or more) away from playing in the NHL.

The UFAs this season includes some vets that could fill the role in the $3m range (Gudas/Holl/Mayfield?),

but it will be difficult to sign for less than 3yrs.  Or, perhaps a viable trade can be made for a similar player

(Peeke?) during the offseason.

*It's debatable whether they will re-sign Bear, unless he is cleared as a health risk, I doubt they will.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

We need to move Myers and bring a top 4 dman in, the current mix is not good enough. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

We need to move Myers and bring a top 4 dman in, the current mix is not good enough. 

You have to relax. Why the rush?

The impatience is what made Benning loose his job.

Next season is a building phase. Not contending right away. 
Wait til tge season after that.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

You have to relax. Why the rush?

The impatience is what made Benning loose his job.

Next season is a building phase. Not contending right away. 
Wait til tge season after that.

That is not how pro sports work, you’re always building. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Move out Myers, and we need a top 4 dman, you're not getting one for less than 6 million, but I would rather pay 6 million to a better dman. This isn't that dificult. 

The same goes for OEL

10 hours ago, Timråfan said:

No stress... Tell that to FA...

JR/PA won't be getting 8 years like Benning. 
Aquilini wants play offs... now...

• Cheers 1

On 6/5/2023 at 1:38 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, with Pearson and Poolman on LTIR they are at $78.5 million with 19 players signed. So they have around $5 million in cap space to sign 4 guys. Silovs/Martin would be 800k. If they re-sign Bear then another 2.2. So they’d have $2 million left to sign 2 more Dmen to fill out the roster. 

If they actually want to upgrade the 3C position and also get a decent LHD then they will need to trade one of their wingers and/or not re-sign Bear. 

They could sign Schenn instead of Bear for alot less and trade Bear for a pick prior to the draft. They could trade Beau/Garland for a 3C. I doubt they simply re-sign Bear and then just fill out the roster with minimum wage players. Expect some trades to happen. 

On 6/5/2023 at 2:18 PM, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Wait. Hands down.

This is the same situation we were in right before Benning traded for OEL. 

Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson were all due to expire the next season, but Benning refused to wait it out and traded for OEL while we also lost our 1st round pick.

Don't make the same mistake twice. 

funny how we all complained about the Eriksson contract and we got OEL and Garlund. Garlund earned his contract with us, OEL hasnt yet. You know why the Yotes took the Eriksson contract, because of the other two sweet contracts. Thats the only way to get rid of the OEL contract, and maybe Myers too. A sweetener. And for everyone saying we need to draft defense.... no, we need to skim the fat on our defense. Even if it means Hughes as a sweetener. time for black coffee and a good healthy Demko

Hope the low Cap devils want another Hughes badly enough

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EastCoastNucks said:

funny how we all complained about the Eriksson contract and we got OEL and Garlund. Garlund earned his contract with us, OEL hasnt yet. You know why the Yotes took the Eriksson contract, because of the other two sweet contracts. Thats the only way to get rid of the OEL contract, and maybe Myers too. A sweetener. And for everyone saying we need to draft defense.... no, we need to skim the fat on our defense. Even if it means Hughes as a sweetener. time for black coffee and a good healthy Demko

Hope the low Cap devils want another Hughes badly enough

I see both our bottles are empty. Cheers! image.gif.a63373b04262f4bc95bbb10a5bfcba60.gif

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:12 PM, Timråfan said:

On 6/10/2023 at 7:19 PM, higgyfan said:

I don't think the team needs a top 4 RD at this point, either.  Hughes requires a partner who can play a

physically defensive game, with +++ NHL experience.  He also needs to play +/-20min a game.

Last year, Schenn filled the role and then Bear for a while.  Our team has young prospects coming up, but

they are 1-3yrs (or more) away from playing in the NHL.

The UFAs this season includes some vets that could fill the role in the $3m range (Gudas/Holl/Mayfield?),

but it will be difficult to sign for less than 3yrs.  Or, perhaps a viable trade can be made for a similar player

(Peeke?) during the offseason.

*It's debatable whether they will re-sign Bear, unless he is cleared as a health risk, I doubt they will.

Geez nobody wants to talk the obvious. We need Schenn, and maybe 3 Schenns and 3 Bears would be better than 2 OEL, 2 Myers and 2 Hughes. Before response, do the CAP math and impact to the teams ability to afford to have a future

• Haha 1

Why is trading good players with good contracts bundled with historical players with bad contracts not an option in this discussion? OEL and HUGHES bundled for a first round pick for example... to a team who has the cap to free us up 15 MIL or more. For those of you thinking of the LTIR stuff, that is imaginary cap. We can only keep them injured for so long.

9 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Why is trading good players with good contracts bundled with historical players with bad contracts not an option in this discussion? OEL and HUGHES bundled for a first round pick for example... to a team who has the cap to free us up 15 MIL or more. For those of you thinking of the LTIR stuff, that is imaginary cap. We can only keep them injured for so long.

Why. Because there isn’t a team that could shell out 16.8 mill for a draft pick :picard:

12 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Cap gymnastics aside, if you’re selling Hughes you’re basically rebuilding.  At that point you may as well keep OEL and bank as many assets as possible.

I thought management might look to strongly re-tool around Petey and Hughes after we traded Horvat but the Hronek deal wiped that off the map. We’re moving forward.

Good chance OEL will be bought out before his contract is up but every year we keep him takes 2 off the penalty and lowers the hit.  In the mean time it pays to see if he can bounce back.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1