The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Green joins Devils' coaching staff

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Maybe it had more to do with the crappy teams the idiot GM gave him to work with.  

We crap all over anyone that leaves but he never had much to work with.  

There is a reason we are working so hard to tear apart the team JB built.

Alway easy to blame the coach and people always think they know more than the coach (they don't).

Except when the better coaches in this league can work with whatever they have. All Green’s "structure" was, was sit back and hope Markstrom or whoever was in net can bail us out. You can still see the stench this guy left with this team by the way they play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Maybe it had more to do with the crappy teams the idiot GM gave him to work with.  

We crap all over anyone that leaves but he never had much to work with.  

There is a reason we are working so hard to tear apart the team JB built.

Alway easy to blame the coach and people always think they know more than the coach (they don't).

Here's the thing. Benning gave him something like 6 seasons of employment. During this time, Green has not had a winning record, whether this is the AHL or the NHL. Green has also had input on all the players on his lineups. You cannot absolve Green of that. Green's style of coaching is not proven whatsoever.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

Except when the better coaches in this league can work with whatever they have. All Green’s "structure" was, was sit back and hope Markstrom or whoever was in net can bail us out. You can still see the stench this guy left with this team by the way they play. 

He played the same structure that Vegas just won the cup with.  Vegas was just suited better to that style.

The team stank, was that partially coaching sure but the crap Benning gave him to work with year after year was terrible.

I get accused of being biased when I say a crappy player is a crappy player but everyone craps all over TG, then they crap all over the second winningest coach in NHL history because he couldn't get the country club to play hard and then Tocchet comes in and they start to break up the country club because that crappy team was not built to win.  

He coached the team assembled by a man who will go down as one of the worse GMs in league history.  But must be all his fault.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, DrJockitch said:

He played the same structure that Vegas just won the cup with.  Vegas was just suited better to that style.

The team stank, was that partially coaching sure but the crap Benning gave him to work with year after year was terrible.

I get accused of being biased when I say a crappy player is a crappy player but everyone craps all over TG, then they crap all over the second winningest coach in NHL history because he couldn't get the country club to play hard and then Tocchet comes in and they start to break up the country club because that crappy team was not built to win.  

He coached the team assembled by a man who will go down as one of the worse GMs in league history.  But must be all his fault.

It's because the team needs accountability. Tocchet actually keeps people in line. Green, on the other hand, played favourites.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I’m sorry but LOL you can’t actually be serious can you? There’s sticking up for a guy then there’s blatantly lying about how someone coached like you’re doing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ex-canucks-coach-travis-green-back-in-nhl

Green hasn’t coached in the NHL since December 4, 2021, when the Canucks lost on home ice, 4-1 to the Pittsburgh Penguins. He, along with Jim Benning, John Weisbrod, and Nolan Baumgartner, was fired the next day.

While Green wasn’t an NHL coach last year, he did get paid like one. The Canucks reportedly paid him $2.75 million, given it was the last year of his guaranteed contract.

Edited by Mackcanuck

Personally, felt he was an above average coach.  At the NHL level.  Given we had a way below average roster though out his time with us.   Yet some people, still think it's coaching.  Going all the way back to AV. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Personally, felt he was an above average coach.  At the NHL level.  Given we had a way below average roster though out his time with us.   Yet some people, still think it's coaching.  Going all the way back to AV. 

It was both imo

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’m sorry but LOL you can’t actually be serious can you? There’s sticking up for a guy then there’s blatantly lying about how someone coached like you’re doing. 

Defensive shell, don't give up the middle of the ice, push players to the outside and shoot from anywhere.  Same system in both instances.

Sorry if this doesn't fit your narrative but to call me a liar here is beyond the pale.  

But to just keep attacking someone because they had the misfortune of coaching for one of the worst GMs out there is dumb.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

He was decent to start for us, but not good by the end. The bubble team was a lot of fun. Maybe he'll last longer this time. 

AJ.  He was actually correct in working his butt off in the pre-season to find the guys who could PK.   He lost his entire unit.   Picked Chiasson.  Who turned out to be the right guy as the last forward.

For sure it was a management error.   Bruce lost his job too, with a worse record than Green had this season.   And had more time with the same roster.  

Green tried to instill a defensive rule book.   I didn't like his D coach and never did, at the same time he wasn't wrong working with what he had either.   

When Bruce came in and we had that bump, all the hot air blew out of the room.  But like the media pointed out, Greens lessons didn't just leave either - a lot of one goal game losses.

Green had to deal with covid.   And a truly inferior roster most of his tenure with us.   And so much roster change year to year.   Doesn't get any credit for Brock, or QHs, or Pearson, or EP.  Yet he was the one giving them the minutes.   Or how he utilized LE.  

To me his rosters overachieved somewhat.   Was supposed to be our down years yet they weren't so terrible.   

Not at all surprised to see him get another chance, or that a bunch of teams are interested in him either.   Hope this time,  he sticks with good rosters.   A good roster makes a good coach.    NJ is a good roster.   And Lindy Ruff won't be doing this forever either. 

Know this goes against the grain, but do think Green is an above average NHL coach.   Because that was his results with a below average team.   He took a shit sand which and made it into meatloaf, or lemons into lemonade with us.   Just go see how those guys who went to ARI managed. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Remember all the clamouring around here when a big group of people were hailing him as the be all, end all, coaching messiah ... rocking back and forth, chanting Green, Green, Green, we need Travis Green ... because he was supposed to be a genius at coaching young prospects ... 

If I had to guess, I'd say all the "pro Green" talk was really more "anti Willie D" sentiment. 

Anyway ... I like the guy. I wish him well. He tried while he was here and it didn't work out. He does deserve another kick at the can to become a better coach. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Defensive shell, don't give up the middle of the ice, push players to the outside and shoot from anywhere.  Same system in both instances.

Sorry if this doesn't fit your narrative but to call me a liar here is beyond the pale.  

But to just keep attacking someone because they had the misfortune of coaching for one of the worst GMs out there is dumb.

Bingo.   The Canucks would have done better if we found a different patsy.   So we could have truly bottomed out.   Green haters got their own back when Bruce just couldn't do it.   And sure goaltending and all that as well.   Tochett sure has a lot of great things to say about Green too.    Maybe that should be brought up as well.   He thinks he's a very good coach.    

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's because the team needs accountability. Tocchet actually keeps people in line. Green, on the other hand, played favourites.

Sure.   Guy has a crap roster but some people think he's supposed to win the cup or something.   Third coach now.  It's not the coach.   Tochett thinks Green is a good coach.  So does most of the entire hockey world, aside from our fanbase, so we must be right.   Because somehow; despite all the play drivers succeeding under his coaching, 3 Calders in a row, every single year massive roster change.   It's somehow it's what?  Green playing favourites?  Were you one of those guys who felt Green was in JV's way?  Despite giving him targets to meet each off season, and coming in out of shape?   Played him like a piano.  Tochett loves Green.    Every single season under Green, we rarely got blown out.   And every time we went on a losing streak, some of it covid, he brought the team back to life.     He got fired going 2/3.  But 5 x 5 he did great.   Special teams blah yeck.   He lost the room.   But really the upset was always about JB eneptitide.  Could have kept Tanev.  Could have kept Edler.  Could have kept TT.  

Just like MG.  We'd have been better off keeping the coach and firing the manager. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Remember all the clamouring around here when a big group of people were hailing him as the be all, end all, coaching messiah ... rocking back and forth, chanting Green, Green, Green, we need Travis Green ... because he was supposed to be a genius at coaching young prospects ... 

If I had to guess, I'd say all the "pro Green" talk was really more "anti Willie D" sentiment. 

Anyway ... I like the guy. I wish him well. He tried while he was here and it didn't work out. He does deserve another kick at the can to become a better coach. 

Nope.  All I remember is why would we promote him instead of hiring an experienced  coach.   Despite putting his time in. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1