The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teams will not wear specialty jerseys in warmups next season

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Mixing of sports and politics is unavoidable.  1972 wouldn't mean as much to us if it hasn't been in the middle of the Cold War.

Good Politics: Russians = Bad

Bad Politics: Rainbow = Good

Learn the difference!

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have been around long enough to take @Master Mind's brown bags as a compliment. 

I think they need a reusable bag emoji just for you. Brown paper bags are not good for the planet and you over use them. 

Ideally the confusey would be an option instead.

But yeah, I think mocking people's beliefs for the sake of mocking them is in poor taste.

It just divides people more.

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I was really looking forward to Heterosexual night, oh well..maybe a different life time.

Get back to me when you have been physically attacked, persecuted etc for being hetero and actually think how beyond stupid this tired rhetoric is. 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Get back to me when you have been physically attacked, persecuted etc for being hetero and actually think how beyond stupid this tired rhetoric is. 

I'm East Indian, Canadian really but been called every name in the book while playing peewee to Triple A..Racist as it get's, Took it like a champ. Go grow a pair.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

NHL has no problem promoting gambling but cave to people that are scared of colors. The real problem people should be pushing back against are these damn gambling ads.

Watch the jerseys come back in a couple of years infested with ads.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I'm East Indian, Canadian really but been called every name in the book while playing peewee to Triple A..Racist as it get's, Took it like a champ. Go grow a pair.

Nah I'll stick with being decent and respectful to all including LGBTQ as well as minorities just like everyone else. I also won't be celebrating the loss of these warm up jerseys for cause games either, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

But yeah, I think mocking people's beliefs for the sake of mocking them is in poor taste.

It's actually a valid point, if you remove this where does it end, Religion and the anthems should be removed as well.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's also mostly compostable (depending on production method), but they haven't gotten to the point yet where paper bags can be made of 100% post-consumer fibre, so there's always going to be some introduction of fresh pulp from recently-felled trees in today's paper bags.  Still not the best option for sustainability.

Trees you can plant more. Plastic is not bio-degradable. So basically plastic gets shredded (maybe) and micro plastics get into the soil, and possibly into the ocean or lakes.

You're stuck with the least damaging alternative. This is why I'm a fan of glass. Even though companies hate it for handling. Because glass can be melted down and used again.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Just for the record none of the other major league sports have speciality jerseys made during warmups/pregame.

Watched Lions vs Blue Bombers last night. 
I don’t recall seeing a single charity, special interest group, minority or gambling site being promoted.
No extra jerseys, no digital advertisements during play, no requests for money or donations. 
It was refreshing and enjoyable compared to watching an NHL broadcast. 

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

It's a bit of a  something burger.

A vocal minority forced change based on make believe, fantasy stuff. It's 2023 for sky fairie's sake. 

We fans pay these players salaries. WE fans are the reason this league exists. The will of the vast majority should have some influence. 

Like any company, the NHL will have a code of conduct and policies. It needs to be updated and implemented. 

That said the league is going to shit. Sports betting and ads everywhere etc..

That’s your opinion only. It’s a nothing bigger. Nobody even watches the warmups. The theme nights and the making and the selling of the jerseys for profit will still happen. 

13 teams last year didn’t even bother to wear the jerseys in warmup so it was already almost half the league. So unless you force the players to do it then you have to eliminate that situation entirely which is exactly what the NHL has done. 

The league isn’t going to shit. Stop being melodramatic. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s your opinion only. It’s a nothing bigger. Nobody even watches the warmups. The theme nights and the making and the selling of the jerseys for profit will still happen. 

13 teams last year didn’t even bother to wear the jerseys in warmup so it was already almost half the league. So unless you force the players to do it then you have to eliminate that situation entirely which is exactly what the NHL has done. 

The never ending gambling ads is extremely nauseating to be fair. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

It might be in poor taste. However, one of the worlds best comedy troupe's bread and butter, Monty Python, was mocking this subject. They actually helped me growing up realise how it all shouldn't be taken too seriously as it is made up. Not based in anything, at all. Fantasy. Not something to fear, other than some of the followers I suppose. 

I think people need to be open to discussion and try not to be so offended.

For example, I just mentioned this the other day, I have beliefs that are actually based on science. Reality.  I get mocked by many because I am a compassionate vegetarian. As in, even though I think it is a healthier diet, I do it because some animals that people eat are sentient. I don't get offended by the 'mmmm bacon' jokes. It revolts me as I always think it could be 'mmmm toddlers' for the reason that pigs feel, think, and are aware at the level of a 3 years old. Still, I'm part of this society so I wont just shut them down, or cancel their opinions over some jokes. 

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You can recycle paper.

I was thinking along these lines but don't know enough on the subject.

https://www.reusethisbag.com/articles/the-truth-about-paper-bags#:~:text=Paper bags generate 70 more,costs more fuel per bag.

Paper bags generate 70 more air pollutants than plastic. They generate 50 times more water pollutants than plastic. It takes 91 percent less energy to recycle a plastic bag than it does a paper bag. Paper bags are very thick, so shipping them costs more fuel per bag.

3 hours ago, Mando27 said:

NHL has no problem promoting gambling but cave to people that are scared of colors. The real problem people should be pushing back against are these damn gambling ads.

Belgium and Ireland are doing something about that. Hope Canada considers the same. 

https://labour.ie/news/2023/03/09/ireland-must-follow-belgiums-lead-and-ban-gambling-ads/

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/11/15/new-gambling-law-will-ban-all-social-media-advertising/

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You think it's only my opinion? I don't think so, read the thread.

Some people watch the warm ups at the Arena. I love seeing the team skate around in different unis. 

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed EP? It is not just my opinion that the league is going to shit. Viewership is down, they have ads all over the unis and helmets, the reffing seems worse than ever, the vitual ads take away from the home experience, the relentless gambling push is turning people off ( as I mentioned globally) and the league even gets chirped by chumps like Dana White. He's not wrong.

You sure I'm just being meodramtic?  come one man.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2