The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal/poll] Canucks - Predators

Would you make this trade?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This was discussed on Canucks Central yesterday:

to Nashville: 11OA, Garland

to Vancouver: 15OA, Fabbro, 2nd (2024)

This is tempting for me. Would you be happy with this trade?

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 3

Here’s a look at the consensus rankings to

see the difference from 11 to 15:

Could contain: Page, Text, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Number, Symbol

seems like we could still get one

of our targets at 15.

We also gain $2.4M cap flexibility this season, while addressing one of our needs on defence. 

That could put us in play for higher quality UFA and/or trade targets.

Believe they suggested the 2nd would be for 2024, which we don’t currently have.

• Cheers 1

I'd do that trade. I think there will be lots of strong options at 15OA.

With so many talented players in this top 20-25, if we can help the team by moving one of our excess wingers, acquiring a much needed RD that can play defense, clearing some cap space, and still pick one of our top guys I think we should absolutely do the trade.

I wonder if Nashville does this? What are they really getting out of this trade? Gaining some offense through Garland is valuable (NSH was 6th worst GF last season), but I think unless they have a specific player they want at 11, what's the value for NSH?

Getting Fabbro makes it easier to offload Myers to say, Chicago, without putting too much pressure on our young D prospects to perform.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I'd do that trade. I think there will be lots of strong options at 15OA.

With so many talented players in this top 20-25, if we can help the team by moving one of our excess wingers, acquiring a much needed RD that can play defense, clearing some cap space, and still pick one of our top guys I think we should absolutely do the trade.

I wonder if Nashville does this? What are they really getting out of this trade? Gaining some offense through Garland is valuable (NSH was 6th worst GF last season), but I think unless they have a specific player they want at 11, what's the value for NSH?

Getting Fabbro makes it easier to offload Myers to say, Chicago, without putting too much pressure on our young D prospects to perform.

Garland only broke the 20 goal barrier once in his career (and that was with Arizona).  But his value is more than his goal scoring (which lets face it, it ain't alot).  It'll depend on the other intangibles he brings (being a pain in the ass to play *against*, energy player, etc.,) & how much the Preds will place a value on that.

• Cheers 1

I like it, especially if there is belief Danielson will slide to 15 and we can pick up a RHD through the trade to ease the pressure of drafting a d-man high this year. 

For the same reason would you have interest in:

To Calgary: 11OA, Garland

To Van: 16OA, Rasmus Andersson 

It's going down one more spot but is Andersson worth it? I wonder if Calgary would bite considering they have several forwards already saying they aren't resigning. This gives them a solid middle 6 winger with term.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Great question. It may be good optically, as they face their own retool, to trade up for a better prospect. More offence, as you mentioned, and moving on from Fabbro (re-signing one year at $2.5M says they’re not married to him)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

I like it, especially if there is belief Danielson will slide to 15 and we can pick up a RHD through the trade to ease the pressure of drafting a d-man high this year. 

For the same reason would you have interest in:

To Calgary: 11OA, Garland

To Van: 16OA, Rasmus Andersson 

It's going down one more spot but is Andersson worth it? I wonder if Calgary would bite considering they have several forwards already saying they aren't resigning. This gives them a solid middle 6 winger with term.

Not sure that is enough of an enticement to take Garland for Andersson.  Feel like we are a fairly high pick short on this deal.

32 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Garland only broke the 20 goal barrier once in his career (and that was with Arizona).  But his value is more than his goal scoring (which lets face it, it ain't alot).  It'll depend on the other intangibles he brings (being a pain in the ass to play *against*, energy player, etc.,) & how much the Preds will place a value on that.

Trotz did say he was looking for a more entertaining style of play and players, and Garland sure is entertaining. Who else can skate 50 miles in a phone booth?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Maybe you wait and see if the small winger dropping trend repeats itself. I’d take Benson and or Reinbacher if either fell to 11th if not make this trade and get one of Willander or Simishev.

I just don't take the chance on a small winger who isn't a great skater with this high a pick.  I think you can have too many of those and we do.

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I just don't take the chance on a small winger who isn't a great skater with this high a pick.  I think you can have too many of those and we do.

This kids vision and determination is incredible. Could he play center at the next level? Right now he’s a winger because he plays with Savoie who is a Center. If he could adapt to the Center position he could be a Brayden Point type player. It’s just whether or not you believe he’s good enough to play the Center position.

I'd do it for sure, ask if we can get one of their 2023 2nd round picks though. I doubt they add the 2nd in any case though. Fabbro's value is probably more than Garland + moving up a couple of spaces in the draft to be honest, he's a consistent 20+ minute defenceman. Not flashy, doesn't excel at anything but consistent for sure. Garland is the opposite - flashy and inconsistent and with a big cap hit. I think swap the 2nd for like a 5th and it's probably more fair but I'd be happy with a 2nd for sure.

At 15OA, we clearly take the best available defenceman too. One of ASP, Reinbacher or Willander will still be available, if not Simashev. If somehow they're all gone then there'll be a good forward still around, but we have to be thinking all D, and we'd probably get a stab at Willander at the 15th spot to be honest so that's a great trade all up. With the 2nd, we take yet another defender. Lindstein, Gulyayev, Dragicevic, Bonk, maybe Strbak should all be around then. Walk into the draft with 3 NHL defencemen under contract, walk out with a top-4 RD for Hughes and an entire future 2nd defensive pairing in 3-5 years.

3 hours ago, grumpyone said:

this looks like a draft floor type of deal.

if the player that we REALLY want either isn't there @11 or we think we can get @ 15 then do it.

I agree - I’ve been saying for awhile Allvin’s probably waiting until the draft to make his signature move so far.  

It might not materialize, but that’s where he’ll have the chance.  Could be a very conservative offseason if he can’t make something happen tomorrow (which could still be fine.)