The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would have preferred Holl over Cole to be honest and especially for the price-tag. Holl is a pretty big, good-skating RD who can play 20 minutes easily. He didn't end up costing too much either. 

You can’t plug a hole with another Holl

• Cheers 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Kuzmenko - Petey - Boeser

Beauvillier - Miller - Garland 

Mikheyev - Bleuger - Podkolzin 

Pearson - Aman - PDG 

Studnicka 

Hoglander may spend another year developing in Abby

I think they find a way to trade a winger. 

• There it is 1

20 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would have preferred Holl over Cole to be honest and especially for the price-tag. Holl is a pretty big, good-skating RD who can play 20 minutes easily. He didn't end up costing too much either. 

Holl is crap and probably wanted more term. Love Cole for one year. 

Edited by rekker
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

Holl is crap and probably wanted more term. Love Cole foe one year. 

Holl did want more term.

He signed for 4 years and more money.

If you’re gonna compare a signing it should be to the Soucy one. I’m perfectly happy with the Soucy deal though.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Yes, but regardless I think one of Beauvillier or Garland are dealt this offseason. 

Still too many Wingers 

Petey, Miller, Blueger at c

Kuzmenko,Mikheyev, Beauvillier, Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander maybe Pearson 

Joshua, Dries, Aman, Studnicka floating around too

Based on the tried and true reality that UFA is typically a 'suckers' game I'd say management exercised very astute restraint.   

Unlike others I'm not gonna say we have a great D all of a sudden, rather we finally have an actual NHL level D ad opposed to what we were icing for several seasons now.

For me, the single most important thing management did today is NOT put future seasons at risk financially while still improving for the short-term,  not an easy feat given our cap situation. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Would love for us to go after Andrew Peeke. 

Klimovich, 2024 3rd, 2026 2nd for Peeke?

Too many assets given up for a young Gudbranson type.

If we’re giving up those kinds of assets Id rather just up the package and go for Pesce.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Would love for us to go after Andrew Peeke. 

Klimovich, 2024 3rd, 2026 2nd for Peeke?

Columbus is moving towards competing this year, especially now that they have a potential superstar 1C on an ELC. Wonder if they see any value in a Garland/Beauvillier type player for Peeke? Probably not, but they may like Garlands 5v5 prowess. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Based on the tried and true reality that UFA is typically a 'suckers' game I'd say management exercised very astute restraint.   

Unlike others I'm not gonna say we have a great D all of a sudden, rather we finally have an actual NHL level D ad opposed to what we were icing for several seasons now.

For me, the single most important thing management did today is NOT put future seasons at risk financially while still improving for the short-term,  not an easy feat given our cap situation. 

But there's only been a couple true bad deals today. Holl and Reeves. 

Glad they avoided those but it was more about the flat cap than anything else 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People can complain about who they’d want over who but credit to management they identified their guys based on an obvious team weakness and went out and got them.

Didn’t go crazy with term or dollars either.

Still some work to do with the bottom 6 and in a perfect world Id like us to acquire another top 4 RHD but it’s looking much better already.

Agree but do we need to fill all the voids through free agency?  

If we are patient and keep some cap space, we could actually trade for guys like Bjorkstrand or Pacioretty last year, who were basically given away.

Who knows, Carolina spent a lot today, maybe Pesce will be available for cheaper than we thought 

Honestly I’d pack it in for Free agency and play the waiting game.  We don’t need to fix all our problems today, which imo was the problem with Benning, because he could didn’t mean he should of.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1