The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

The next addition should be a 3rd C that is capable of stepping into a 2nd line role in case of injuries. 

Blueger is IMO a cup contending 4th C who can step into a 3rd C role in case of injuries. 

The road to the cup is paved with broken down rosters. The Florida panthers were not prepared that. We must be. 

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we manage to pull another solid C that’s good enough to push Bleuger down the to 4th line than I like our C depth next year. 

Yup, love it if we can still land Sundqvist (might be too $) or Suter.

Would also be thrilled with either of Fischer or Asplund to replace some of (hopefully moved) Beau/Garland/Boeser

Nice to see nothing g splashy. Prudent moves. 
As others have clearly stated there’s a couple months left before training camp. 2 months of I don’t give a hockey damn . 
I like the sound approach here. I also like that Miller is still a Canuck 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol with what cap space?

Pens acquiring Karlsson is never gonna happen.

Talking heads were mentioning a 3rd party retaining cap scenario.   It's been done before so.....who knows?

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Really good day for the Canucks. We have a stronger back end. If we can squeeze in Compher, it's really, really good.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

... credit to management they identified their guys based on an obvious team weakness and went out and got them.

38 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

And a 3rd line centre who specializes on the PK.

Essentially both defenders and this centre are very good at the PK.

Yay! No more worst PK in the NHL. ...

I am positive about today. Rutherford has a reputation for being one of the best roster builders out there. (A nice change from the last guy, who was one of the worst.)

In a recent interview JR (or maybe it was Allvin) said something about building a good top 4 even if you don't 4 guys with individual top 4 talent. I can't remember his exact words, but the idea was that you can build around two high-end talents (Hughes and Hronek in this case) with two guys who can be effective complementary players.

We have already seen this, as Hughes combined with Schenn, Bear, and Juulsen at various times on a top pairing that held its own as a top pairing even though none of those other guys is a legitimate individual top 4 talent (although Bear might be close).

Soucy and Cole can be both be good complementary players in the top 4 with Hughes and Hronek as puck carriers. And they are both very good on the PK, which is huge.

Similarly, Blueger is not a 3C in terms of individual talent, but he is good on the PK, pretty good at face-offs, and reliable defensively. He is certainly a significant upgrade at 3C over Dries or Aman (although Aman is young enough that we should expect further progress). But with the Canuck strength at the wing position. adding Blueger should allow the Canucks to ice a good 3rd line that can hold its own defensively (instead of getting torched as it often did last year).

In a sense all three guys are being "overpaid" relative to their performance last year but when you sign UFAs in a high tax area that is going to happen. The key thing is to get guys who fill spots where they have high value as complementary players so their cap hits end up being ok.

It would be great if JR and Allvin can pull it off. I feel good about their approach unlike in the Benning regime when, every summer, I would say to myself what the F... is he doing, just adding seemingly random high cost players that did not fit any reasonable plan.

Anyway, I am surprisingly happy with what has happened in free agency so far. .

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

this. 

Even if they don't. Spending that ltir would be pretty ballzy considering we have to extend Pete Hronek and fill an absolute ton of roster spots next year. Thought we bought out OEL to get ourselves out of cap hell.

Myers expiring should basically cover the raises to Hronek and Petey.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yup, love it if we can still land Sundqvist (might be too $) or Suter.

Would also be thrilled with either of Fischer or Asplund to replace some of (hopefully moved) Beau/Garland/Boeser

Yeah the more we bolster the bottom 6 the better. If you’re not prepared for injuries in the playoffs you it can cost you as it ended up doing so with the Panthers. 

Fischer is a guy I like too. He had the best PK stats out of all Yotes. They were scored on more when he wasn’t on the PK. 

Our D-core only needs a solid top 4 RD(Hughes partner) and I would call it a playoff worthy D-core for the season. 

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

It would be great if JR and Allvin can pull it off. I feel good about their approach unlike in the Benning regime when, every summer, I would say to myself what the F... is he doing, just adding seemingly random high cost players that did not fit any reasonable plan.

Exactly. JB would of signed a D like Klingberg to a five year deal today. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

In a recent interview JR said something about building a good top 4 even if you don't 4 guys with individual top 4 talent. I can't remember his exact words, but the idea was that you can build around two high-end talents (Hughes and Hronek in this case) with two guys who can be effective complementary players.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Canadian GIF by GIPHY Studios 2021

but I am not excited about any of the moves by Alvin and his chipmunks....it is all BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

Elaine Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

until the puck drops for real....and for Miller, Petey, and Hughesy and company to show us what they really got...

6 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Soooooooo

Beau EP Kuz

Mik JT Boeser

Pearson Blueger Garland

DJ Aman Podz

PDJ/Hogs/Abby youth

QH Soucy

Cole Hronek

xx Myers

xx = Wolanin, Juulsen, Brisebois, Hirose, 

Demko

xx

Garland needs to go and be replaced with Fischer (or Asplund)

Bonus points if we add Sundqvist or Suter at C as well.

And I'd wager you flip Cole and Soucy.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Garland needs to go and be replaced with Fischer (or Asplund)

Bonus points if we add Sundqvist or Suter at C as well.

They get the golden ticket if they manage to pull a top 4 D out of their arse on top of a solid a 3rd C who can step into 2nd C when injuries hit. 

D-depth would be undeniably good on the roster. Top 4 goes down Soucy is better suited for stepping in than a youngster. 

My ideal free agency was 2 roster Cs and Ds. They got 3/4 so far. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Apparently PA is still working…might see more moves today

Myers, Garland and every 2024 draft pick for EK and get the final push to be a contender for Hughes four years.

Who needs any pivks next year if so.

• Haha 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

Myers, Garland and every 2024 draft pick for EK and get the final push to be a contender for Hughes four years.

Who needs any pivks next year if so.

A PP with

Kuz-Miller-Petey

Karlsson-Hughes 

does sound pretty fire. It seems more of a pipe dream though. 

• Cheers 1