The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hughes  Hronek

Soucy  Cole

Wolanin  Myers

Breezer  Jules

16 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

QH Soucy

Cole Hronek

Hirose Myers

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Cole

Soucy, Hronek

Irwin/prospect, Myers

Hughes - Juulsen

Soucy - Hronek

Cole - Myers

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I can’t imagine they were interested in O’Reilly without thinking they needed more of an upgrade there.

There’s still cheaper options available, but my guess is they try to do a winger for center trade.

Hope that’s exactly what happens. 

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hughes  Hronek

Soucy  Cole

Wolanin  Myers

Breezer  Jules

18 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

QH Soucy

Cole Hronek

Hirose Myers

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hughes, Sooz

Hiho, Hronek

Cole , Myers

Add a offensive kid.

Try Rath too maybe in for Hiho

I wouldn't rule out Irwin, a vet like him didn't sign here simply to report to Abbotsford. He clearly sees an opportunity here.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

the two best dmen should be on the top pair, imo.  I'd at least be starting that way

It's pretty clear management plans to have Hughes and Hronek carry seperate pairs, with complementary, defensive partners IMO.

Two good pairs is better, eats up more minutes, and more of a match up issue for opponents. Well likely only see Hughes-Hronek together in trailing situations etc IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Will we do a Thing on Day Two?

Seems to me that by declaring OEL's buyout so early, Alvin clearly had a deal or two already up his sleeve.  I doubt Aqua sanction it otherwise.  Getting past the draft and then seeing which free agents we could sign today was essential before pulling the trigger on any trades - maybe Alvin already found what he wanted.  But I'd bet that at least a couple of these previously agreed deals will be finalized soon: could be tomorrow if Alvin's targets look to be gaining other GM's interest. For sure, today's opportunities will evaporate during July.

FWIW, Alvin grades an A from me for both drafting and FA day. 

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I wouldn't rule out Irwin, a vet like him didn't sign here simply to report to Abbotsford. He clearly sees an opportunity here.

End of his career, in his home province, 200 AHL games under his belt, two way deal.  Obviously he'll fight for a spot, but I think it's a safe bet that they told him Abby is a very real possibility.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Cole

Soucy, Hronek

Irwin/prospect, Myers

I think Hirose will be good enough to creep into the top 6 and maybe make top 4 by seasons end if he plays like he did during his audition.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's pretty clear management plans to have Hughes and Hronek carry seperate pairs, with complementary, defensive partners IMO.

Two good pairs is better, eats up more minutes, and more of a match up issue for opponents. Well likely only see Hughes-Hronek together in trailing situations etc IMO.

You think it's better, that doesn't mean it "is" better.  Had they signed a legit top 4 dman, if probably agree, but all you're going to do is water down Hughes and Hronek.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Screw said:

I think Hirose will be good enough to creep into the top 6 and maybe make top 4 by seasons end if he plays like he did during his audition.

I think Hirose spends the year in Abby, playing big mins.  They seem pretty dedicated to development 

7 minutes ago, Screw said:

He's in the list of possible "/prospects" there at 3LD.

But it wouldn't be awful to have him playing big minutes in Abby and one of the first call ups.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He's in the list of possible "/prospects" there at 3LD.

But it wouldn't be awful to have him playing big minutes in Abby and I've of the first call ups.

I also doubt that isn't wolanins spot to lose.  I mean, the guy was the AHL dman of the year, is in the prime of his career and is a Sol d offensive damn........ it'd be pretty crappy if they didn't give him the inside track to 3LD

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think Hirose spends the year in Abby, playing big mins.  They seem pretty dedicated to development 

I see this too Stawns, not just with Hirose, but especially with the FA signings today, allowing for a patient development under Colliton.

Who seems to totally have his shit together.

Canucks never, ever, had this before.

Future is so bright.

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I feel like he's insurance just in case we trade Myers.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I also doubt that isn't wolanins spot to lose.  I mean, the guy was the AHL dman of the year, is in the prime of his career and is a Sol d offensive damn........ it'd be pretty crappy if they didn't give him the inside track to 3LD

Internal competition = winning B)

8 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Sometimes J-Pat comes off as Drance light and is annoying how everything isn't good enough. And everything some other team is doing is just right. But he nails today I think. 

We gotta hope that the forwards we added work better on the PK than Curtis Lazzar did. 

Began watching this earlier, turned it off.

Won't ever do so again.

Do not like these smarmy guys.

No reason after today's signings to adopt such f**kin' negativity.

• Cheers 1