The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Alex Newhook to Canadiens for Gianni Fairbrother, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, Pears said:

He’s been a good player his entire career. I wouldn’t give him 7 years or anything like that but he’d be a welcome addition regardless where he plays. 

Yep agreed he's a good player. I just don't think we should overbid. I feel some teams would be willing to give him that big contract based on his performance with Vegas. 

Anybody willing to do this? Not sure MTL does though.

MTL trades:

5th overall

Radek Dvorak

Arber Xhekaj

VAN trades:

11th overall

2024 1st round pick

2025 2nd round pick 

Connor Garland

Jack Rathbone 

On our end is it overpayment to move up 6 spots?

MTL ditches Dvorak’s contract now that he’s a 4th line C. We get an ideal RD in Wifi whom MTL would obviously be reluctant to give up. 

But, It addresses need and gets us into another potential franchise C drafting territory. Or, we turn around and trade that #5 tomorrow.

Edited by RWJC

45 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

30 point center fetched a 1st and a 2nd? Montreal super desperate for a center. Lol.

Newhook is young, only 22 and really only just coming into his own. Lets see what else they do. Is it possible that they needed another center as part of a trade for Dubois or to replace someone they are likely to lose as part of a trade? 

11 minutes ago, Calvin's Dog said:

Maybe they acquired Newhook to include in a PLD trade? I think Jets want Nhl players back not picks. So they used the picks they would have used for PLD to get an asset Jests want? 

Dubois is going to LA.  

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Anybody willing to do this? Not sure MTL does though.

MTL trades:

5th overall

Radek Dvorak

Arber Xhekaj

VAN trades:

11th overall

2024 1st round pick

2025 2nd round pick 

Connor Garland

Jack Rathbone 

On our end is it overpayment to move up 6 spots?

MTL ditches Dvorak’s contract now that he’s a 4th line C. We get an ideal RD in Wifi whom MTL would obviously be reluctant to give up. 

But, It addresses need and gets us into another potential franchise C drafting territory. Or, we turn around and trade that #5 tomorrow.

Montréal definitely doesn’t do it 

• Upvote 1

Just now, cripplereh said:

What is Montreal doing?

Same thing they did with Dach. Taking a chdnce on a young pjs yet who hasn’t met expectations yet.  They have a lot of prospects and draft capital and are utilizing it to get guys who fit with their core.  They now have Dach, Caufiejd abd Newhook from the 1st round of the 2019 draft  

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Same thing they did with Dach. Taking a chdnce on a young pjs yet who hasn’t met expectations yet.  They have a lot of prospects and draft capital and are utilizing it to get guys who fit with their core.  They now have Dach, Caufiejd abd Newhook from the 1st round of the 2019 draft  

I see that but chances can turn around and bite you.

Giving up picks in this draft you better be sure and to me in 5 years the picks should be better then what they got.

Just now, cripplereh said:

I see that but chances can turn around and bite you.

Giving up picks in this draft you better be sure and to me in 5 years the picks should be better then what they got.

We’re talking 31 and 37. Not top 10. Odds that the guys they would have drafted in those spots even make the team at some point are pretty low 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

May well be true. But Dubois would suit their small team better. Imho 

They aren’t that small.  They have a few small guys but the size thing is overblown.  I’ll take a smaller heart and soul 200 ft captain like Suzuki over a floater like Dubois every day of the week